By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could Pokemon 2019 make use of DLC like other Nintendo titles have been?

We've all heard that Pokemon's devs have felt a bit of a challenge or spark to do more after the success of Breath of the Wild and Odyssey, and one thing both of those titles (and others like Splatoon and Kirby) have been doing is DLC. 

Both in the 'continued updates after launch with new costumes, characters, and modes', and paid, larger expansions like Xenoblade 2's and Octo Expansion. 

Very few if anyone is complaining about it, and I'm curious how Pokemon might go about it. 

I admit I find the idea of Pokemon releasing additional player character customization an interesting idea, and there are a few ways I can see them implement updates to certain features (For example if there is a battle facility like the Battle Tree, I could see them adding in new characters from past games to battle.) 

Of course I am also a guy who would not mind Amiibo tied costume unlocks: being able to scan Mario to be able to get a Mario Cap for example I'd be all for. 

Yet I admit there is potential good from a paid DLC bit too: Would you pay a DLC cost for something like Rainbow Rocket instead of an entirely new game with a re-release? 

Would a DLC paid quest for legendaries be better than simple giveaways? 

Speak internet, speak!

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

I want DLC to include costumes and battle themes from past games, like how they were in Persona 5. If they decided to take their time and plan out event legendaries, I wouldn't be opposed to paying for them.

Please no. Don't give Game Freak excuses to take even content from game to game.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Got any examples of taken away content? I mean off the top of my head the main issues seem to be the SM National Dex and post game content (which I feel is arguable). 

You talking about things that were in one game but not in others, like Bug Catching Contests, Pokemon Contests, and Friend Safaris?

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

I really would more post-game content in Pokemon. Usually it's a couple of legendaries and the Battle Tower (or whatever different tag the game gives it). It's just gets dull after awhile.

In X and Y there was the rumour they would do DLC where you could supposedly access southern Kalos, but this turned out to be false. The most likely DLC would be where you could travel to other regions. I'd be open to this, but it would have the criticism of repetition, as you'd just be doing the gym challenge all over again.

Around the Network
SecondWar said:
I really would more post-game content in Pokemon. Usually it's a couple of legendaries and the Battle Tower (or whatever different tag the game gives it). It's just gets dull after awhile.

In X and Y there was the rumour they would do DLC where you could supposedly access southern Kalos, but this turned out to be false. The most likely DLC would be where you could travel to other regions. I'd be open to this, but it would have the criticism of repetition, as you'd just be doing the gym challenge all over again.

People loved the fact G/S let you do that and that is a wanted returned feature. Especially if the fans can be shown it was not cut content I think they'd be up for it. 

(Hey, we finished the main game and decided to put a team to work with this regional expansion for you in about five months. You can look through the code and see we didn't cut it from the game as DLC like what other publishers do!)

KrspaceT said: 

Got any examples of taken away content? I mean off the top of my head the main issues seem to be the SM National Dex and post game content (which I feel is arguable). 

You talking about things that were in one game but not in others, like Bug Catching Contests, Pokemon Contests, and Friend Safaris?

I loved every game from Gen I through to B2/W2, but the 3DS games have been bland as hell. The way Game Freak removes features every generation is unacceptable compared to most games that continue to build on previous entries. Just think of everything they've taken out over the years:

• Day/Night System (From Gen III)
  • Seasons
  • Dexnav
  • Poketch/Pokenav/Pokegear
  • National Dex
  • PSS
  • Dream World
  • Pokemon following behind you
  • Diving
  • Soaring
  • Rebattling trainers/gym leaders
  • Contests/Pokethlon/Musicals/Pokewood
  • Triple Battles/Rotation Battles
  • Underground
  • Secret Bases
  • Battle Frontier
  • Game Corner
  • Hordes
  • Altering music depending on the situation in battle
  • Super Training
  • O-Powers
  • Mirage Spots
  • Hall of Fame PC

There's more that I can't be bothered listing. GF are the kings of taking one step forwards then one MASSIVE LEAP backwards. 

Then now, with LGPE:

• 700 Pokemon, including those related to the ones being included in the game (not even FRLG left out non-Kanto pokes; it at least included them in the post-game)
  • Breeding
  • Abilities
  • Hold Items
  • Wonder Trade
    Trades with Strangers
    Battles with Strangers (all of these require friend codes)
  • Wild Battles
Now I know, LGPE aren't mainline, blah blah blah, but if their definition of mainline is S/M, then they're damn close to it. I've got little faith at all that Pokemon 2019 will have 'basic' Pokemon features, I can't see them making DLC at all honestly, after all, as far as their profits are concerned, $20 for DLC < $60 for the same game, but with slight changes (or no changes, in USUM's case), a year or two later.

IMO each legendary pokemon should be a DLC (maybe $4.99 each, kinda like how rocket league does for cars) You can evolve pokemon for $0.99 (but you can still do it free of course), buy special HM's/TM's for maybe $4.99/each and get the regular in-game TM's for $2.99/each

KrspaceT said:

With the excuse of making each game "unique" they keep every single innovation or addition tied to the game it comes out, at least since Black/White. The Battle Frontier, the Pokemon Contests, the Pokemon Restaurant from X/Y, not making new Megas for Sun/Moon, they will probably abandon the regional pokemon idea as well... There is enough content around to make an absolute monster of a Pokemon game, they just decide not to add it.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Don't be so silly. Game Freak will just save that DLC for the Ultimate version like they always do.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you.