By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Ultimate Direct August 8th 2018 announced at Evo

How many CDs would be needed if they wanted to release the music separately like with Xenoblade 2 and BOTW special editions?

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:

I would die if this was real....

Alara317 said:
Wyrdness said:

I would die if this was real....

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/08/a_super_smash_bros_ultimate_limited_edition_is_on_the_way_with_gamecube_controller_included

Marth said:

So I just spent way too much time thinking about this but hear me out:

Ridley killed MegaMan and Mario
Luigi died in Simons reveal
Dedede probably got killed by K Rool

So we have 4 dead bodies and that will probably increase because more fighters are coming.
In Echo announcements nobody died so far so I think they don't count.

What if there get either 7 characters killed or 7 new fighers announced.
And then the 7 Dragon Balls appear.
Shenron gets summoned and Goku wishes all of them back.
And Smash releases on December 7th.

I probably am just crazy though...

I mean maybe you're right. Isn't the scene where King K fights the Kongs a reference to dragon ball ?

I generally don't watch most press stuff nowadays. Someone give me a summary.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:

2 new fighters announced

3 new echo fighters announced

900 songs

103 levels

options galore (turn off stage hazards, stage swapping mid battle, stage select before fighter select, smash meter, ect)

I got tired. Really best thing to do is watch it. There is just soo much damn stuff that they mentioned, it makes the E3 presentation looked like a brief summary of smash.

KLAMarine said:

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
08-08-2018 Direct Recap

They're not lying when they said this is the ultimate version of Smash Bros. This Nintendo direct – which was 27 minutes of nothing but Smash Bros. – proved that by not only elaborating on what we already knew but giving us a bunch of new information on the game that will have fans salivating until the game's release date on Dec 7th of this year.

Before I get into the meat of this direct, allow me to go over some of the key announcements we knew about going into this – most of which came at E3 of this year.

First and foremost, every fighter from previous games is coming back for Smash Bros. Ultimate. That means Snake, Cloud, Ice Climbers, Pichu, Wolf, and everyone in between is in this game. In the case of Venusaur and Squirtle, they are coming back as the threesome that is Pokemon Trainer alongside Charizard. Furthermore, we already knew that Inkling from Splatoon, Ridley from Metroid, and Daisy were joining the fray with Daisy being an echo fighter of Peach.

Echo fighters are variants on existing fighters with the same move set but with different properties and stats. IE: Lucina is Marth's echo fighter, and her sword works slightly different to Marth.

We also could tell that most – if not all – of the previous levels from prior games were also coming back. Though it was never announced or declared in the E3 presentation, lists of shown levels have been compiled and we've seen over 80 so far leading up to this. As for new levels, we had seen only a few for Smash Bros. Ultimate, including Great Plateau Tower from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and Moray Towers from Splatoon.

As for gameplay changes, many characters have been tweaked, moves have been adjusted, and gameplay features like directional wave dashing have been reinstated in the game, making this a fundamentally altered and improved experience, not just a port or greatest hits compilation.

Honestly, if that was all we got – the verification of all those old stages and characters returning, the few new additions, and the refinement to the gameplay – I'd still have been happy and eager for this game, but wow was there so much more.

For starters, I was absolutely shocked at how many new characters were announced in this Direct presentation. During E3, the director – Masahiro Sakurai – came forth and said soon after the announcement that all old fighters were returning that he hoped we 'would be understanding' if he didn't add many new fighters. At this point, we only knew about Inkling and Daisy. However, this Direct gave us five new characters, and they're all ones that fit perfectly and were expected.

The presentation started with a trailer for Simon Belmont, Richter Belmont (An echo fighter of Simon), and the Dracula's castle stage as well as Alucard as an assist trophy. Last night, before the Direct happened, Nintendo's youtube account leaked some Castlevania tunes so we all knew last nigh that there would be some Castlevania representation, but I think we can all agree that the amount that was revealed was well beyond our expectations. We all expected Simon would be the character and that there would be a stage, but Richter being announced as well was a pleasant surprise and I think Dracula's castle – the Castlevania stage – might be one of the most interesting stage in the entire game.

Coming with Dracula's castle are 34 Castlevania tracks as well as something like 10 different minibosses and monsters that will attack you going from simple stuff like werewolves to Dracula himself! Honestly, I am blown away by how great this game's representation is in Smash Bros. Oh, and that's without even getting into the details of how fun Simon looks to play as, with his whip as his default smash (long range and powerful but slow), and his specials each being stuff like an arcing axe, holy water, and his boomerang cross! Looks like a perfect representation of the character and I'm so excited to play as him.

