By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would the competitive October 2018 affect the sales of Super Mario Party?

I cant imagine many people in a store debating whether to get Mario Party or Black Ops/Red Dead, they appeal to such different markets that they wont affect one another.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
twintail said:
KrspaceT said:

With games like Assassins Creed O, Black Ops 4, Battlefield V, Soulcaliber, and Red Dead competing for sales, does Mario Party have any risk of being Titantfall 2'd?

I'll admit I feel that Super Mario Party is insulated a bit by being on an entirely separate system for the games, but I'd appreciate other points of view on this. 

None of those games are on switch. 

It will be fine

That's what I was thinking lol  Seems like Super Mario Party will have no competition so it'll do fine.

melbye said:
I don't think it will sell millions, but it'll do OK

Of course it will sell millions!  Nintendo is making a comeback and I'm sure Super Mario Party will too, and I believe it's going back to its roots that all the fans missed.   Almost every Mario Party has sold avg. 2m copies or more so. (Unless you're being sarcastic then ignore me lol)  I'll definitely be buying this game day one.

Super Mario Party doesn't care about the competition. (Just like how it doesn't care about friendships). It will sell because this is the Mario Party everyone has been wanting since Mario Party 8. (Which was 11 years ago)

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems!

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

V-r0cK said:
twintail said:

None of those games are on switch. 

It will be fine

That's what I was thinking lol  Seems like Super Mario Party will have no competition so it'll do fine.

melbye said:
I don't think it will sell millions, but it'll do OK

Of course it will sell millions!  Nintendo is making a comeback and I'm sure Super Mario Party will too, and I believe it's going back to its roots that all the fans missed.   Almost every Mario Party has sold avg. 2m copies or more so. (Unless you're being sarcastic then ignore me lol)  I'll definitely be buying this game day one.

It did over 2 million on Wii U so hard to see it not doing at least that on Switch.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Out of all those games releasing in October you think Super Mario Party is the one at potential risk? If anything I would think it would be the least likely to be affected considering how different Super Mario Party is from those games, and the fact that it is exclusive. But anyways I think all of them will be fine. 

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 17 August 2018

Around the Network
FloatingWaffles said:

Out of all those games releasing in October you think Super Mario Party is the one at potential risk? If anything I would think it would be the least likely to be affected considering how different Super Mario Party is from those games, and the fact that it is exclusive. But anyways I think all of them will be fine. 

^Uh.....This.

Super mario party shares zero platforms with all those games, so no. Very minimal impact at most.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

No because mario party is a completely different genre to those other games and is a great local multiplayer game.

No, but it will affect Switch sales. The Switch will be heavily overshadowed in that month with all those releases. But Mario Party appeals to a completely different market, so I doubt sales of that game would be affected. People who bought MK8D, 1-2 Switch and Mario Odyssey would most likely chime in on the new Mario Party and not care for those games if they don't own any other platforms.

Nah, I mean, it seems to get good pre-order numbers already, it's back-to-form with the OG format from previous games that people have been waiting, mini-games seems to have been thought in a good way and it'll have some online components for competitive mini-game players lol.

Also, it's exclusivity will make it stand-out a bit more than some other releases so, I'm pretty confident in it's success (and legs) ^^

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909