By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Facebook, Apple, YouTube, and Spotify Remove Alex Jones from their Platforms

Frogs are...

gay 22 62.86%

straight 13 37.14%

Total:35
TallSilhouette said:
Vinther1991 said:

I hate, hate, hate Alex Jones and his conspiracy crap and lies. That being said, this was a huge mistake by these companies. He should have the right to express his stupid opinions on their platforms. I fear they have only made him more dangerous now. 

Notice the little word 'should', I know they have the legal right to ban whoever they want. I just question what kind of platform do they want to have? Is it supposed to be for everybody, or people with 'decent' political views? Before this case these platforms seemed to be for everybody as long as the material posted wasn't against the law. I think media with the monopoly that Youtube and Facebook have should be for everybody, they are the public space of the 21st century, hence I think there should be the same rules as in the physical public space.

Around the Network
Rogerioandrade said:

Those are private companies, they can refuse users and content, don´t they? I think everyone understands that but...

... are the premises for such act legitimate? Or are they being banned for highly subjective matters (which seems the case here)?

There´s no shortage of communities spreading 'fake news" and "hate speech". Even big, traditional media conglomerates do that. So.. why was the action simultaneously taken towards a single, small group when there are bigger and even more influential groups doing the same for even longer ?.....

I feel that this action will just make InforWars and its members more famous and will make people´s interest on their content increases, by a lot ..... 

No we can't criticize FB because they are private and the guy is bad (CNN and Globo are good guys =p)

Most people defending the issue doesn't understand that the criticism is against the action of these companies not a demand that government intervene.

Oh my goodness ... CNN and Globo are the worse of the worst !!! 

Rogerioandrade said:

No we can't criticize FB because they are private and the guy is bad (CNN and Globo are good guys =p)

Most people defending the issue doesn't understand that the criticism is against the action of these companies not a demand that government intervene.

Oh my goodness ... CNN and Globo are the worse of the worst !!! 

Globo is the funnies because it gets a beating from both side saying they are the opposite side =p

SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

Yes I do know the difference between public owned company and private owned company or publically traded company etc, as much as I understand the difference between public space and private space which doesn't necessarily means they belong to the government or private company.

You're almost there.  Yes, we have private companies and public companies (those traded on stock markets) but when we say public, it means government owned.

And yes, a public space means owned by a government entity, and a private space means owned by a private individual/company.

Why are you having such a difficult time understanding this?  Is this different in Brazil?

Nope it's the same. A space that is open for everyone, that have public use, may or may not charge the use, etc, is a public use place even if privately owned.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

Nope it's the same. A space that is open for everyone, that have public use, may or may not charge the use, etc, is a public use place even if privately owned.

That's not the same.  I just told you that privately owned, even if accessible to all, is still private. If a person allowed their neighborhood to use their yard like a park, it's still privately owned and not a public space.

I'm going to keep asking this.  Why are you having such a difficult time understanding this?

I never said it isn't a privately owned, but the concept of it mixing with public use.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

I never said it isn't a privately owned, but the concept of it mixing with public use.

You literally just said it was privately owned.

"is a public use place even if privately owned."

Please explain to me how I saying "it's privately owned" means "not privately owned"

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

DonFerrari said:

SpokenTruth said:

DonFerrari said:

Please explain to me how I saying "it's privately owned" means "not privately owned"

Say what?

All your quotes show I saying "it is privately owned". And you said it isn't privately owned. Are you on something?

SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

HERE

SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

All your quotes show I saying "it is privately owned". And you said it isn't privately owned. Are you on something?

Please, direct me to saying that.

All the quotes you have are me saying it is a privately owned... and then you go "You literally just said it was privately owned" after I said "I didn't said it isn't privately owned".

You are trying to put as I did some contradiction but you must be reading something very wrong.

SpokenTruth said:
DonFerrari said:

You should give up. There are some people you just can't teach and I bet this is not helping your blood pressure much. 

It hurts to give up sometimes, but I've learned that when it comes to arguing on the internet...well, it doesn't matter how right you are, you'll always end up facing one of the brick walls: Nazis, Opinions, or Free Speech. 

There's nothing to be gained here. You and I and a few others have explained in exhaustive detail the difference between publicly and privately owned platforms/forums, we've explained in great detail how this is not an issue of free speech or censorship, and we've made it clear that social media platforms are not obligated to uphold the words of someone they disagree with, but he's just not listening. 

You've gone as far as you can go. There's no winning this argument because he's too ignorant to accept defeat. You're swordfighting against the black knight here. Just walk on by, complete your quest, for you'll find no satisfaction here. 

Alara317 said:
SpokenTruth said:

You should give up. There are some people you just can't teach and I bet this is not helping your blood pressure much. 

It hurts to give up sometimes, but I've learned that when it comes to arguing on the internet...well, it doesn't matter how right you are, you'll always end up facing one of the brick walls: Nazis, Opinions, or Free Speech. 

There's nothing to be gained here. You and I and a few others have explained in exhaustive detail the difference between publicly and privately owned platforms/forums, we've explained in great detail how this is not an issue of free speech or censorship, and we've made it clear that social media platforms are not obligated to uphold the words of someone they disagree with, but he's just not listening. 

You've gone as far as you can go. There's no winning this argument because he's too ignorant to accept defeat. You're swordfighting against the black knight here. Just walk on by, complete your quest, for you'll find no satisfaction here. 

So much wisdow, apply to yourself and at least read what you are replying to... but I guess since you side with the argument you won't bother to do it.

DonFerrari said:
Alara317 said:

So much wisdow, apply to yourself and at least read what you are replying to... but I guess since you side with the argument you won't bother to do it.

What? Be more clear, please. You are not conveying your thoughts adequately. 

Furthermore, please open yourself up to actually learn something instead of actively resisting being taught things. Aggressive, willful ignorance does not inspire respect.