By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - To those who say Octopath is not worth 60 dollars...

Shaunodon said:
Farsala said:

Those games should be less too. Publishers should try different prices like Sony did with Sly Cooper and Ratchet and Clank. The Order 1886 might have been a success if it was $30, but it could have flopped again who knows.

Why should Octopath be a lower price? It's selling out world over and it's critically acclaimed. As I said before this isn't a widespread problem or complaint for Octopath Traveler, so I don't know why we're even having this debate.

I prefer Japan's pricing better, as in its all over the place and fits the game. A highly sought after game like MHW can be $70-$90, while the simple anime games are as low as $40-$60. Lower prices on launch generally have very good legs too, without having to cut the price.

Lets compare MHW, Octopath Traveler, and Smash Ultimate in Japan.

MHW was 7922 yen or $71.10.

OT was 6333 yen or $56.84.

Smash is 6705 yen or $60.18.

So you see $60 for everything isn't best imo.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
Shaunodon said:

Why should Octopath be a lower price? It's selling out world over and it's critically acclaimed. As I said before this isn't a widespread problem or complaint for Octopath Traveler, so I don't know why we're even having this debate.

I prefer Japan's pricing better, as in its all over the place and fits the game. A highly sought after game like MHW can be $70-$90, while the simple anime games are as low as $40-$60. Lower prices on launch generally have very good legs too, without having to cut the price.

Well it's documented now that Square heavily underestimated how sought after Octopath would be, which is why they're having stock issues. If they could go back they'd probably have priced it higher along with more stock. $60 hasn't stopped it from selling out in the US either, so I'm not sure why this should be relevant.

Shaunodon said:
Farsala said:

Well it's documented now that Square heavily underestimated how sought after Octopath would be, which is why they're having stock issues. If they could go back they'd probably have priced it higher along with more stock. $60 hasn't stopped it from selling out in the US either, so I'm not sure why this should be relevant.

I don't really care about SE's expectations, they are usually wrong.

I personally prefer price variety. If games like CoD go up in price while JRPGs go down in price I would be happy, because then CoD buyers pay more and JRPG buyers like me pay less.

OP, honestly those don't realize the game's worth aren't worth your time. Part of the problem with gaming today is the sheer acceptance of fluff over substance. Games get streamlined, dumb downed, shorter, and have half the content ripped out to be sold back as DLC. Those are worth $60 because they are "pretty" apparently.

Wyrdness said:
DonFerrari said:

sure not cut edge doesn't equate poor but also doesn't scream 60 usd.

you assume to much and the claim back pedalling. quote me saying the cont is good or bad and then you can try and claim back pedaling. still something costing more to make generally justifies a higher price.

the argument is the OP so if you want to deviate from that and say you only want to discuss the premise someone else made fine, but that have nothing to do with language barrier. But please make me shake in fear of your excellent arguments. Seems like ypu quickly forgot your confusion between tool and material.

The thread is to discuss what was put by OP so if you don't want to discuss what he put the you are derailing and being of topic... besides being condescending. I have already replied OP.

Yet good story, gameplay, content etc.. does. You earlier:

"And just to make something very clear to you, 100h of content that aren't as good as 30h of another doesn't make it same value."

This is you trying to play down the content's quality earlier and now you're claiming you never questioned quality, costing more doesn't justify having a higher price value does this is why X1 had issues selling early on because the was cheaper made product that delivered better value to the point the more expensive product had to have price cuts to match.

I didn't deviate from anything cut the BS I responded to someone who tried saying that the budget in development determines the value as their reasoning at which point you tried to dance your way in and got dismantled now here you are trying to shift the argument to make it look like you had a point when in actual case you had sod all to add to it. Guess what people can respond to others in related branches of debate only one derailing is you with your continued nonsense because my original post was still part of the topic unlike you here.

I'll tell you this right here don't respond to me with your nonsense ever if you can't accept the rebuttals that come your way because I'll shut it down over and over and don't ever try to act high and mighty when earlier you tried to become personal because I can already see you're one to try and start something then crumble when things become too hot for you to handle. I'm not here to sugar coat responses to replies when they're type you've been bringing remember that next time you want to try your hand at being a commando.

No that is you that accuses me of not being good in English failing at logic, nowhere in that sentence I say that is the case of Octopath. The argument is over content being what justifies price (or in this case more precisely lenght). Plethora of content that isn't very good doesn't overvalue small content of exceptional quality. You again ASSUMED it was saying Octopath content is bad (which you then tried to put in my mouth, and when I said I didn't say it, you put in my mouth that I agreed or said the content was good).

X1 was seem as lower value to the people that preffered PS4, does that mean it values lower? Not to the people that bought it first (and in USA they have been very close for the whole gen). So?

Drop off of your very high horse.

And UE4 being used is a toll not an asset, so using UE4 doesn't make a game meet the standard production value of this gen, it just make it uses the average tool. I would bet there are a lot of low quality Indies using UE4 that would look and play a lot worse than games made on perhaps even UE2.

Shiken said:
DonFerrari said:

And wouldn't you also be limiting yourself by not playing games with 8h because it would cost 60?