I wasn't even a fan of the first four Castlevania games and this has me stoked!

Rather than jump all around the direct, I'll talk more about the new characters first, keeping the reveals all in one chunk rather than spread around the whole article.

Beyond Simon and Richter, two more echo fighters were announced. Chrom from Fire Emblem is going to be Roy's echo fighter (I thought he was going to be Ike's, but upon rewatching I see he's the echo of Roy), and Dark Samus is of course an echo fighter for Samus. Both are marginally different from their source fighters, such as how Dark Samus looks floatier.

The final character announcement came at the end of the direct after Sakurai said his goodbyes. Just as he was winding down, the screen shook and we went to a video of Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong chilling in their tree house when a menacing figure showed up looking like King K Rool! It was King Dedede in a mask! GOOD TROLL, SAKURAI-WAIT! From behind Dedede came King K Rool himself, announcing himself for Smash!

I kinda figured this out because earlier in the Direct, Klaptrap (a kremling from DKC1 on SNES) was shown, and it was speculated that Rare had partial rights to the kremlings, of whick K.Rool was a member. Either way, he looks beefy, carries his captain's musket from Diddy's Kong quest and his crown from the original, and I'm excited to play as him.

That's all for the character reveals, but so far that's 4 new characters, and 4 new echo fighters, considerably more new characters than I expected after the announcement that all old characters were returning. Very happy to read, see, and hear about all this, and I'm going to be overwhelmed with options in the end.

Another new stage was also announced in a montaage of confirmed older stages. New Donk City Hall from Super Mario Odyssey is joining the game and is one of those travelling levels like Isle Delfino, Saffron City, and the racing levels from F-Zero. Looks good, nothing special.

What does look special, however, is the wide variety of options for the stages. Sakurai confirmed there are 103 stages – exactly 100 if you don't count Final Destination, Battlefield, and Big Battlefield. In addition, every single stage has omega mode (just a flat surface), Battlefield mode (flat surface with three platforms), and can be played 8-player and are playable from the beginning. Also, you can turn stage hazards/bosses off in the menu (thus removing all those Castlevania monsters, enemies like the Yellow Devil in Dr Wily's Fortress, and the giant mech in the Xenoblade level).

A new mode has also been added called Stage Morph, where you can pick two levels that will be alternated between and can chose how frequently it happens. In this mode, you could be in New Donk City, then at the 1:00 mark, the stage could morph to Skyloft or DK Jungle! Might not be a big deal for many, but I'm quite fond of this option and it really adds to the game's dedication to player choice.

After all of this was announced – with a cool bonus being that you can cycle who gets to chose stages/options – the Direct then went on to show how you can customize each stage's music, but only within that franchise. IE: Great Plateau Tower can have any Legend of Zelda music. After counting, it was revealed that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has over 800 tracks, and over 900 compositions if you include victory fanfare and menu select. Listening to all of these tracks would take you 28 hours and can be enjoyed like an MP3 player if your Switch is in portable mode and the screen is off!

That came out of left field, but I'm not complaining.

Next came the refinements in battle. You can now create pre-determined rule sets and switch through them at will. Used to 3-stock matches with no time limit? You can make a preset for that. Prefer 5 minute matches? You can make a preset for that, too! Stamina battle is now on the same level as stock or time, so it's another option in that vein!

Now, the game goes: Rules are decided on, then stage, then fighters to better optimize your play style. Sudden death now has a shrinking level border to intensify the experience in addition to the 300% damage meter. There's now an option to build up final smashes instead of getting a smash ball (but these versions are weaker), but you can chose between this mode or the traditional smash ball.

In addition to these subtle changes, there are also whole new modes (and some returning modes) including Squad Mode and Tourney Mode. Squad mode is a 3v3 or 5v5 mode, like stock but with different characters. Once the first character is knocked out, your second player can come in and so on. Tournament mode is as you'd expect. Nothing special but fun. The other new mode is called smashdown mode, and this is a bit different from the others. Each character can only be picked once. So if you have a 4-player mode where Mario, DK, Link, and Pikachu are picked, the next fight cannot have any of those four options. Each battle cuts down the player base more and more until they're all used up!

Again, interesting and fun, even if it's not something I expect to be used all that often.

