By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Diablo III took 9 months to port to Nintendo Switch

HollyGamer said:
Miyamotoo said: 

Yeah but Diablo 3 with all DLCs has huge amount of content, we also dont know what was size of team behind port.

Actually when Diablo 3 for  PS3 and Xbox 360 came out it came with it's PS4 and Xbox One along with  DLC as well . And I am sure Diablo 3 on Switch have many people working it and additional DLC which is also not that big compared to the first DLC will not that significant. 

No, PS4/XB1 versions come out around 6 months after PS3/360 versions, but we dont how long were in development all how bit team was.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

My point is just that Switch isn't really as easy to port as someone just pressing a button with almost no resources needed

Im pretty sure nobody in the world has ever said thats how porting a game works. Also it took about a year to bring it to PS4, it was announced to have already started development in August 2013 and released in August 2014.

"In August 2013, Diablo III developers stated that they had started on the PlayStation 4 development of the game, titled Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition, and were looking at how to best utilize the new features of the PS4 controller, such as the TouchPad and the Share button. In May 2014, Blizzard announced that Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition would be released on August 19, bringing the game to the PlayStation 4.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diablo_III

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Miyamotoo said:
HollyGamer said:

Actually when Diablo 3 for  PS3 and Xbox 360 came out it came with it's PS4 and Xbox One along with  DLC as well . And I am sure Diablo 3 on Switch have many people working it and additional DLC which is also not that big compared to the first DLC will not that significant. 

No, PS4/XB1 versions come out around 6 months after PS3/360 versions, but we dont how long were in development all how bit team was.

6 month LOl how fast is that. 

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

If you need 30 person and almost a year to just do the port (mind you that a lot of the original team would be doing assets, gameplay, story, testing, etc) show that it isn't really that easy to make a port, and that it consumes a lot of resources.

Yeah, the 30 is maximized speculation. It were probably fewer and they probably weren't involved with that project all the time. But nevertheless, it is less than a tenth of the people initially worked on the game and in a much shorter time. Ports do take a lot less resources than new games. And really a lot as can be seen here. We talk about at least 10 ports, probably way more, for the resources of a new game.

And well, I do not think a port takes much less resources if porting happens to PS4 or XBox One. Not with a game of the size of Diablo. Testing alone takes a lot of time if the game is big. Diablo is no Snake Pass, which was basically running (without the fine tuning) in less than a week. But this seems right for the course, because Snake Pass is a much smaller game with much less combinations that have to be tested.

DonFerrari said:

And we have had several threads with people cursing devs and calling them dumb for not making a port of game X or Y, like MHW (which some swear didn't get ported because Sony payed to only Switch no receive based on a "very credible" insider)

Well, the insider had practically everything right about the changes of MonHun World. Which were in part unexpected changes. So it seems these leaks may have some credibility.

DonFerrari said:

Yes there are some fans like that in all fanbase.

I don't think Switch is a hard platform to port, but certainly the less power can add more complexity to port and avoid bad ports. And some games aren't worth the effort and severe cuts versus expected sales.

More power can also add more complexity to port. If you upscale assets to fit with a higher resolution you probably have even more work to make them look fine, because downscaling models and textures can be done pretty much automatically, but adding new details is not that easy automatic. As a comparison, the first HD port of Okami on PS3 did things with the textures, to make them more detailed. The later HD-ports used that upscaled assets. But the work put into that PS3-port was not something to scoff at.

30 people over 9 months is plenty, enough to even make some good games. I wouldn't call that small or easy when they are porting something finished. Comparing it to the full development isn't doing you a favor.

yeah a lot of credibility, Sony would expend a lot of money to leave a single platform that wasn't even released yet out even when the game itself couldn't run on Switch.

Yeah automatic ports, easy stuff, always throwed here in VGC by people that don't do them.

Games made with current engines for current consoles wouldn't really need much effort on up porting. Most we have seem have been like X1X and PS4Pro and those didn't took massive time.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

My point is just that Switch isn't really as easy to port as someone just pressing a button with almost no resources needed

Im pretty sure nobody in the world has ever said thats how porting a game works. Also it took about a year to bring it to PS4, it was announced to have already started development in August 2013 and released in August 2014.

"In August 2013, Diablo III developers stated that they had started on the PlayStation 4 development of the game, titled Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition, and were looking at how to best utilize the new features of the PS4 controller, such as the TouchPad and the Share button. In May 2014, Blizzard announced that Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition would be released on August 19, bringing the game to the PlayStation 4.

