By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Why football failed to catch on in certain countries

It's not very popular opinion, but I find football (soccer) very boring - then again, of all the team sports I only find basketball enjoyable to watch.

Around the Network

The premise is wrong. It's not that football hasn't caught on in those countries. It's just that it hasn't done so yet. It's inevitable really though

COKTOE said:
jason1637 said:

I'd say football is easier to pick up than hockey. All you need is the ball, a group of people and then pick two opposite areas as touchdown areas.

Oh hellll yes, and it's not even close. A large number of people don't know how to skate, and of those, a vast majority are like a newborn doe when they try. Hockey is also, easily the most expensive sport to play among those listed. Especially playing the goalie. Then, there's the requirement for a rink and ice to go with it. A bit trickier to find than grass.

NightlyPoe said:
pastro243 said:
I always hear this "offside rule is stupid" from people from the US. Without offside the game would turn into a million meaningless goals with poachers as forwards and boring long balls to them. Seriously, it's more than the goals, watch the midfield and try to get what happens there.

Read the actual comment.  Once again, I said the rule should be dropped when it gets carried to a certain point on the field.  Call it an attacking zone or whatever.  It wouldn't change the midfield game at all really.  It would just stop the defense from getting bailed out next to the goal.

As for telling us to watch the midfield game.  It's really not that hard to follow, nor is it all that interesting.  That sentiment is almost a demonstration of why soccer is such a lousy sport to watch.

The 'Attacking Zone' is the opposition half, you can't be offside if you are in your half when the ball is played to you and then move to the opposition half. If you are in the opposition half and are between the last man and keeper, it's offside. The idea is to stop people from just standing next to the goal all game like idiots, in school we call this goal hanging as there is no offside in playground football.

Last edited by The Fury - on 24 July 2018

Hmm, pie.

It's just America self segregating itself, always was. And American football is embarrassing, bunch of wimps Rugby players laugh at.

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
It's just America self segregating itself, always was. And American football is embarrassing, bunch of wimps Rugby players laugh at.

You keep believing that buddy lol We all need to sleep at night.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

alternine said:
Random_Matt said:

You keep believing that buddy lol We all need to sleep at night.

Then I'm sure you will sleep soundly.

It is pretty much everywhere else, and in the USA for instance it is growing fast. It's pretty big in Japan too

NightlyPoe said:
pastro243 said:
I always hear this "offside rule is stupid" from people from the US. Without offside the game would turn into a million meaningless goals with poachers as forwards and boring long balls to them. Seriously, it's more than the goals, watch the midfield and try to get what happens there.

Read the actual comment.  Once again, I said the rule should be dropped when it gets carried to a certain point on the field.  Call it an attacking zone or whatever.  It wouldn't change the midfield game at all really.  It would just stop the defense from getting bailed out next to the goal.

As for telling us to watch the midfield game.  It's really not that hard to follow, nor is it all that interesting.  That sentiment is almost a demonstration of why soccer is such a lousy sport to watch.

Offside is the single most important rule of Football, and every little change in this rule ultimately evolves the game. 

And to your last point, you can enjoy football for many things. The little things in midfield, the defensive game, the skills, team play, tactics, etc.. The more you watch the more you get how the subtle things can influence the game. Also two things separate it from most sports:

- It's like basketball where it is basket after basket, it does not seek quick instant gratification but rather you have to wait for the big moments and take them.  This delayed form of gratification makes you appreciate a lot of things in the game, and it makes scoring a goal so enjoyable.

- There are no breaks, no commercial to break the tension, no timeouts. This keeps the emotion of the game, the fans, the crowd, going on and on which in turn builds momentum. This is why football fans are so different than most sports (that and the fact that american fans in stadiums are just no fun).

Last edited by kopstudent89 - on 24 July 2018

i am from india

football is pretty popular here