Training mode has been overhauled, with a special stage showing a grid to show how far enemies fly so you can create combos and the like. A nice step forward, if I say so myself.

We then got confirmation that classic mode is coming back, a single player mode that just has you squaring off against a series of predetermined challenges and enemies. I am super stoked for this because it's nice to sometimes just do a 20 minute 'campaign'. Also, each character has their own variant of classic mode, so the enemies you fight when playing this mode as Mario will not be the same ones you fight as Samus.

It also appears that the points system is returning as well, though this is just speculation. I'd love to see cool bonuses like 'beat the enemy without getting hit' or whatever giving you points. Little per-fight trophies, really. Glad to see this is coming back, if it is.

After that and between this part and the King K Rool announcement, there was a lengthy breakdown of all the new items, pokemon, and assist trophies that were coming out. I'll try to run through them quickly:

Banana Gun is a banana that shoots once then is a peel. Killing Edge is a sword that alternates between normal and super powerful. Bomber is an item you hold above your head till it goes boom. Death Scythe is an instant KO to anyone over a certain damage (further showing that this game is including an instant KO mechanic in some regards that doesn't require you to be knocked off the stage). A staff is a weapon that does more damage the farther away you are from your opponent. Ramblin Evil Mushroom reverses your controls if it's used on you. Rage Blaster is a gun that does more damage the higher your damage.

As for Pokemon, we got a bunch of those, too. Eggecute is its Alolan form and grows tall, cutting the stage in half. Abra teleports you towards hazards. Lunala and Solgaleo just do huge wave beams to attack you for massive damage. Mimikyu captures you and beats you up before spitting you out. Pyukumuko doesn't attack but counters for massive damage. Vulpix has both original and Alolan forms, spewing ice and fire in equal measure. Marshadow sneaks under you and attacks.

In addition to Alucard – who acts like he did in Symphony of the Night – we have a bunch of new assist trophies, some of which I'd rather have had as characters but I'm just happy to have them in the game. These include:

Zero from Mega Man X, Knuckles from Sonic the Hedgehog, Krystal from Star Fox Adventures, Klaptrap from Donkey Kong Country (This is what confirmed for me that King K Rool was coming), Kapp'N from Animal Crossing(?), Chef Kawasaki from Kirby(?), Gray Fox from Metal Gear Solid, Nikki from Animal Crossing(?), The moon from Majoa's mask, and Bomberman from your nightmares.

I kid, but next came the final two announcements; one of which sort of disappointed me while the other is kind of a major deal and super awesome. First, Shovel Knight is in the game but he's an assist trophy, which is a shame because he was one of my top three most wanted characters (The other two being Geno from Mario RPG and Simon Belmont from Castlevania), but awesome because hey, Shovel Knight is awesome and deserves representation! The next was that, and I think you should hold onto your butts: Rathalos from Monster Hunter is in the game both as a level boss and an assist trophy! This is the first time a character has been both a boss and an assist trophy.

I speculate that if Rathalos (Ratholos?) is in the game, we might get a Monster Hunter level or character in the game. Here's hoping, but I am not holding my breath.

In fact, the end of the presentation is where a lot of speculation comes into play. They showed us the main menu with a dashboard showing invites and other details such as settings, Smash, Online, Vault, and 'Games and More', but a mysterious final option that was blurred out from both the main screen and the dashboard with Sakurai saying he 'couldn't discuss that mode yet'. Within “Smash” mode, you get the aforementioned rules such as Squad Strike, Tourney mode, Special Smash, controllers, and basic Smash, but we don't get shown what's behind “Games and more”.

I imagine stuff like event mode, classic mode, and much of the gameplay will be behind Smash and 'games and More' (which is bad graphic design, if you ask me), but that leaves some stuff open for that last option. I personally hope it's an adventure more or Subspace Emissarry (or some equivalent) to give folks something to do in singleplayer mode, and it's speculated that this one hidden mode is going to be how you unlock most characters (Since that's a returning mechanic that was abandoned for WiiU and 3DS).

Again, the Direct concluded with the King K Rool reveal, so that's where the presentation ended.

Honestly, there are only a few things I think could make this game any better at this point, and if none of those things happen I'd be fine with it. There's so much going for Smash Ultimate that even if it was released tomorrow without a single new mode, feature, or character added, it'd still be the 'ultimate' version of the game and still be doubly worth what it costs. That said, I'm reasonably certain we still have a few major reveals left. What is that secret mode? How many more characters are there? Is there a level creator option? Is there an adventure or story mode?