You could I don't know, just read the threads and how pissed some Nintendo fans got over not getting ports and pointing how easy and unexpensive it  is to make ports for switch. But if you don't get hyperbole my bad.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Mnementh said:

Yeah, the 30 is maximized speculation. It were probably fewer and they probably weren't involved with that project all the time. But nevertheless, it is less than a tenth of the people initially worked on the game and in a much shorter time. Ports do take a lot less resources than new games. And really a lot as can be seen here. We talk about at least 10 ports, probably way more, for the resources of a new game.

And well, I do not think a port takes much less resources if porting happens to PS4 or XBox One. Not with a game of the size of Diablo. Testing alone takes a lot of time if the game is big. Diablo is no Snake Pass, which was basically running (without the fine tuning) in less than a week. But this seems right for the course, because Snake Pass is a much smaller game with much less combinations that have to be tested.

Well, the insider had practically everything right about the changes of MonHun World. Which were in part unexpected changes. So it seems these leaks may have some credibility.

More power can also add more complexity to port. If you upscale assets to fit with a higher resolution you probably have even more work to make them look fine, because downscaling models and textures can be done pretty much automatically, but adding new details is not that easy automatic. As a comparison, the first HD port of Okami on PS3 did things with the textures, to make them more detailed. The later HD-ports used that upscaled assets. But the work put into that PS3-port was not something to scoff at.

30 people over 9 months is plenty, enough to even make some good games. I wouldn't call that small or easy when they are porting something finished. Comparing it to the full development isn't doing you a favor.

yeah a lot of credibility, Sony would expend a lot of money to leave a single platform that wasn't even released yet out even when the game itself couldn't run on Switch.

Yeah automatic ports, easy stuff, always throwed here in VGC by people that don't do them.

Games made with current engines for current consoles wouldn't really need much effort on up porting. Most we have seem have been like X1X and PS4Pro and those didn't took massive time.

zorg1000 said:

You could I don't know, just read the threads and how pissed some Nintendo fans got over not getting ports and pointing how easy and unexpensive it  is to make ports for switch. But if you don't get hyperbole my bad.

Or you could i dont know, make logical arguments.

I just showed they ported it to Switch quicker than they did to PS4 so your whole argument acting like 9 months isnt a timely manner gets thrown out the window.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

I just showed they ported it to Switch quicker than they did to PS4 so your whole argument acting like 9 months isnt a timely manner gets thrown out the window.

Sure, let's just pretend I didn't got a logical argument discussion just a short while ago here.

Where did I say it isn't timely manner? 30 people earning about 85k a year would make us have about 2M USD to port the game. That is a cost that shows it isn't easy or super cheap to port and that is all that matter. Let's say PS4 took aditional 3 months and 10 people to port or  3.2M to get ported. Do you think Diablo 3 with sell on Switch 66% of what sold on PS4?

PS4 is "easy" to port, Switch is also called "easy" to port, same for X1. Still none of them are pennies to do.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

Sure, let's just pretend I didn't got a logical argument discussion just a short while ago here.

Where did I say it isn't timely manner? 30 people earning about 85k a year would make us have about 2M USD to port the game. That is a cost that shows it isn't easy or super cheap to port and that is all that matter. Let's say PS4 took aditional 3 months and 10 people to port or  3.2M to get ported. Do you think Diablo 3 with sell on Switch 66% of what sold on PS4?

PS4 is "easy" to port, Switch is also called "easy" to port, same for X1. Still none of them are pennies to do.

You just admitted to using hyperbole so you are mocking people for saying that Switch is an easy system to work with & that some games skipping Switch is a missed opportunity.

Why does it need to sell 66% of the PS4 version?

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

You just admitted to using hyperbole so you are mocking people for saying that Switch is an easy system to work with & that some games skipping Switch is a missed opportunity.

Why does it need to sell 66% of the PS4 version?

Way to jump the gun. Why would hyperbole of "turning a buton to make the port" would be mockery?

The people claiming Switch as an easy to port system I'm talking about are the ones thinking it is something totally mundane, easy, very low cost...

If the port costs 2/3 to make why not expect 2/3 the sales to recover it?

routsounmanman said:
bananaking21 said:
Wow that's a lot of time. And this is for a game that was developed in 2012 with PS3/360 level of hardware in mind.

We have no idea of the development team size. If there were just ~10 people, it's quite low, actually. And it's going to sell like hot-cakes, fingers crossed.

It's been out for 5 years and has been on previous/current gen consoles + PC. Diablo 3 on Switch is NOT going to sell well. Anyone who's wanted to play D3 - has most definitely already have. 

HollyGamer said:
Miyamotoo said:

6 month LOl how fast is that. 

Wrong, wrong, wrong...

Diablo 3 came out on PS3/360 in September 2013. The PS4/X1 "Ultimate Evil Edition" didn't come out until August 2014. That's 11 months - damn near a year.