By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 32) Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - August 06-August12, 2018

RolStoppable said:
zorg1000 said:

How so?

3DS shipments

Japan-6.76
Americas-6.41
Other-5.82

NSW shipments

Japan-4.89
Americas-7.81
Other-6.97

To me it looks like the opposite.

It's neither.

Given the size of the markets, Americas and Others should always have more sales than Japan, about twice as many. Proportionally, Japan is the best territory, but the ratio to other regions isn't as worrying as for the 3DS. The 3DS's lifetime sales will have essentially one third in every region, but something in the ballpark of a 20/40/40 split for Japan/Americas/Others would be more appropriate. So far Switch is at approximately 25/40/35, so Japan is punching above its weight (but not crazy strong like asserted), America is where it should be (so Americans aren't understanding the system better than Japanese) and Others is on the weak side. The noteworthy difference is between Japan and Others, but there's no complicated explanation.

It's clear since a good decade that portable consoles are perceived as better value in Japan, so the Switch's price isn't much of a hindrance. That's not the case in Europe (the majority of Others) and the price of the hardware with its unusual €329 hasn't been as good as the $299 price tag in the USA (the majority of Americas). Additionally, Nintendo still has a lot of work to do in Eastern Europe as far as distribution and marketing presence are concerned, so Others proportionally lagging behind a little isn't surprising.

Having said the above, another important factor in perception are the sales relative to competition. Since the PS4 is performing in a mediocre manner in Japan, it makes the merely good sales of Switch look amazing.

This is exactly what I was going to reply with. Of course a market of 300 million should see greater shipments than a country with 127 million. But the fact that Switch is doing so well in Japan really means something. Also, it is a difficult task to compare Switch to 3DS because of the price drop that was almost required to get 3DS rolling. Regardless, I think 50k a week is very strong sales for Switch in Japan regardless of what any other console is doing.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Around the Network
GhaudePhaede010 said:
RolStoppable said:

It's neither.

Given the size of the markets, Americas and Others should always have more sales than Japan, about twice as many. Proportionally, Japan is the best territory, but the ratio to other regions isn't as worrying as for the 3DS. The 3DS's lifetime sales will have essentially one third in every region, but something in the ballpark of a 20/40/40 split for Japan/Americas/Others would be more appropriate. So far Switch is at approximately 25/40/35, so Japan is punching above its weight (but not crazy strong like asserted), America is where it should be (so Americans aren't understanding the system better than Japanese) and Others is on the weak side. The noteworthy difference is between Japan and Others, but there's no complicated explanation.

It's clear since a good decade that portable consoles are perceived as better value in Japan, so the Switch's price isn't much of a hindrance. That's not the case in Europe (the majority of Others) and the price of the hardware with its unusual €329 hasn't been as good as the $299 price tag in the USA (the majority of Americas). Additionally, Nintendo still has a lot of work to do in Eastern Europe as far as distribution and marketing presence are concerned, so Others proportionally lagging behind a little isn't surprising.

Having said the above, another important factor in perception are the sales relative to competition. Since the PS4 is performing in a mediocre manner in Japan, it makes the merely good sales of Switch look amazing.

This is exactly what I was going to reply with. Of course a market of 300 million should see greater shipments than a country with 127 million. But the fact that Switch is doing so well in Japan really means something. Also, it is a difficult task to compare Switch to 3DS because of the price drop that was almost required to get 3DS rolling. Regardless, I think 50k a week is very strong sales for Switch in Japan regardless of what any other console is doing.

Sure, i agree America should be higher than Japan, i just think your last post wasnt very accurate when Japan is lower than its predecessor while its up in America.

The price cut applies to America as well, its outperforming 3DS handily despite costing almost double.

I think all the regions understand and embrace Switch very well.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

Sure, i agree America should be higher than Japan, i just think your last post wasnt very accurate when Japan is lower than its predecessor while its up in America.

The price cut applies to America as well, its outperforming 3DS handily despite costing almost double.

despite costing  almost double...

Yeah, because switch is only a handheld console, like 3ds was...

Last edited by tak13 - on 15 August 2018

tak13 said:
zorg1000 said:

What point are you trying to make?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Yakuza 3 did alright for a remaster of a 9 year old game. Curious to see how 4 and 5 do though.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
tak13 said:

What point are you trying to make?

That 3ds price drop isn't an advantage or at least not so big over Nintendo switch because NS is a home and handheld console for      299$, you had to spend 500$  to buy both Wii u and 3ds.

Last edited by tak13 - on 15 August 2018

Wyrdness said:
Splatoon 2 could be in for a 4m LT in Japan alone by the looks of it.

4mil by years end ship+digital

Another great week for Switch and damn that top 20, nintendo holding it down

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

OTBWY said:
Kerotan said:
Ps4 having good sale. 7m party next week. Can't wait!

Great! The Switch will have a 7m party too early next year!

So ps4 will finish 2018 still ahead of switch? That would go against a lot of people's predictions. 

Kerotan said:
OTBWY said:

Great! The Switch will have a 7m party too early next year!

So ps4 will finish 2018 still ahead of switch? That would go against a lot of people's predictions. 

A lot or a few?