By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PlayStation Nation | an HBO original

DonFerrari said:
Probably because it doesn't have RT so it doesn't have the same delta as in SM, where going for performance mode you lose RT, refined lighting, VFX all at once with the resolution being just another hit. On Demon's Souls the trade-off is possibly only a small loss in resolution (that is mostly covered by temporal reconstruction techniques), so the trade makes a lot more sense to go 60fps (probably that was their focus since for that game people would value 60fps a lot more).

No doubt that RT is the differentiator. But again, I'd rather have a lower resolution at e.g. 1080p if that enables 60fps and ray tracing simultaneously. That'd also make a lot of sense for all the people gaming on 1440p displays as currently they don't benefit much from resolutions higher than 1080p.

The good thing is that there's speculation that this is exactly what Insomniac is planning to implement.

Around the Network

With PS5 having launched in New Zealand, here’s a recap from the last few weeks.

Console
PS5 cold-boots many next-gen games in under 10 seconds (link)
PS5 runs quiet and cool so the jet engine days are over (link)
PS5 is easy to access for repairment or customization (link)
PS5 offers hardware accelerated ray tracing, 4K 120Hz, Wi-Fi 6, and Bluetooth 5.1 (link)

DualSense
Praised as a game changer and the only next-gen controller (link)
Has nearly twice the battery capacity of the original DualShock 4 (link)
Haptic feedback and adaptive triggers will see strong support (link)
Works with PC, Android, and iOS out of the box (link)

Game Lineup
Astro’s Playroom (82 MC) might be the best pack-in game since Wii Sports (link)
Miles Morales (85 MC) has the most ambitious implementation of ray tracing (link)
Demon’s Souls is the best looking next-gen game and one of the best launch titles ever (link)
Gran Turismo 7, R&C: Rift Apart, Horizon Forbidden West, Returnal all slated for 2021 (link)
PS Plus Collection now includes 20 games free for all current subscribers (link)
Bugsnax and Destruction AllStars will be free with PS Plus when they launch (link)

Free PS5 upgrades and BC
Over 40 PS4 games will include PS5 upgrades for free (link)
Nearly all 4,000+ PS4 games will be playable on PS5 via BC (link)
Many of the BC PS4 games will be enhanced via Boost Mode (link)

Interface (link)
Activity Cards will quick boot games using checkpoints and game modes (link)
Activity Cards will offer individual trophy progress tracking
Game Help will offer hints to clear a level or unlock a certain trophy
Picture-in-picture mode let’s you see your friend’s screen while playing
PlayStation Store will now be part of the OS and not a separate app

Other features
PS5 download speeds have been improved immensely (link)
PS5 will show Playtime for PS5 and PS4 games (link)
PS5 adds wishlists to PS Store (link)
PS5 will support Game Sharing (link)
PS5 will support Game Presets (link)
PS5 can be remote played on PS4 (link)
PS4 saves will be transferable to PS5 via Cloud Storage, Wi-Fi or USB (link)

Hinted features
PS5 1440p support will be added if there’s demand (link)
PS5 UI might get customization elements in the future (link)
PS5 will be updated to allow PS5 games to be stored on a USB drive (link)

Last edited by Replicant - on 11 November 2020

Replicant said:
DonFerrari said:
Probably because it doesn't have RT so it doesn't have the same delta as in SM, where going for performance mode you lose RT, refined lighting, VFX all at once with the resolution being just another hit. On Demon's Souls the trade-off is possibly only a small loss in resolution (that is mostly covered by temporal reconstruction techniques), so the trade makes a lot more sense to go 60fps (probably that was their focus since for that game people would value 60fps a lot more).

No doubt that RT is the differentiator. But again, I'd rather have a lower resolution at e.g. 1080p if that enables 60fps and ray tracing simultaneously. That'd also make a lot of sense for all the people gaming on 1440p displays as currently they don't benefit much from resolutions higher than 1080p.

The good thing is that there's speculation that this is exactly what Insomniac is planning to implement.

Yep, a middle ground that would mean another toggle on the choices is good for the ones that want a little of both.

On the news summary, I'm so glad they are going to put a tracker on the trophies, because some are so long to get and you don't know if you are doing the right thing that a tracker is great. I do miss some PS3 games that had internal tracker of trophies (you gone to the tab on the game and it would show how much of each requirement you had done already). I think that is something Xbox have since X360 isn't it?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

@DonFerrari I remember tracking some achievements on 360 but I think that was from the in-game menu. It was always up to each developer if they wanted to support it which will also be the case on PS5.

Replicant said:

@DonFerrari I remember tracking some achievements on 360 but I think that was from the in-game menu. It was always up to each developer if they wanted to support it which will also be the case on PS5.

May be fuzzy memory since I played very little on X360, but I remember on GoW when you gone on the achievements (in X360 menu, not in the game) and selected the achievement it would show like 100/1000 kills or something similar on that achievement, so you knew your progress on it. But you are right, could have been inside the game just as those few PS3 titles that also had it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
May be fuzzy memory since I played very little on X360, but I remember on GoW when you gone on the achievements (in X360 menu, not in the game) and selected the achievement it would show like 100/1000 kills or something similar on that achievement, so you knew your progress on it. But you are right, could have been inside the game just as those few PS3 titles that also had it.

