Forums - PC Discussion - How do you get Civ 6 to not take 10,000 years per turn late game?

I love the Civ series. I've been playing it since Civ IV. I got into Civ VI back when it first launched, but I only got about 50 to 60 hours out of it. Why? Because I've just grown tired of turns taking forever once you hit the industrial age. I know about turning off animations, lowering the Civ count, and lowering the city state count. 

But how do you get Civ 6 to take 5-10 seconds per turn late game? Does it take a faster processor or what? Or are super long turns just something you have to deal with when playing Civ no matter your build? Is there some magic mod out there that fixes it? 

Edit: For clarity, the game can take up to a full minute between hitting the next turn button, and giving you control back . For a game in 2018. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 22 August 2018

The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

 

Around the Network

I think that's just how VI is from what I've been told can't really confirm as I mainly play V and Beyond and have yet to give VI a proper go but I've been hearing that late game is heavily drawn out.



VI is just slower than V in general. I don:t think it's ever taken more than 10-15 secs before for me though, on my old PC (core i7-4200u, 8GB RAM) it took about 15 secs in the late game, now with my new one (core i5-8250u, 16GB RAM) it takes about 10.



Cerebralbore101 said:

I love the Civ series. I've been playing it since Civ IV. I got into Civ VI back when it first launched, but I only got about 50 to 60 hours out of it. Why? Because I've just grown tired of turns taking forever once you hit the industrial age. I know about turning off animations, lowering the Civ count, and lowering the city state count. 

But how do you get Civ 6 to take 5-10 seconds per turn late game? Does it take a faster processor or what? Or are super long turns just something you have to deal with when playing Civ no matter your build? Is there some magic mod out there that fixes it? 

Edit: For clarity, the game can take up to a full minute between hitting the next turn button, and giving you control back . For a game in 2018. 

Civilization is just very CPU demanding, it's the way it is.
It's a game that also tends to gobble up any CPU cores you can throw at it, so more the merrier. - I wouldn't personally be playing it on anything less than a 6-core CPU with HT.

What hardware are you running?



--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I love the Civ series. I've been playing it since Civ IV. I got into Civ VI back when it first launched, but I only got about 50 to 60 hours out of it. Why? Because I've just grown tired of turns taking forever once you hit the industrial age. I know about turning off animations, lowering the Civ count, and lowering the city state count. 

But how do you get Civ 6 to take 5-10 seconds per turn late game? Does it take a faster processor or what? Or are super long turns just something you have to deal with when playing Civ no matter your build? Is there some magic mod out there that fixes it? 

Edit: For clarity, the game can take up to a full minute between hitting the next turn button, and giving you control back . For a game in 2018. 

Civilization is just very CPU demanding, it's the way it is.
It's a game that also tends to gobble up any CPU cores you can throw at it, so more the merrier. - I wouldn't personally be playing it on anything less than a 6-core CPU with HT.

What hardware are you running?

AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor
AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
RAM 8 GB of Something or another. 
A small solid state for booting windows.
A 500 GB regular HDD of some sort.
Some sort of MSI board. I forget. A friend helped me pick the board years ago. 



The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

 

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I love the Civ series. I've been playing it since Civ IV. I got into Civ VI back when it first launched, but I only got about 50 to 60 hours out of it. Why? Because I've just grown tired of turns taking forever once you hit the industrial age. I know about turning off animations, lowering the Civ count, and lowering the city state count. 

But how do you get Civ 6 to take 5-10 seconds per turn late game? Does it take a faster processor or what? Or are super long turns just something you have to deal with when playing Civ no matter your build? Is there some magic mod out there that fixes it? 

Edit: For clarity, the game can take up to a full minute between hitting the next turn button, and giving you control back . For a game in 2018. 

Civilization is just very CPU demanding, it's the way it is.
It's a game that also tends to gobble up any CPU cores you can throw at it, so more the merrier. - I wouldn't personally be playing it on anything less than a 6-core CPU with HT.

What hardware are you running?

Err...

 

The turn calculation is single threaded since you really can't parallellise it. Any additional cores are just used to run UI.



I've never had a game where the turn took a minute+ for CPU teams to complete on any Civ game and I've been playing them since Civ2. My current PC is something I built in 2015 and I never buy highest end. It has a i5-4690k cpu and GTX 960 gpu. While I'm not playing Civ6 all that much right now, my son has games quite frequently.



Cerebralbore101 said:
Pemalite said:

Civilization is just very CPU demanding, it's the way it is.
It's a game that also tends to gobble up any CPU cores you can throw at it, so more the merrier. - I wouldn't personally be playing it on anything less than a 6-core CPU with HT.

What hardware are you running?

AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor
AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
RAM 8 GB of Something or another. 
A small solid state for booting windows.
A 500 GB regular HDD of some sort.
Some sort of MSI board. I forget. A friend helped me pick the board years ago. 

Maybe "for a game in 2018" you shouldn't use a CPU from 2012. To add to it AMD has a notoriously low single thread performance. Civ hasn't gotten less complex over the years.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Buy a 3DS and a copy of Pokemon. Turn times will still be long, but you won't notice since you'll be playing Pokemon while they take their sweet time



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Ka-pi96 said:
Buy a 3DS and a copy of Pokemon. Turn times will still be long, but you won't notice since you'll be playing Pokemon while they take their sweet time

How long are the turn times in Pokemon?



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.