By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - We Happy Few reviews rolling in

Not great news for a game with at least 4 years of dev time. Hopefully with MSFT support from the early stages their next game can shine.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

66 meta.....

What the heck is wrong with MS studios?

Ryse = 60
Recore = 63
Super Lucy Tale = 64
Sea of Theives = 69
State of decay = 67

Now "we happy few" gets a 66? jebus.

And "sea of theives" got a free pass or something, its rated higher than it should be.

Umm are you actually blaming MS for this game thats a multiplatform title and considering its been in the oven for 4 years and MS only just recently brought them this year?

Oh wait, its you JRPGfan.

What didnt you personally like about Sea of Thieves?

Last edited by Azzanation - on 10 August 2018

This seems to be a game with a lot of potential that's been tossed around and retweaked to the point where it maybe did more harm rather than help. I actually played a lengthy demo at E3 and enjoyed it for the most part - the atmosphere and themes, the unique, twisted narrative, and the tense survival horror moments. But there were also some janky aspects, complexities, ambiguities, and frustrations that tainted the experience. High 60's is about what I'd expect based off that hour + of playtime, or maybe low 70's. Interesting concept at its core but highly flawed.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

areason said:

Sea of thieves is a worse business model then COD and Fifa. It's basically a demo with no real content or gameplay. 

lol what a load of rubbish. It sure was lacking content at launch but saying it's a demo or has no content/gameplay is simply nonsense. In fact it has some of the most unique gameplay and that's why there's a strong community spending hours and hours playing it. 

On topic, I'm disappointed We Happy Few turned out to be survival horror as I don't like that genre. And reading those reviews it seems stealth and survival mechanics aren't good so I'm going to skip this one or wait for good sale. 

That said, even though Contrast scored low and was lacking in gameplay, the art style was great and there was some cool ideas. We Happy Few also has an interesting atmosphere and I love how the game looks. Story seems to be good too. So I'd say there's talent at Compulsion Games without a doubt but they need to step up their game now.

KiigelHeart said:
areason said:

Sea of thieves is a worse business model then COD and Fifa. It's basically a demo with no real content or gameplay. 

lol what a load of rubbish. It sure was lacking content at launch but saying it's a demo or has no content/gameplay is simply nonsense. In fact it has some of the most unique gameplay and that's why there's a strong community spending hours and hours playing it. 

On topic, I'm disappointed We Happy Few turned out to be survival horror as I don't like that genre. And reading those reviews it seems stealth and survival mechanics aren't good so I'm going to skip this one or wait for good sale. 

That said, even though Contrast scored low and was lacking in gameplay, the art style was great and there was some cool ideas. We Happy Few also has an interesting atmosphere and I love how the game looks. Story seems to be good too. So I'd say there's talent at Compulsion Games without a doubt but they need to step up their game now.

Mate it is a demo. The game has no story, it has the same enemy just with little variation, it has 3 weapons i repeat 3 weapons, and it's quest wouldn't even be labelled as side quests in Skyrim .

Whatever events it has doesn't change the fact that all you are doing is fighting reskilled skeletons, with the same weapons that you used since the start of the game. 

And active community my ass, it can't break 500 viewers on twitch a couple of months after release. 

Around the Network
areason said:

Mate it is a demo. The game has no story, it has the same enemy just with little variation, it has 3 weapons i repeat 3 weapons, and it's quest wouldn't even be labelled as side quests in Skyrim .

Whatever events it has doesn't change the fact that all you are doing is fighting reskilled skeletons, with the same weapons that you used since the start of the game. 

And active community my ass, it can't break 500 viewers on twitch a couple of months after release. 

Oh dear.. a game is a demo if it has no story? It was never supposed to have a story or campaign in its traditional sense, this just tells me you have no idea what the game is about. And there's 4 weapons no matter how many times you repeat it. Plus gunpowder barrels you can use in various ways and cannons on your ship. There's a good reason why it's the same weapons for everyone and no upgrades. Everyone is on a level playing field no matter how much they've played and I love that. It's one of the reasons why Gears of War multiplayer is so good too.

All you are doing is fighting reskinned skeletons? You simply disregard other players even though it's a social game? 

Quests could use more variation I give you that and I'm sure Rare will keep coming out with new stuff. But these quests are about what happens when you're doing them and that's where other players step in. There's some amazing encounters and adventures to be had and usually there's a story to tell after a gaming session.

Maybe check some other stats for the game besides who many are watching it lol... and find a friend to play with and try the game yourself. Demo my ass..

