By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony first Party games sales, A huge leap from PS3 era. ( Entered Ninty Level ) Update: GOW at 10m & Uncharted 4 16M

NoCtiS_NoX said:
MasonADC said:
I wouldn't say they are on Nintendo's level just yet, but if they keep this up with the remainder of the generation and into the next, I could easily see it

Well they have yet to surpassed Nintendo but they already entered that level already with last of us and Uncharted and with GOd of War soon being another contender for best selling 1st party exclusive. 

I was thinking more about the Switch specificity. It took years for the ps4 to get a 10 million selling first party game, and now that it is at 80 million, it is reaching them more easily. That is still really good, but is nothing compared to what Mario Odyssey, MK8D, and soon Botw to do. I still think GOW will match these titles in the end, but I don't think they are at the same level.

Around the Network
NoCtiS_NoX said: 
pokoko said:
Longer development time means less top level games in the same timeframe. That's an absolute boon to first party content. Less competition translates to higher average sales. This is why I'm convinced that Nintendo does not want "full" third-party support. Microsoft missed a golden opportunity by not being ready for this generation.

Sony's strategy to release throughout the year rather than focusing on the holidays, which largely take care of themselves with third-party offerings, is also beneficial. People can pretend that only the holiday season matters but releasing high-profile content when the competition level is low not only increases unit sales, it buoys the entire platform.

Well PS4 1st party games are doing just fine with almost 3rd party releasing a game for it.  

In all honesty, I'm much more impressed with a Last of Us or a Halo, which sell directly into the teeth of the competition.  Against full third-party support and with a rival platform in competition for the same market?  That's strength.  

Green098 said:
pokoko said: 

I hope not because that would be disingenuous.  If GTA 5 was exclusive to one platform, it's numbers on that one platform would be crazy.

Sony's not going to get any extra money if a game on PS4 does well on Xbox and PC though. So for this specific topic about a video game companies sales via their platform, it would be disingenuous to count sales Microsoft or Steam got for Sony.

I didn't count anything for Sony.  I didn't even mention Sony in that post.  I'm saying that if someone wants to talk about competing with GTA 5 then they're creating a false scenario by fragmenting the total sales.  It's an attempt to set up the playing field in their own favor.

If GTA 5 was an exclusive then no current first-party game could touch it.  It has no competition.  

Conina said:
Qwark said:
Spiderman is up next to join that list, which is great for Insomniac too

Insomniac is first party?

Insomniac isn’t, but Sony holds the rights to the Spiderman IP. So for all intents and purposes, Spider-Man is a first party game.

It’s basically the same situation as with Ratchet & Clank.

pokoko said:
Green098 said:

Sony's not going to get any extra money if a game on PS4 does well on Xbox and PC though. So for this specific topic about a video game companies sales via their platform, it would be disingenuous to count sales Microsoft or Steam got for Sony.

I didn't count anything for Sony.  I didn't even mention Sony in that post.  I'm saying that if someone wants to talk about competing with GTA 5 then they're creating a false scenario by fragmenting the total sales.  It's an attempt to set up the playing field in their own favor.

If GTA 5 was an exclusive then no current first-party game could touch it.  It has no competition.  

I guess it was just a bit of confusion then. The thread topic is on Sony's sales on PS4 so even when talking about multiplatform titles, I assume where they were coming from was the idea discussion would be on what ever amount a title sold on PS4 and outside sales would therefore be irrelevant without specially pointing out that was the case.

Nintendo like as you say but also like Microsoft last gen when they had halo which could do huge numbers at launch and lifetime. Now it's just Sony and Nintendo doing it.

Around the Network
MasonADC said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

Well they have yet to surpassed Nintendo but they already entered that level already with last of us and Uncharted and with GOd of War soon being another contender for best selling 1st party exclusive. 

I was thinking more about the Switch specificity. It took years for the ps4 to get a 10 million selling first party game, and now that it is at 80 million, it is reaching them more easily. That is still really good, but is nothing compared to what Mario Odyssey, MK8D, and soon Botw to do. I still think GOW will match these titles in the end, but I don't think they are at the same level.

