By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does anyone still think smash ultimate is a port?

Mnementh said:

What?

The design team had for the N64-stages the goal to keep them as original as possible. They didn't reuse the N64-assets. You just can't take the SD-textures for a HD-game. Or the models. Why do you think everyone had problems with the HD-transition? And obviously for these stages the textures and models are more detailed. They only try to keep the nostalgic feeling for these stages.

It would be nice if they made a makeover of this stages  just to having the option to choose over the original style.

We reap what we sow

Around the Network
Shaqazooloo0 said:

It's really weird. People also called Smash 4 a port. Leading into it's release people were calling it Brawl 2.0. I don't understand, do people want them to scrap literally everything and have no returning characters and stages?

Chrizum said:
It sits somewhere between a port, a remaster, and an expansion. Definitely not a new game like past Smash titles were.

???

Explain please

I mean, I don't think it's a bad thing per sé. But as far as I know, Ultimate does not have any new, original content. It's like Every Smash game packed together and remastered. Earlier entries all had new stages, characters and mechanics.

160rmf said:
Mnementh said:

What?

The design team had for the N64-stages the goal to keep them as original as possible. They didn't reuse the N64-assets. You just can't take the SD-textures for a HD-game. Or the models. Why do you think everyone had problems with the HD-transition? And obviously for these stages the textures and models are more detailed. They only try to keep the nostalgic feeling for these stages.

It would be nice if they made a makeover of this stages  just to having the option to choose over the original style.

Yea, be cool if they had "echo stages"

You know, do each old stage in its retro look and a new updated look. And you can select which one to play on.

You know how like in Super Mario Maker and other 2d games where you can switch between 8 bit, 16, newer style, ect.

Chrizum said:
Shaqazooloo0 said:

It's really weird. People also called Smash 4 a port. Leading into it's release people were calling it Brawl 2.0. I don't understand, do people want them to scrap literally everything and have no returning characters and stages?

???

Explain please

I mean, I don't think it's a bad thing per sé. But as far as I know, Ultimate does not have any new, original content. It's like Every Smash game packed together and remastered. Earlier entries all had new stages, characters and mechanics.

Where was Stage Morph, Squad Strike (I guess if you want to count the last part of Smash Tour), Smashdown, and the overhauled Training mode in previous games? What about New Donk City Hall, Dracula's Castle, Morray Towers, Great Plateau Tower, the new items, the new assist trophies, and the new Pokemon that we've seen during the latest direct? Where was all that Castlevania music, not to mention the new music on the website and few of the character trailers? Where was King K. Rool, Simon, Richter, Inkling, or Ridley (in his current Smash form)?

Edit: Couldn't spell Richter haha

Last edited by Kai_Mao - on 10 August 2018

Kai_Mao said:
Chrizum said:

Where was Stage Morph, Squad Strike (I guess if you want to count the last part of Smash Tour), Smashdown, and the overhauled Training mode in previous games? What about New Donk City Hall, Dracula's Castle, Morray Towers, Great Plateau Tower, the new items, the new assist trophies, and the new Pokemon that we've seen during the latest direct? Where was all that Castlevania music, not to mention the new music on the website and few of the character trailers? Where was King K. Rool, Simon, Ricther, Inkling, or Ridley (in his current Smash form)?

They were all in the last game, we just never figured out how to unlock them.

SSBU is a Port. /endthread

Around the Network

I don’t think it’s a straight port, but it’s not entirely a new game either

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

As I commented before, what does it say about Majora's Mask, Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2, etc.? These are games that likely used the same engine as their predecessors. Or what about the CoD games or Assassin's Creed games?

Tmfwang said:
I don’t think it’s a straight port, but it’s not entirely a new game either

Nothing is entirely new.

Nothing is created, only changed.

We reap what we sow

mZuzek said:
Kai_Mao said:
As I commented before, what does it say about Majora's Mask, Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2, etc.? These are games that likely used the same engine as their predecessors. Or what about the CoD games or Assassin's Creed games?

You don't get it, those games weren't ports because they had new stories.

Oh wait, Smash Ultimate has a story mode you say? Crap, give me a while I need to go move the goalpost.

Here you go:

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Do people still seriously think it's a port? Either they have no idea what they are talking about, or they are just trolling. The latter being more likelier.

Just ignore these people and move on.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.