By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

Maybe its their plan. To protect their valuable income from other third parties and others (Amazon, Google, Tencent, Embracers etc) buying them and potentially locking them out. I mean it wouldn't be a bad thing if Sony and Microsoft kept their recently acquired studios IP's (current and future) multiplat between them.

Also they have a high profile studio now that has a lot of experience in making successful FPS's so if it all goes down with CoD they have something to fall back on.

Around the Network

Not a fan of Bungie purchase. But it seems like Sony put almost 4B in the purchase just to be sure they don't lose the content. And regarding this being an answer to MS, that is not precise, because these talks takes several months if not years to happen, at most the only answering to MS came to they perhaps closing the deal a little faster or agreeing to announce it a little faster.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Anyone think Sony would go for CDPR?

With the disaster of Cyberpunk, and CDPR stock falling, I could see Sony buying them at a "discount." They would fill their WRPG hole, would have a massive multimedia franchise like The Witcher, & have a PC storefront in GOG. Its risky but it would pay off tremendously if Sony nursed them back to health. And to be honest, its not like CDPR is a untalented studio, the guidance and support of SIE could do wonders for them, especially when it comes to optimization/technical issues, which is the main problem with Cyberpunk.

That would be an interesting get. I don't want the industry to keep consolidating, but if Sony does need to keep acquiring before MS buys up the whole industry, I'd love for Sony to have access to Konami's IP catalog.

PotentHerbs said:

With the disaster of Cyberpunk, and CDPR stock falling, I could see Sony buying them at a "discount." They would fill their WRPG hole, would have a massive multimedia franchise like The Witcher, & have a PC storefront in GOG. Its risky but it would pay off tremendously if Sony nursed them back to health. And to be honest, its not like CDPR is a untalented studio, the guidance and support of SIE could do wonders for them, especially when it comes to optimization/technical issues, which is the main problem with Cyberpunk.

That is quite the possible outcoming. Not a big publisher but one that is well recognized.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

That is quite the possible outcoming. Not a big publisher but one that is well recognized.

I think Sony will go for a publisher as well. I can see Playstation getting around 15B+ of the midrange budget, maybe even 20B+ if Sony decides to allocate more funds to invest. 

BasilZero said:

Between Witcher and Cyberpunk, they are literally bleeding money due to GOG.

I dont think it'll be worth it in the long run.

I can see some random EU company buying them off similar to what happened to SNK with its foreign acquisition.

Out of curiosity why is GOG bleeding money? I thought it would be a reliable income stream.

Although I disagree about CDPR in the long run. The pay off would be tremendous if SIE can rehab them. 

PotentHerbs said:
DonFerrari said:

I think Sony will go for a publisher as well. I can see Playstation getting around 15B+ of the midrange budget, maybe even 20B+ if Sony decides to allocate more funds to invest. 

If SNY had the means to acquire Take Two, for say, $25 to $30 billion, however they would pay for it, would that be a better or worse buy than CDPR?

CDPR would be quite a bit more risky, though cheaper. TT would be more solid, but far more expensive.

Based on what the plan is supposedly for Bungie, TT would fit that same formula nicely.

Depends on whether or not Bungie was a one off or a new branch out.

BasilZero said:
PotentHerbs said:

Between Witcher and Cyberpunk, they are literally bleeding money due to GOG.

I dont think it'll be worth it in the long run.

I can see some random EU company buying them off similar to what happened to SNK with its foreign acquisition.

That is exactly why it is worthy, if they do a good forecast of the loss of value and make an enticing proposition

EricHiggin said:

If SNY had the means to acquire Take Two, for say, $25 to $30 billion, however they would pay for it, would that be a better or worse buy than CDPR?

CDPR would be quite a bit more risky, though cheaper. TT would be more solid, but far more expensive.

Based on what the plan is supposedly for Bungie, TT would fit that same formula nicely.

Depends on whether or not Bungie was a one off or a new branch out.

It would 100% be a better buy than CDPR despite the cost. Take Two would singlehandedly counter the Activision Blizzard purchase. On top of that, it fills a lot of boxes for SIE, with their IP, live service games, and mobile publishing.

It's the one acquisition that Sony would be willing to go all in for, IMO.