We can see that all 103 levels have been revealed (I counted and cross-referenced them), but I think we definitely still have at least 2-5 characters left to reveal. I was happy with just all old characters returning, but a leak stated there would be 12 newcomers in total, with half of them being echo fighters. Also, during this Direct, Sakurai said he had 'a few more fighters to show' after revealing Dark Samus and Chrom. Beyond that point in the presentation, only King K Rool was shown. That is not a few, that is one. Sakurai is a hype master and choses his words carefully, which is why I think we do have some more characters to be revealed.

My predictions, based on what we've seen, what we haven't seen, and what I hope, are as follows:

1 – Geno: Nintendo is tight with Square-Enix now and Geno was the 11th most requested on the Smash Ballot.

2 – Decidueye: Been a new pokemon every new game, and Decidueye makes the most sense.

3 – Captain Toad: Toad is underrepresented and Captain Toad is a successful game recently released!

4 – Spring Man/Ribbon Girl: Any character from ARMS. There has to be at least one!

5 – Minecraft Steve! You heard me. I just think this would be awesome.

I was originally hoping for Dixie Kong as an echo fighter of Diddy, but she wasn't revealed at the same time as King K Rool so I doubt she's ever going to join (If so, she'll be DLC). Same with Isabella as an echo fighter for Villager and Waddle/bandanna Dee as an echo fighter for kirby. I still think Waluigi should be a fighter but he's still an assist trophy. Dry Bones would make a good Bowser Echo Fighter, funky Kong could be a good echo fighter for Donkey Kong, Ken/Akuma could be great echo fighters for Ryu, etc.

I figure we have a few more character announcements, but if it turned out this was it (for launch), I'm still quite happy and impressed.

I've not been this excited for a videogame since Smash Bros. Brawl all the way back in 2008! Honestly, this is the one game I hope everyone has and I hope works online. If it does, I could see myself sinking hundreds – if not, thousands – of hours into this game. Plus, I hope you can play it linked like the 3DS, doing online if you and your buddies are away from a TV but both have your Switches with you.

At this point, all I want to see is an adventure mode of some sort added (Singleplayer, co-op, I don't care), a level editor, and Event mode with stuff like board the platforms/break the targets on the side. Three modes, everything else is already here!

No matter what happens, I'm happy. Here's hoping other fans are, too!  

Did Simon Belmont's reveal help anyone else realize that they want a darker Luigi's Mansion???
Seeing Luigi screaming and running from iconic Castlevania enemies was fun as hell...
I don't need gore necessarily, but if they wanted to make the ghosts a little less cartoony and a little more chilling, I would be all over that shit...

Have a nice day...

irstupid said:
KLAMarine said:

2 new fighters announced

3 new echo fighters announced

900 songs

103 levels

options galore (turn off stage hazards, stage swapping mid battle, stage select before fighter select, smash meter, ect)

I got tired. Really best thing to do is watch it. There is just soo much damn stuff that they mentioned, it makes the E3 presentation looked like a brief summary of smash.

Sounds fun!

Alara317 said:
KLAMarine said:

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
08-08-2018 Direct Recap

They're not lying when they said this is the ultimate version of Smash Bros. This Nintendo direct – which was 27 minutes of nothing but Smash Bros. – proved that by not only elaborating on what we already knew but giving us a bunch of new information on the game that will have fans salivating until the game's release date on Dec 7th of this year.

Before I get into the meat of this direct, allow me to go over some of the key announcements we knew about going into this – most of which came at E3 of this year.

First and foremost, every fighter from previous games is coming back for Smash Bros. Ultimate. That means Snake, Cloud, Ice Climbers, Pichu, Wolf, and everyone in between is in this game. In the case of Venusaur and Squirtle, they are coming back as the threesome that is Pokemon Trainer alongside Charizard. Furthermore, we already knew that Inkling from Splatoon, Ridley from Metroid, and Daisy were joining the fray with Daisy being an echo fighter of Peach.

Echo fighters are variants on existing fighters with the same move set but with different properties and stats. IE: Lucina is Marth's echo fighter, and her sword works slightly different to Marth.