Bold: I think you're right actually. As far as I remember, it wasn't widely supported by 3rd parties though. Hopefully that'll change with activity cards.

Replicant said:

With PS5 having launched in New Zealand, here’s a recap from the last few weeks.

Console
PS5 cold-boots many next-gen games in under 10 seconds (link)
PS5 runs quiet and cool so the jet engine days are over (link)
PS5 is easy to access for repairment or customization (link)
PS5 offers hardware accelerated ray tracing, 4K 120Hz, Wi-Fi 6, and Bluetooth 5.1 (link)

DualSense
Praised as a game changer and the only next-gen controller (link)
Has nearly twice the battery capacity of the original DualShock 4 (link)
Haptic feedback and adaptive triggers will see strong support (link)
Works with PC, Android, and iOS out of the box (link)

Game Lineup
Astro’s Playroom (82 MC) might be the best pack-in game since Wii Sports (link)
Miles Morales (85 MC) has the most ambitious implementation of ray tracing (link)
Demon’s Souls is the best looking next-gen game and one of the best launch titles ever (link)
Gran Turismo 7, R&C: Rift Apart, Horizon Forbidden West, Returnal all slated for 2021 (link)
PS Plus Collection now includes 20 games free for all current subscribers (link)
Bugsnax and Destruction AllStars will be free with PS Plus when they launch (link)

Free PS5 upgrades and BC
Over 40 PS4 games will include PS5 upgrades for free (link)
Nearly all 4,000+ PS4 games will be playable on PS5 via BC (link)
Many of the BC PS4 games will be enhanced via Boost Mode (link)

Interface (link)
Activity Cards will quick boot games using checkpoints and game modes (link)
Activity Cards will offer individual trophy progress tracking
Game Help will offer hints to clear a level or unlock a certain trophy
Picture-in-picture mode let’s you see your friend’s screen while playing
PlayStation Store will now be part of the OS and not a separate app

Other features
PS5 download speeds have been improved immensely (link)
PS5 will show Playtime for PS5 and PS4 games (link)
PS5 adds wishlists to PS Store (link)
PS5 will support Game Sharing (link)
PS5 will support Game Presets (link)
PS5 can be remote played on PS4 (link)
PS4 saves will be transferable to PS5 via Cloud Storage, Wi-Fi or USB (link)

Hinted features
PS5 1440p support will be added if there’s demand (link)
PS5 UI might get customization elements in the future (link)
PS5 will be updated to allow PS5 games to be stored on a USB drive (link)

Wishlisting on PS5 is no longer just strongly hinted but is now confirmed (link).

Last edited by Replicant - on 11 November 2020

PS5 has launched in New Zealand.

CoD Cold War isn't on my radar but this seems promising.
"DualSense haptics is tuned individually for every weapon in Black Ops Cold War" (link).

Replicant said:
Runa216 said:
I think going into this gen I'm gonna refine my tastes a bit. Less frivilous spending, more quality collectibles. on the Ps4 I bought a lot of games physical and digital, so I can see myself doing that this time, but instead of having 100+ games, I'll probably have 50 total. I'll probably also avoid stuff that doesn't have its own unique identity or brings something new to the table or is elevated. No stuff like Ghost Recon or For Honour. No Assassin's Creed or Watch Dogs or Call of Duty or Battlefield. No Destiny, nothing that's just generic tripe.

Same for me. Even though I mained 360 during the first half of last gen, in just those remaining 3-4 years I still ended up with many PS3 games especially from EA and Ubisoft that I never even opened. So on PS4 I haven't bought a single Battlefield, Call of Duty, and my only PS4 games from Ubisoft are Assassin's Creed 4 and Watch Dogs (both bought at launch).

I think Valhalla looks interesting but that may be because I tend to be more lenient towards launch games and because I live in Norway and I'm biased in favor of its setting. To me, Assasin's Creed, For Honor, Watch Dogs, The Division, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Far Cry all feel too samey in gameplay and mechanics. I guess that's the downside to a publisher having all its studios work as 1 organism instead of having individual studios with unique visions and identities.

Runa216 said:
I'll likely get most or all of them on physical and digital.

That'll be expensive buying most games twice. I reckon the physical is for collecting purposes and the digital is for convenience?

Yeah, lemme check something in my PS4 game list right now: 14 games still in their packaging, many of which the generic ubisoft games (Ghost Recon, For Honour, etc). Plus another 10 or so I never played. Of my 110 games, I never finished 50 of them enough to claim to have a final score on them. Some of those games I WILL beat (I still have yet to beat stuff like FFVII Remake, Horizon, Spider-Man, and a few others I'm very interested in like Nier Automata), but I'd say there are probably 30 games I bought that I either never opened or never played and will never play. I'd rather have wasted that money on the other versions of the game. I'd rather do, as you said, and have the physical stuff so I have a proper collection and digital for convenience.

Of my 110 games, 23 of them I have boh physically and digitally, and another 12 or so are games I got on PS+ so I have a digital copy I didn't pay for despite having physical copies (Like Rayman Legends and Ratchet & Clank and The Last of Us and The Last Guardian and TitanFall 2)

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android