By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How Much Do You Expect the Nintendo Switch to Sell Lifetime?

How Much Do You Expect the Nintendo Switch to Sell Lifetime?

Less Than 35 Million 74 3.82%

35-50 Million 155 8.01%

51-65 Million 209 10.80%

66-80 Million 461 23.82%

81-95 Million 448 23.15%

96-110 Million 343 17.73%

111-125 Million 91 4.70%

126-140 Million 47 2.43%

141-155 Million 18 0.93%

More Than 155 Million 89 4.60%

Total:1,935
BoseDK said:
zorg1000 said:

That is a terrible comparison, you are completely ignoring the fact that March 2017 was a launch month which counters the lack of Jan/Feb sales.

2017 vs 2017 is the correct comparison.

circumstances are immaterial. My point that 2017 was the peak year for switch is not diminished by the fact that it was it's launch year and also had the most popular games you can find on a Nintendo console, those are just good reasons for why it was so. 2018 is probably the next best chance in all honesty if holiday period can provide a big enough boost, after the Pokemon and SSB crowd is also in there's not much left afterwards to push sales. We've seen this with Nintendo consoles time and again, with their sales dropping like a rock after a couple years on the market. Nintendo has never had the library to keep a console selling close to 15-20 million units for 5+ years. Hell mostly they can't even sell 10+ million for that long.

No I'm saying you can't just ignore Jan/Feb of this year to fit your narrative.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
mZuzek said:

That's your opinion. Personally, I'd much rather have games announced closer to release than spend years in wait.

Just accept that not everyone sees things the same way as you.

I'm still gonna call out jerk behaviour when I see it. Keeping your fans in the dark for 14+ months on one of the most hyped titles you have coming is a horrible way to treat your fanbase.

Speak for yourself.

curl-6 said:
FarleyMcFirefly said:

Just the fact that it is in development is enough for me. I much prefer the way they are doing things with the Switch. I mean come on, Xenoblade, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, announced and released in 2017. Smash and Pokemon announced and will release this year. It's so much better this way.

Imagine the backlash Nintendo would have gotten for announcing Metroid Samus Returns (announced and released same year) without announcing a Metroid Prime game. People would have bitched and moaned. They were kind of in a lose lose situation there.

All I'm saying is, more concrete stuff to look forward to and get excited about = more hype = more fun = better. Imagine how awesome it'd be if we got fantastic MP4 and Bayonetta 3 trailers at this E3.

We got good trailers for Fire Emblem, Mario Party, Fortnite, Demon x Machina and Smash.  There wasn't a shortage of concrete stuff to look forward to out of E3.

Also, I disagree with your earlier reply to me trying to dismiss the value of Kirby and DKTF.  You may not like those games (I didn't go for either of them myself), but they're both popular games selling well.  

DreadPirateRoberts said:
curl-6 said:

All I'm saying is, more concrete stuff to look forward to and get excited about = more hype = more fun = better. Imagine how awesome it'd be if we got fantastic MP4 and Bayonetta 3 trailers at this E3.

We got good trailers for Fire Emblem, Mario Party, Fortnite, Demon x Machina and Smash.  There wasn't a shortage of concrete stuff to look forward to out of E3.

Also, I disagree with your earlier reply to me trying to dismiss the value of Kirby and DKTF.  You may not like those games (I didn't go for either of them myself), but they're both popular games selling well.  

Aside from Smash those are all B-tier games. Where were the new games on the level of last year's tentpole releases like Odyssey, BOTW, Xenoblade 2, Splatoon 2, Kingdom Battle?

DKTF is a four-year-old port and Kirby is hardly an A-tier affair. Is it really so much to ask that a successful new system have a steady flow of A-grade games?

curl-6 said:
DreadPirateRoberts said:

Aside from Smash those are all B-tier games. Where were the new games on the level of last year's tentpole releases like Odyssey, BOTW, Xenoblade 2, Splatoon 2, Kingdom Battle?

DKTF is a four-year-old port and Kirby is hardly an A-tier affair. Is it really so much to ask that a successful new system have a steady flow of A-grade games?

You are talking about sales, correct? Why do Xenoblade & Mario Rabbids count as tentpoles but Kirby, Donkey Kong, Labo & Mario Tennis, Octopath dont count when they have sold a similar amount as those games?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

You are talking about sales, correct? Why do Xenoblade & Mario Rabbids count as tentpoles but Kirby, Donkey Kong, Labo & Mario Tennis, Octopath dont count when they have sold a similar amount as those games?

Wasn't just talking about sales, but also quality. On the sales side though, stuff like Mario Tennis and old ports may bring in a few dollars, but it's not sustainable to rely on only these kind of games long term. If they want to reach 100 million, they're not going to get there on old ports and B-tier games alone, they'll need to start putting out a steady tempo of NEW big games again, stuff on the level of Splatoon, Odyssey, BOTW, etc.

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

Wasn't just talking about sales, but also quality. On the sales side though, stuff like Mario Tennis and old ports may bring in a few dollars, but it's not sustainable to rely on only these kind of games long term. If they want to reach 100 million, they're not going to get there on old ports and B-tier games alone, they'll need to start putting out a steady tempo of NEW big games again, stuff on the level of Splatoon, Odyssey, BOTW, etc.

Ok so ports dont count but you listed 2 other Wii U games in your last post, Mario Kart & Zelda. That brings it to just Splatoon & Odyssey as non ports/B their titles.

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Ok so ports dont count but you listed 2 other Wii U games in your last post, Mario Kart & Zelda. That brings it to just Splatoon & Odyssey as non ports/B their titles.

I did not list Mario Kart. BOTW wasn't an "old port" situation as it released the same day.

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

I did not list Mario Kart. BOTW wasn't an "old port" situation as it released the same day.

Whoops I thought I saw it listed earlier.

Regardless, you're putting in a whole bunch of qualifiers making games not count for arbitrary reasons.

It doesn't matter if a game is a late port if people aren't treating it as such and it doesn't matter if a game is "B-teir" if its selling hardware.

Jan, Feb, March, June & July were all very good months for Switch. April & May were a bit of a slump but overall its had a very good year in both hardware & software sales.

zorg1000 said:
curl-6 said:

Whoops I thought I saw it listed earlier.

Regardless, you're putting in a whole bunch of qualifiers making games not count for arbitrary reasons.

It doesn't matter if a game is a late port if people aren't treating it as such and it doesn't matter if a game is "B-teir" if its selling hardware.

Jan, Feb, March, June & July were all very good months for Switch. April & May were a bit of a slump but overall its had a very good year in both hardware & software sales.

Stuff like Kirby, Labo and DKTF didn't move hardware though, not to any significant degree. Their Q1 sales were flaccid as a result of over-reliance on old rope and B-tier titles.

Have we really set the standard for Nintendo so low that we're willing to accept only one top-tier new game from them in an entire year? If we let this behaviour slide, it will continue, and eventually we will never see games on the level of Odyssey or BOTW ever again.