We also could tell that most – if not all – of the previous levels from prior games were also coming back. Though it was never announced or declared in the E3 presentation, lists of shown levels have been compiled and we've seen over 80 so far leading up to this. As for new levels, we had seen only a few for Smash Bros. Ultimate, including Great Plateau Tower from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and Moray Towers from Splatoon.

As for gameplay changes, many characters have been tweaked, moves have been adjusted, and gameplay features like directional wave dashing have been reinstated in the game, making this a fundamentally altered and improved experience, not just a port or greatest hits compilation.

Honestly, if that was all we got – the verification of all those old stages and characters returning, the few new additions, and the refinement to the gameplay – I'd still have been happy and eager for this game, but wow was there so much more.

For starters, I was absolutely shocked at how many new characters were announced in this Direct presentation. During E3, the director – Masahiro Sakurai – came forth and said soon after the announcement that all old fighters were returning that he hoped we 'would be understanding' if he didn't add many new fighters. At this point, we only knew about Inkling and Daisy. However, this Direct gave us five new characters, and they're all ones that fit perfectly and were expected.

The presentation started with a trailer for Simon Belmont, Richter Belmont (An echo fighter of Simon), and the Dracula's castle stage as well as Alucard as an assist trophy. Last night, before the Direct happened, Nintendo's youtube account leaked some Castlevania tunes so we all knew last nigh that there would be some Castlevania representation, but I think we can all agree that the amount that was revealed was well beyond our expectations. We all expected Simon would be the character and that there would be a stage, but Richter being announced as well was a pleasant surprise and I think Dracula's castle – the Castlevania stage – might be one of the most interesting stage in the entire game.

Coming with Dracula's castle are 34 Castlevania tracks as well as something like 10 different minibosses and monsters that will attack you going from simple stuff like werewolves to Dracula himself! Honestly, I am blown away by how great this game's representation is in Smash Bros. Oh, and that's without even getting into the details of how fun Simon looks to play as, with his whip as his default smash (long range and powerful but slow), and his specials each being stuff like an arcing axe, holy water, and his boomerang cross! Looks like a perfect representation of the character and I'm so excited to play as him.

I wasn't even a fan of the first four Castlevania games and this has me stoked!

Rather than jump all around the direct, I'll talk more about the new characters first, keeping the reveals all in one chunk rather than spread around the whole article.

Beyond Simon and Richter, two more echo fighters were announced. Chrom from Fire Emblem is going to be Roy's echo fighter (I thought he was going to be Ike's, but upon rewatching I see he's the echo of Roy), and Dark Samus is of course an echo fighter for Samus. Both are marginally different from their source fighters, such as how Dark Samus looks floatier.

The final character announcement came at the end of the direct after Sakurai said his goodbyes. Just as he was winding down, the screen shook and we went to a video of Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong chilling in their tree house when a menacing figure showed up looking like King K Rool! It was King Dedede in a mask! GOOD TROLL, SAKURAI-WAIT! From behind Dedede came King K Rool himself, announcing himself for Smash!

I kinda figured this out because earlier in the Direct, Klaptrap (a kremling from DKC1 on SNES) was shown, and it was speculated that Rare had partial rights to the kremlings, of whick K.Rool was a member. Either way, he looks beefy, carries his captain's musket from Diddy's Kong quest and his crown from the original, and I'm excited to play as him.

That's all for the character reveals, but so far that's 4 new characters, and 4 new echo fighters, considerably more new characters than I expected after the announcement that all old characters were returning. Very happy to read, see, and hear about all this, and I'm going to be overwhelmed with options in the end.

Another new stage was also announced in a montaage of confirmed older stages. New Donk City Hall from Super Mario Odyssey is joining the game and is one of those travelling levels like Isle Delfino, Saffron City, and the racing levels from F-Zero. Looks good, nothing special.

What does look special, however, is the wide variety of options for the stages. Sakurai confirmed there are 103 stages – exactly 100 if you don't count Final Destination, Battlefield, and Big Battlefield. In addition, every single stage has omega mode (just a flat surface), Battlefield mode (flat surface with three platforms), and can be played 8-player and are playable from the beginning. Also, you can turn stage hazards/bosses off in the menu (thus removing all those Castlevania monsters, enemies like the Yellow Devil in Dr Wily's Fortress, and the giant mech in the Xenoblade level).

A new mode has also been added called Stage Morph, where you can pick two levels that will be alternated between and can chose how frequently it happens. In this mode, you could be in New Donk City, then at the 1:00 mark, the stage could morph to Skyloft or DK Jungle! Might not be a big deal for many, but I'm quite fond of this option and it really adds to the game's dedication to player choice.