KiigelHeart said:
areason said:

Oh dear.. a game is a demo if it has no story? It was never supposed to have a story or campaign in its traditional sense, this just tells me you have no idea what the game is about. And there's 4 weapons no matter how many times you repeat it. Plus gunpowder barrels you can use in various ways and cannons on your ship. There's a good reason why it's the same weapons for everyone and no upgrades. Everyone is on a level playing field no matter how much they've played and I love that. It's one of the reasons why Gears of War multiplayer is so good too.

All you are doing is fighting reskinned skeletons? You simply disregard other players even though it's a social game? 

Quests could use more variation I give you that and I'm sure Rare will keep coming out with new stuff. But these quests are about what happens when you're doing them and that's where other players step in. There's some amazing encounters and adventures to be had and usually there's a story to tell after a gaming session.

Maybe check some other stats for the game besides who many are watching it lol... and find a friend to play with and try the game yourself. Demo my ass..

Maybe story wasn't the right term, but it has no content no modes. Again i repeat it's quests wouldn't even be considered as side quests in traditional games. Great job 4 weapons! Have fun using the same pistol over and over again. Mate it only has 4 weapons and no upgrades because the game lacks content, and not as a design choice. If they wanted people to be on the same playing field they could have specific servers, or specific modes. 

The quests do not have PvP elements.

Mate it is a demo it has no content, their's 0 progression in the game, all you keep on talking about is encounters with other players in the sandbox which helps my point. Their isn't PvP content, like raids, modes, it's a demo of the games mechanics. 

JRPGfan said:

66 meta.....

What the heck is wrong with MS studios?

Ryse = 60
Recore = 63
Super Lucy Tale = 64
Sea of Theives = 69
State of decay = 67

Now "we happy few" gets a 66? jebus.

And "sea of theives" got a free pass or something, its rated higher than it should be.

This wasn't a game by a Microsoft Studio as the game was developed before MS bought the studio. Neither was Ryse, Recore, Super Lucky's Tale or State of Decay actually...

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

areason said:

Maybe story wasn't the right term, but it has no content no modes. Again i repeat it's quests wouldn't even be considered as side quests in traditional games. Great job 4 weapons! Have fun using the same pistol over and over again. Mate it only has 4 weapons and no upgrades because the game lacks content, and not as a design choice. If they wanted people to be on the same playing field they could have specific servers, or specific modes. 

The quests do not have PvP elements.

Mate it is a demo it has no content, their's 0 progression in the game, all you keep on talking about is encounters with other players in the sandbox which helps my point. Their isn't PvP content, like raids, modes, it's a demo of the games mechanics. 

You keep repeating no content which is simply false and it's not even up to debate. Your quest point is silly because it's not a traditional game, not to mention quite many traditional games (FFXV, Fallout) are full of fetch quests. If you were at least remotely familiar with the game, what it's about and what the developers and community want it to be you wouldn't even mention specific modes or servers. No upgrades or unlockable weapons is a design choice and a very good one indeed. PvP is purely skill based and it takes practice and teamwork to master those beautifully balanced ship battles. 

The quests, or anything else in the game, has PvP elements or not, it's up to players to decide. There also has been raids since the beginning and those turn out to be PvP, PvE or both depending on people playing. There's progression too, of course it's not something like play for 100 hours and then beat every new player with overpowered weapons and abilities, but it's there.

You don't really have a point mate. It's obvious you aren't familiar with the game. The fact you think this business model of adding content to a game for free is worse than annual releases with loot boxes and pay2win microtransactions says it all really :D

Anyway this is off-topic. I will still add that if you want to try this game you should do it now with Cursed Sails event being active. There's Skeleton Ship raids available 24/7 and some pretty intense action going on at the seas ;)

areason said:

So Sea of thieves is a demo because it has no story? So what are games like League of Legends, DOTA2, OverWatch, PUBG and Fortnite just to name afew, Are they just demos? SoTs fits into those category of games, its not suppose to be like The Witcher 3 or Zelda BOTW. Its an openworld arena styled MP game, much like the games I mentioned above.

The game has added heaps since launch, now you have actual Skeleton AI ships, a Giant Megalodon swimming the oceans and a new 2/3man Ship etc. Lets not forget all the extra customizations and variety in Skins for the Weapons, Ships, Clothing and Equipment.

And... there are 4 weapons not 3 and only 2 can be equipped.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 11 August 2018