You are talking about impact and I am talking about sales.  BOTW came from a well known brand for decades.  Zelda is consistently selling for decades now.. Mario is a well known brand cultivated for decades. Majority of gamers grew up playing Mario and in case you didn't notice almost Ninty's best selling game has Mario plastered in it. Mario Kart and Smash. 
Answer me truthfully do you think Mario Kart would sell this well without the Mario characters in it? Smash without Mario and Pokemon?
You buy Nintendo platform for Mario, Pokemon and Zelda and now with Splatoon because these are quality games. Other games like 3rd party games and other games from Nintendo is just the icing on the cake. 

Yes when PS4 came out. A lot of people didn't buy it for Sony 1st party line up but with recent trends happening now.  PS4 is still selling well, you know why? 1st party exclusives. Yes they have helped from 3rd parties (fortnite and MHW) but late this gen. Sony's first party is helping maintaining the sales.  With GOW Q1 for Sony is 3 million shipped.

1st party will be a huge barometer for next gen when 3rd party exclusive will become more rare. I can see a lot of people buying PS5 for GOW sequel, HZD 2, Last of us and Uncharted and most likely for Sony's first party lineup. Especially if you have big 1st party games as a launch titles. HZD 2 and Death stranding could be cross platform with PS4 and PS5.

Next gen will be a battle of 1st party exclusives for both MS and Sony. MS know this and learned from this gen. MS ramping up their 1st party devs buying 5 studios and ramping up their studios.  You won't see MS shoving up a lot of money for exclusive deals from 3rd party games. Those resources will mostly be for their 1st party devs.  
And with GG ramping and Bend ramping up. 1st party games will be barometer who will win next gen especially in the west. 

pokoko said:
NoCtiS_NoX said: 

Well PS4 1st party games are doing just fine with almost 3rd party releasing a game for it.  

In all honesty, I'm much more impressed with a Last of Us or a Halo, which sell directly into the teeth of the competition.  Against full third-party support and with a rival platform in competition for the same market?  That's strength.  

Agreed. Last of us brand recognition is strong. It continued it's momentum with PS4 sales. 
I also agreed wit Halo and MS is stupid for not focusing on it this gen. 

Kyuu said:

Not quite Nintendo level but still very impressive considering the brand-agnosticism of the average Playstation gamer. Sony's games compete with huge third party titles over the buyers' wallet.

isn't that more impressive? Sony is competing with 3rd parties biggest game and they are still selling well?

pokoko said:
zorg1000 said:

Isnt he specifically talking about 3rd party sales on PS4 rather than sales on all platforms?

I hope not because that would be disingenuous.  If GTA 5 was exclusive to one platform, it's numbers on that one platform would be crazy.

I am talking about which games do the best job of selling a PS4.  Do more PS4's get sold because of The Last of US or GTA5?  Nothing disingenuous about talking about one platform, since we are comparing it to first party line-up.

Not Nintendo levels but it's still great sales.

Its great these games are getting attention from PlayStation fans but Sony's marketing this generation has been on the money, last gen Sony sent out a bunch of great games to die cause they didnt focus their marketing on all their games besides their popular first party studios.

Sony's first party is definitely on another level when it comes to accolades and critical acclaim Uncharted 2 was the first exclusive from outside third party devs to win, Overall Goty and then TLOU won 250 gotys vs GTA V which won about 157, Uncharted 4 brought home 165 gotys vs Overwatch's 103, Naughty Dog has won overall goty with 3 out 4 of their recent game releases. First to do it outside of third party and they are tied with Bethesda for the number of Overall Goty wins 3 for both, Bethesda having Skyrim, Fallout 3, and Oblivion. God Of War has potential to be Goty but its going up against RDR 2 which the original received 160 gotys in 2010 beating out Mass Effect 2 but it would be something if GOW wins since, Bayonetta and DMC have never won Overall goty and make SSM the third developer joining ND, and EAD Tokyo to win Overall goty would definitely be a big moral win giving Sony their 4th overall Goty on their 4th console.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
pokoko said:

I am talking about which games do the best job of selling a PS4.  Do more PS4's get sold because of The Last of US or GTA5?  Nothing disingenuous about talking about one platform, since we are comparing it to first party line-up.

Do more Nintendo consoles get sold because of their games or because of their gimmicks?  We've seen this before.  Vanilla Nintendo consoles without third-party support don't make it on the strength of their games alone, either.  If Sony lost third-party support then they'd have to change their strategy, same as Nintendo did.  Likewise, a Nintendo with full third-party support would gradually see sales for some first-party games begin to ebb, especially if they kept to their strategy of no price drops.  You can't compare peaches to cats 1:1 and expect to pull anything meaningful from it.