After all of this was announced – with a cool bonus being that you can cycle who gets to chose stages/options – the Direct then went on to show how you can customize each stage's music, but only within that franchise. IE: Great Plateau Tower can have any Legend of Zelda music. After counting, it was revealed that Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has over 800 tracks, and over 900 compositions if you include victory fanfare and menu select. Listening to all of these tracks would take you 28 hours and can be enjoyed like an MP3 player if your Switch is in portable mode and the screen is off!

That came out of left field, but I'm not complaining.

Next came the refinements in battle. You can now create pre-determined rule sets and switch through them at will. Used to 3-stock matches with no time limit? You can make a preset for that. Prefer 5 minute matches? You can make a preset for that, too! Stamina battle is now on the same level as stock or time, so it's another option in that vein!

Now, the game goes: Rules are decided on, then stage, then fighters to better optimize your play style. Sudden death now has a shrinking level border to intensify the experience in addition to the 300% damage meter. There's now an option to build up final smashes instead of getting a smash ball (but these versions are weaker), but you can chose between this mode or the traditional smash ball.

In addition to these subtle changes, there are also whole new modes (and some returning modes) including Squad Mode and Tourney Mode. Squad mode is a 3v3 or 5v5 mode, like stock but with different characters. Once the first character is knocked out, your second player can come in and so on. Tournament mode is as you'd expect. Nothing special but fun. The other new mode is called smashdown mode, and this is a bit different from the others. Each character can only be picked once. So if you have a 4-player mode where Mario, DK, Link, and Pikachu are picked, the next fight cannot have any of those four options. Each battle cuts down the player base more and more until they're all used up!

Again, interesting and fun, even if it's not something I expect to be used all that often.

Training mode has been overhauled, with a special stage showing a grid to show how far enemies fly so you can create combos and the like. A nice step forward, if I say so myself.

We then got confirmation that classic mode is coming back, a single player mode that just has you squaring off against a series of predetermined challenges and enemies. I am super stoked for this because it's nice to sometimes just do a 20 minute 'campaign'. Also, each character has their own variant of classic mode, so the enemies you fight when playing this mode as Mario will not be the same ones you fight as Samus.

It also appears that the points system is returning as well, though this is just speculation. I'd love to see cool bonuses like 'beat the enemy without getting hit' or whatever giving you points. Little per-fight trophies, really. Glad to see this is coming back, if it is.

After that and between this part and the King K Rool announcement, there was a lengthy breakdown of all the new items, pokemon, and assist trophies that were coming out. I'll try to run through them quickly:

Banana Gun is a banana that shoots once then is a peel. Killing Edge is a sword that alternates between normal and super powerful. Bomber is an item you hold above your head till it goes boom. Death Scythe is an instant KO to anyone over a certain damage (further showing that this game is including an instant KO mechanic in some regards that doesn't require you to be knocked off the stage). A staff is a weapon that does more damage the farther away you are from your opponent. Ramblin Evil Mushroom reverses your controls if it's used on you. Rage Blaster is a gun that does more damage the higher your damage.

As for Pokemon, we got a bunch of those, too. Eggecute is its Alolan form and grows tall, cutting the stage in half. Abra teleports you towards hazards. Lunala and Solgaleo just do huge wave beams to attack you for massive damage. Mimikyu captures you and beats you up before spitting you out. Pyukumuko doesn't attack but counters for massive damage. Vulpix has both original and Alolan forms, spewing ice and fire in equal measure. Marshadow sneaks under you and attacks.

In addition to Alucard – who acts like he did in Symphony of the Night – we have a bunch of new assist trophies, some of which I'd rather have had as characters but I'm just happy to have them in the game. These include:

Zero from Mega Man X, Knuckles from Sonic the Hedgehog, Krystal from Star Fox Adventures, Klaptrap from Donkey Kong Country (This is what confirmed for me that King K Rool was coming), Kapp'N from Animal Crossing(?), Chef Kawasaki from Kirby(?), Gray Fox from Metal Gear Solid, Nikki from Animal Crossing(?), The moon from Majoa's mask, and Bomberman from your nightmares.

