By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Water in video games

Haven't played it for a while, but I remember being impressed with the water effects in Star Fox Adventures around the time of release (2002 I think it was).

Around the Network

I'm glad they included Unreal

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind. 2002.
One of the early games that leveraged pixel shaders for water effects, required fairly beefy GPU hardware at the time. (I.E. Geforce 3/Radeon 8500 and higher thanks to it's requirement of programmable shaders.)
Shame that Digital Foundry didn't give this game a mention.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Shame that Digital Foundry didn't give this game a mention

They did

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

m0ney said:
Pemalite said:

Shame that Digital Foundry didn't give this game a mention

They did

They did? I must have fell asleep during that part then. Haha

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

They did? I must have fell asleep during that part then. Haha

At the end, they said it will be in Part 2

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

I really like the water in Uncharted 4

yep, that's gameplay.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:

yep, that's gameplay.

I 2nd this. Uncharted 4 is in its own generation graphically. This area is far and away the most impressive water i've seen. 

I will give Super Mario Odyssey the nod for an artful and fun water level as well.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
deskpro2k3 said:

yep, that's gameplay.

I 2nd this. Uncharted 4 is in its own generation graphically. This area is far and away the most impressive water i've seen. 

I will give Super Mario Odyssey the nod for an artful and fun water level as well.

Uncharted 3 had a pretty amazing water level too.

i remember this one WiiWare game called Fluidity that was entirely based around water. you didnt have a character, instead you just rotated the game world back and worth in order to guide a puddle of water throughout different sections of the game. some of the obstacles would include grates in the floor that your couldnt pass over without the puddle falling through, or various heat sources that would cause the water to evaporate. it was a really fun concept