If duration equate value or price then GT5 should have retailed for 1000 usd

I played The Order 1886 and enjoyed it when it first came out.  I am just taking the perspective of the general masses at the time and using it to counter a point on the other end of the spectrum.

When a game like The Order comes out and people say, "visuals are great and the gunplay is great, but it can be beaten in 6 hours so it should cost 20-30 bucks" with many of them pulling a 180 years later with an game like Octopath and say, "The visuals are too primitive so it should only cost 40 bucks despite having around 100 hours of enjoyable gameplay (if you like JRPGs), solid gameplay mechanics, and interesting plotlines," it just does not make sense to me.  I was simply making a point, not expressing my own feeling towards shorter games.  I am with you, it would be limiting.  That is why I play both.

To me, one aspect can balance another.  Of a game is enjoyable and is a technical feat for its time, the 60 is fine.  If a game has low production cost but offers more content than many other games for the same price, 60 is also fine.  It is not one way or the other, they are interchangeable.

Yes sure, a lot of people though it being less than 12h didn't justify the price (I myself didn't pay it, borrowed, and probably wouldn't even though for me the game was very high quality I couldn't justify the price).

It probably aren't the same people that said both sentences, unless you can quote and source them. But you are just missing that both cases can very well be true for the same person without being hypocrise. A game is made of it full package. So if it is to short or production values is to low (for the person) a lot of people will say it doesn't justify it's price. I see no issue on that.

You may need only one side being sufficient to justify, most would rather have all.

Farsala said:
Shaunodon said:

I don't really care about SE's expectations, they are usually wrong.

I personally prefer price variety. If games like CoD go up in price while JRPGs go down in price I would be happy, because then CoD buyers pay more and JRPG buyers like me pay less.

Can't totally disagree that I would like the games I love to cost 10 while the Fifas and CoDs cost 100.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
Peh said:
Those are just poor trolls. Ignore them.

It's like the tale with "The Fox and the Grapes". Meaning: if they can't afford it, it's not worth it.

You cannot believe this to be true? Please say you don't convince yourself that everyone who doesn't buy an item doesn't buy it because they don't have the cash for it?

See page 2.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:
Ganoncrotch said:

You cannot believe this to be true? Please say you don't convince yourself that everyone who doesn't buy an item doesn't buy it because they don't have the cash for it?

See page 2.

I see this site as 100 posts per page, I've no idea how you have that setting, could you just link a post please, would be a lot easier.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
Peh said:

See page 2.

I see this site as 100 posts per page, I've no idea how you have that setting, could you just link a post please, would be a lot easier.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8852626

100 posts per page? I don't know how to do it.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:
Ganoncrotch said:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8852626

100 posts per page? I don't know how to do it.

I just meant that if you used the default (I think 10 posts per page) then page 2 would be posts 11-20 or page 2 could be 26-50, would have been a lot of digging!

But I sort of get what you mean but you still aren't quite understanding the complaint I fear, say you have 2 restaurants in your town, one sells giant 3 course meals, they've got the music story and graphics of a great night out with all the trimmings, everything you would expect from a AAA dining experience, they charge 50 for a meal, now across the street is another restaurant, they are offering a meal which has 2 courses, it seems to have nice story, nice music, but the entire dinner looks like they've not spent half as much time or effort into creating a fine dining experience, the meal will no doubt be decent but you go in there pretty much assured that the lacking portions of the experience will be reflected in the price, but the bill arrives, it's 50 per person, do you not feel as you walk away or as you leave your review online that you will feel as though you have to mention "nice experience, but pricing was a bit off" you are still agreeing that the meal was okay but that it wasn't priced how you felt it should have been based on what is being offered.

Think when it comes to the not buying of the game because of the price I wouldn't think of it as "those people can't afford it" but more a case of "I don't support an industry just charging $60 for a game which is not directly comparable with something like skyrim/botw" We get games which are amazing like Sonic mania on the Switch right, it is pretty much the peak of 2d sonic games and one of the best platforming games I've played in decades, but the price... is $20 had that same game launched at $60 I'm sure some might have paid for it, the game is arguably worth that cost (I got the dlc for it not really to play it, but more to give the devs another $5 for creating such a beautiful game) but while it was great, I would have been annoyed had they released that game in 2018 as a $60 title, because those games just don't have the same development cycle as a Skyrim, GTA5 or a BoTW.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I'd always believed that the price of a game is mostly based on the perceived demand for the title.

If a $60 dollars game is in high demand and selling well, isn't it pointless to argue about development costs and what not?

Now talking about graphics, i believe that we reached a point where a game can look as close to it's original design intent as possible.

You want a Adventure game looking photorealistic? 

There's Uncharted 4 for you!

What about a whole South Park episode where you can play as a RPG that looks EXACTLY like the show? 

South Park: Stick of Truth, Baby!

Wait, you want a pixelated 2D platformer with great controls and a outstanding soundtrack that reminds your childhood?

Shovel Knight.. Bum..

Octopath Traveller looks great for what it is trying to achieve with its visuals IMO. There's little room to improve it without shifting to a whole different game philosophy on the graphics. :p (again, that's  only the way i see it)