By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Diablo III took 9 months to port to Nintendo Switch

trent44 said:

https://kotaku.com/the-diablo-iii-switch-port-took-nine-months-1828400479

Just so people have an idea as to just how long it takes to port a big game to Nintendo Switch.

This also means a lot of late ports coming to Nintendo Switch this fall/next year probably weren't even started being worked on until sometime after December 2017...

It depends on a lot of things such as the game size and how many people are working on it. 

But im glad they saw the Switch capabilities since last year. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
Shiken said:
bananaking21 said:
Wow that's a lot of time. And this is for a game that was developed in 2012 with PS3/360 level of hardware in mind.

Well considering that the game has added content, higher native resolution, and a more stable fps than those consoles (as all last gen ports do on switch), 9 months is not really a lot of time.

Your Switch sales prediction was a bust, accept it.  No need to grasp at staws trying to downplay the system.  You are only hurting your own image.

Lmao. Man the maturity (or lack of) on this site never ceases to amaze me. Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking when I made this post. 

zorg1000 said:
Is that a pretty standard amount of time to port a game?

It can vary wildly, but team size is the most consistently significant variably. Unfortunately the article doesn't mention anything about that.

The PS4 port for TLOU for example was extremely difficult ("hell" to quote ND). They took one of the most optimised games on a system with a dumpster fire of an architecture, ported it to an x86 system, improved assets, pushed the overall per second pixel count by 350% - 400%, and still got it done in less than 5 months because they effectively had a full development team working on it.

Based on the article I'd say Blizzard consider 9 months to be a bit longer than they'd like, but not unreasonable. That's about all it really tells us.

NoirSon said:
Yeah given they are reworking the game for both the docked mode and portable and porting to new hardware usually takes time this isn't bad.

Now Dragon Quest XI assuming they are just porting the PS4/PC release and have been doing so since it was announced that is too long.

Blame Square  people that is slow on mastering unreal engine and new shader tech, and also they just  updated a new unreal engine for Dragon Quest. 

Blizzard tends to take it's time with most projects.
But 9 months is a pretty decent turn around time though.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
trent44 said:

https://kotaku.com/the-diablo-iii-switch-port-took-nine-months-1828400479

Just so people have an idea as to just how long it takes to port a big game to Nintendo Switch.

This also means a lot of late ports coming to Nintendo Switch this fall/next year probably weren't even started being worked on until sometime after December 2017...

This does not draw the conclusions you state. 

Reading the article, it states the complexity was with the "conversion on the graphics side" and that along with in unknown number of engineers in the primary team, it had "8 to 9" folks from Blizzard directly. What it doesn't tell you is how Switch work was prioritized with other work going on or in what capacity these folks all helped out. It also isn't clear how much of this work paved the way for an easier port of other Blizzard games. Did they or Nintendo create any new tooling that makes this work easier for example.

Fact is, every new generation we see games start of with more issues and taking longer and then as developers get comfortable with the tools as well as build new tooling, they all improve in quality and decrease in development time.

I would expect next games to be faster overall with lower investment needed.

It is also good to remember that it is the first time with this studio on working with the hardware. I remember Panic Button giving an statement about how they expect in the future that ports on Switch would take less time to develop,getting used to the hardware makes a difference on that aspect. But nine months is not a bad amount of time.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

bananaking21 said:
Shiken said:

Well considering that the game has added content, higher native resolution, and a more stable fps than those consoles (as all last gen ports do on switch), 9 months is not really a lot of time.

Your Switch sales prediction was a bust, accept it.  No need to grasp at staws trying to downplay the system.  You are only hurting your own image.

Lmao. Man the maturity (or lack of) on this site never ceases to amaze me. Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking when I made this post. 

You know what, that was bad form and in poor taste on my part.  I apologize, not sure what I was even getting at when I replied.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
bananaking21 said:

You know what, that was bad form and in poor taste on my part.  I apologize, not sure what I was even getting at when I replied.

No worries dude

Shiken said:
bananaking21 said:

Now this is good form. Thank you.