By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bethesda blocks resale of used game

Ka-pi96 said:
The Fury said:

I know right, can't wait for the day that a game that is rare and out of print is only available at £60 10 years after release on download only. The greatness of it, all power to the greedy.

It could actually be worse than that. If it has any sequels then the game may not be available for purchase at all. Sony have already done that with GT6 and that isn't even half way to 10 years yet. It's literally only possible to buy (used) physical copies of it now, so without them you'd be screwed.

Well GT6 no longer being available digitally is a combination of two things expired licenses and the servers for the game being shut down.  So even if manage to get a used copy you can't experience the full game anymore since the online portion of the game is no longer is available. 

Around the Network
Qwark said: 
pokoko said:

I'm not sure what you're saying.  A lot of products have a limited warranty that's only offered to the original buyer.

My post was a question regarding bofferbauer its statement. If the loss of warranty alters a product significantly to not be protected under the first sale doctrine. Doesn't that mean every product is significantly altered when warranty/guarantee expires and should no longer be protected by the first sale doctrine. If so that would be a very bad thing. 

First, this article doesn't really tell us much.  It's little bits and pieces of the whole thing scattered around.

What I'm wondering is if this is aimed specifically at people who are reselling second-hand games as "new".  If there is a limited warranty that no longer applies unless it's sold by an authorized reseller, then calling it "new" would be misleading and possibly illegal.  I'm pretty sure this applies to lots of things--I know car standards are pretty strict--but most of the time there isn't an issue with piracy or fraud as with movies or games. 

If that's the case then I don't see much of a problem.

I also wonder if Polygon checked the credibility of their source.  I would assume so but it doesn't mention that.  Regardless, this really should have been run by a lawyer before publication because it kind of sounds like a good deal of conjecture.

It's funny , actually Bethesda has been a great company so far, especially if you compare to a cancer like EA and Konami, hell even if you compare to Ubisoft Bethesda is still far better. But it seems the world is not perfect after all and we cannot have a nice thing :( .

I hope they stop this

So if he unwraps it and sells it as "mint condition, never played" it's ok?

pokoko said:
V-r0cK said:

Not sure why a company such as Bethesda is doing this but if this is true then that's really lame of them.  Customers have already purchased your product, you already got your money, so they can do whatever they want with it.  Don't be greedy.

Thoughts?

https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/11/17661254/bethesda-sell-used-games-amazon-block

(lock if already posted)

Well, no, there are things they can't do.  For example, they cannot advertise a used product as new when selling it to consumers.  That's what at least part of this seems to be about.  I'm wondering if it has to do with the advanced state of piracy now where people can make a used or illegally downloaded game or movie look brand new.  When I managed a video store, people would bring in DVDs in cases that looked completely genuine for movies that hadn't even been released yet.

The main point seems to be that a game not sold by an authorized reseller does not have a full warranty, thus rendering it substantially different than a 'new' copy.  If that's the case then I would agree that the "new" tag should be removed.

I found weird in the article because before that statement they said about the seller "He bought the game but never unwrapped it, he told us.".  So he was still selling a new copy of the game. 

Hmm..I never thought about the game having warranty, most of the time if something is wrong with the game I just bring it back to the store and they either give me a new copy or refund, where I never deal with the Publisher at all.  So what does this 'full warranty' of a game from the Publisher entitles us to?

ArchangelMadzz said:
Not worth fighting but surely trade law means you can sell whatever you buy?

I feel if this was a TV this would never happen.

Same.  And it could literally be for any product a consumer buys.  Imagine if companies like Ford, Honda, Toyota etc.. start doing the same for people trying to sell their used cars? loll I think Bethesda is out of hand on this.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
So if he unwraps it and sells it as "mint condition, never played" it's ok?

I doubt he even has to unwrap it.

V-r0cK said:

I found weird in the article because before that statement they said about the seller "He bought the game but never unwrapped it, he told us.".  So he was still selling a new copy of the game. 

Hmm..I never thought about the game having warranty, most of the time if something is wrong with the game I just bring it back to the store and they either give me a new copy or refund, where I never deal with the Publisher at all.  So what does this 'full warranty' of a game from the Publisher entitles us to?

ArchangelMadzz said:
Not worth fighting but surely trade law means you can sell whatever you buy?

I feel if this was a TV this would never happen.

Same.  And it could literally be for any product a consumer buys.  Imagine if companies like Ford, Honda, Toyota etc.. start doing the same for people trying to sell their used cars? loll I think Bethesda is out of hand on this.

Warranties change depending on the manufacturer.  Usually, if you get home and you find a defect, you can call the manufacturer.  They might tell you to go through the store or they might hand it directly, but either way, it's still the manufacturer who eats the cost.  However, if it's a limited warranty, it might say that the terms of the warranty only apply to the first buyer--if the first buyer sells the item, the warranty if voided.

In the case in the article, the issue seems to be that the guy selling the game is the "first buyer", thus anyone who buys from him will get a game with no warranty.  That means the game is no longer "new" because the consumer isn't getting the same thing that someone who buys a new game from Target or Gamestop would get.  That means, legally speaking, the guy in the article listing his game as "new" might be false advertising.  If that's all this is about, then that would actually make it a pro-consumer move from Bethesda.

The article is really muddled, though, and I can't tell what is fact and what is the writer's conjecture.

As far as cars, most of them have a full warranty that transfers to the second buyer.  However, the moment a car is signed over to the first buyer, it becomes "used," even if it has never been started and has zero miles on it.  It can no longer be sold as "new" and that's a pretty strict rule.

This makes me wonder on being able to resell art that you paid for, but didn't have any hand in creating. Same goes for music and any other industry product.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

The issue is quite easy to understand. Every resale done is no money for Bethesda.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

I hate the path Bethesda took after the successes they had since last gen. The decisions they've made with Fallout 4 really destroyed the company for me.

Cerebralbore101 said:
flashfire926 said:

What makes you think games will stay at $60 ten years after release? Do you mean to imply that digital games don't have sales and price drops?

The used games market is what forces companies to offer those price drops. They know they can't possibly offer those ancient games for full price when used copies are floating around for half that. So if you get rid of used game sales, then you can say goodbye to digital sales as well. 

uhm there are tons of indie games that don't have a retail version and guess what. They are frequently on sale like every other game.
You don't seem to get that there is only a limited number of people who will buy a game at $60. If everyone of those already has the game, the publisher will make $0 unless they reduce the price.

Also it's obvious that Steam has Batman for $20. Otherwise they could never ever put it on sale if the regular price was only $5.