I kid, but next came the final two announcements; one of which sort of disappointed me while the other is kind of a major deal and super awesome. First, Shovel Knight is in the game but he's an assist trophy, which is a shame because he was one of my top three most wanted characters (The other two being Geno from Mario RPG and Simon Belmont from Castlevania), but awesome because hey, Shovel Knight is awesome and deserves representation! The next was that, and I think you should hold onto your butts: Rathalos from Monster Hunter is in the game both as a level boss and an assist trophy! This is the first time a character has been both a boss and an assist trophy.

I speculate that if Rathalos (Ratholos?) is in the game, we might get a Monster Hunter level or character in the game. Here's hoping, but I am not holding my breath.

In fact, the end of the presentation is where a lot of speculation comes into play. They showed us the main menu with a dashboard showing invites and other details such as settings, Smash, Online, Vault, and 'Games and More', but a mysterious final option that was blurred out from both the main screen and the dashboard with Sakurai saying he 'couldn't discuss that mode yet'. Within “Smash” mode, you get the aforementioned rules such as Squad Strike, Tourney mode, Special Smash, controllers, and basic Smash, but we don't get shown what's behind “Games and more”.

I imagine stuff like event mode, classic mode, and much of the gameplay will be behind Smash and 'games and More' (which is bad graphic design, if you ask me), but that leaves some stuff open for that last option. I personally hope it's an adventure more or Subspace Emissarry (or some equivalent) to give folks something to do in singleplayer mode, and it's speculated that this one hidden mode is going to be how you unlock most characters (Since that's a returning mechanic that was abandoned for WiiU and 3DS).

Again, the Direct concluded with the King K Rool reveal, so that's where the presentation ended.

Honestly, there are only a few things I think could make this game any better at this point, and if none of those things happen I'd be fine with it. There's so much going for Smash Ultimate that even if it was released tomorrow without a single new mode, feature, or character added, it'd still be the 'ultimate' version of the game and still be doubly worth what it costs. That said, I'm reasonably certain we still have a few major reveals left. What is that secret mode? How many more characters are there? Is there a level creator option? Is there an adventure or story mode?

We can see that all 103 levels have been revealed (I counted and cross-referenced them), but I think we definitely still have at least 2-5 characters left to reveal. I was happy with just all old characters returning, but a leak stated there would be 12 newcomers in total, with half of them being echo fighters. Also, during this Direct, Sakurai said he had 'a few more fighters to show' after revealing Dark Samus and Chrom. Beyond that point in the presentation, only King K Rool was shown. That is not a few, that is one. Sakurai is a hype master and choses his words carefully, which is why I think we do have some more characters to be revealed.

My predictions, based on what we've seen, what we haven't seen, and what I hope, are as follows:

1 – Geno: Nintendo is tight with Square-Enix now and Geno was the 11th most requested on the Smash Ballot.

2 – Decidueye: Been a new pokemon every new game, and Decidueye makes the most sense.

3 – Captain Toad: Toad is underrepresented and Captain Toad is a successful game recently released!

4 – Spring Man/Ribbon Girl: Any character from ARMS. There has to be at least one!

5 – Minecraft Steve! You heard me. I just think this would be awesome.

I was originally hoping for Dixie Kong as an echo fighter of Diddy, but she wasn't revealed at the same time as King K Rool so I doubt she's ever going to join (If so, she'll be DLC). Same with Isabella as an echo fighter for Villager and Waddle/bandanna Dee as an echo fighter for kirby. I still think Waluigi should be a fighter but he's still an assist trophy. Dry Bones would make a good Bowser Echo Fighter, funky Kong could be a good echo fighter for Donkey Kong, Ken/Akuma could be great echo fighters for Ryu, etc.

I figure we have a few more character announcements, but if it turned out this was it (for launch), I'm still quite happy and impressed.

I've not been this excited for a videogame since Smash Bros. Brawl all the way back in 2008! Honestly, this is the one game I hope everyone has and I hope works online. If it does, I could see myself sinking hundreds – if not, thousands – of hours into this game. Plus, I hope you can play it linked like the 3DS, doing online if you and your buddies are away from a TV but both have your Switches with you.

At this point, all I want to see is an adventure mode of some sort added (Singleplayer, co-op, I don't care), a level editor, and Event mode with stuff like board the platforms/break the targets on the side. Three modes, everything else is already here!

No matter what happens, I'm happy. Here's hoping other fans are, too!  

Please tell me you copy-pasted this.

the most hype thing about it was the 34 songs from Castlevania, pour all the love in those soundtracks Nintendo.