Forums - Gaming Discussion - We Happy Few reviews rolling in

I'm watching people play it on twitch and it looks fun. I love the atmosphere.

Around the Network

Mid sixties for review scores? Good.

Every year has its game from an entirely unknown developer that gets hyped for months only to be another letdown.

And its annoying.

The sentence below is false. 
The sentence above is true. 

JRPGfan said:

66 meta.....

What the heck is wrong with MS studios?

Ryse = 60
Recore = 63
Super Lucy Tale = 64
Sea of Theives = 69
State of decay = 67

Now "we happy few" gets a 66? jebus.

And "sea of theives" got a free pass or something, its rated higher than it should be.

Sea of thieves is a worse business model then COD and Fifa. It's basically a demo with no real content or gameplay. 

As for the games by MS studios, it's understandable given their focus on gears/halo/forza. Many of the games have good concepts, but have been steered into the wrong direction.

shikamaru317 said:
Out of all the studios that MS announced they had acquired at E3 I found Compulsion to be the strangest choice. Fact is their first game, Contrast, only got a 62 meta, and now we have We Happy Few sitting at a 66 meta. That is not a very good track record. I feel like MS is going to need to layoff some people and then make some smart hiring choices if they want to remold them into a good 1st party studio that can at least hit 80+ on meta.

Looking at what people are praising most about this game, I am betting Microsoft bought them cause of their story telling skills. 

Not great news for a game with at least 4 years of dev time. Hopefully with MSFT support from the early stages their next game can shine.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
HandofPrometheus said:
I'm watching people play it on twitch and it looks fun. I love the atmosphere.

I mean...most of the reviews seem to enjoy the story and think it's fun but aren't happy with the polish of the game. Seems like stealth hinders it a little too. 

JRPGfan said:

66 meta.....

What the heck is wrong with MS studios?

Ryse = 60
Recore = 63
Super Lucy Tale = 64
Sea of Theives = 69
State of decay = 67

Now "we happy few" gets a 66? jebus.

And "sea of theives" got a free pass or something, its rated higher than it should be.

Umm are you actually blaming MS for this game thats a multiplatform title and considering its been in the oven for 4 years and MS only just recently brought them this year?

Oh wait, its you JRPGfan.

What didnt you personally like about Sea of Thieves?

Last edited by Azzanation - on 10 August 2018

This seems to be a game with a lot of potential that's been tossed around and retweaked to the point where it maybe did more harm rather than help. I actually played a lengthy demo at E3 and enjoyed it for the most part - the atmosphere and themes, the unique, twisted narrative, and the tense survival horror moments. But there were also some janky aspects, complexities, ambiguities, and frustrations that tainted the experience. High 60's is about what I'd expect based off that hour + of playtime, or maybe low 70's. Interesting concept at its core but highly flawed.

"We hold these truths t-be self-ful evident. All men and women created by the.. Go-you know the.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

areason said:

Sea of thieves is a worse business model then COD and Fifa. It's basically a demo with no real content or gameplay. 

lol what a load of rubbish. It sure was lacking content at launch but saying it's a demo or has no content/gameplay is simply nonsense. In fact it has some of the most unique gameplay and that's why there's a strong community spending hours and hours playing it. 

On topic, I'm disappointed We Happy Few turned out to be survival horror as I don't like that genre. And reading those reviews it seems stealth and survival mechanics aren't good so I'm going to skip this one or wait for good sale. 

That said, even though Contrast scored low and was lacking in gameplay, the art style was great and there was some cool ideas. We Happy Few also has an interesting atmosphere and I love how the game looks. Story seems to be good too. So I'd say there's talent at Compulsion Games without a doubt but they need to step up their game now.

KiigelHeart said:
areason said:

lol what a load of rubbish. It sure was lacking content at launch but saying it's a demo or has no content/gameplay is simply nonsense. In fact it has some of the most unique gameplay and that's why there's a strong community spending hours and hours playing it. 

On topic, I'm disappointed We Happy Few turned out to be survival horror as I don't like that genre. And reading those reviews it seems stealth and survival mechanics aren't good so I'm going to skip this one or wait for good sale. 

That said, even though Contrast scored low and was lacking in gameplay, the art style was great and there was some cool ideas. We Happy Few also has an interesting atmosphere and I love how the game looks. Story seems to be good too. So I'd say there's talent at Compulsion Games without a doubt but they need to step up their game now.

Mate it is a demo. The game has no story, it has the same enemy just with little variation, it has 3 weapons i repeat 3 weapons, and it's quest wouldn't even be labelled as side quests in Skyrim .

Whatever events it has doesn't change the fact that all you are doing is fighting reskilled skeletons, with the same weapons that you used since the start of the game. 

And active community my ass, it can't break 500 viewers on twitch a couple of months after release.