By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Canadian Nintendo Switch Price Drop To CND$ 379.99 Now In Place

Nuvendil said:
SKMBlake said:
In France, it's already sold 10-20€ less rhan it was originaly sold

Given the launch MSRP was freaking 329 euros - which comes out to $388 - that's not too surprising.

That's compensating the 20% sales tax, which needs to be included in the price, by EU law.

The Euro was low, last year, and rose since then, which explains the dropped sales price.

All considered, the price in France and the US has been pretty much identical, so far.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Around the Network
palou said:
Nuvendil said:

Given the launch MSRP was freaking 329 euros - which comes out to $388 - that's not too surprising.

That's compensating the 20% sales tax, which needs to be included in the price, by EU law.

The Euro was low, last year, and rose since then, which explains the dropped sales price.

All considered, the price in France and the US has been pretty much identical, so far.

Ah that explains the discrepancy 

CaptainExplosion said:
abronn627 said:
Seems more of a price adjustment based on currency. CAD$ have been in the range of 0,80$ for some time now.

I still find it infuriating, and wish our dollar's value was at least the same as $1 USD.

I don't see that ever happening again, and if it did you can be almost sure that the prices of products aren't going to be matched up 1:1 because it'd probably not last long enough to do so.

VGPolyglot said:
CaptainExplosion said:

I still find it infuriating, and wish our dollar's value was at least the same as $1 USD.

I don't see that ever happening again, and if it did you can be almost sure that the prices of products aren't going to be matched up 1:1 because it'd probably not last long enough to do so.

in 2011 and 2012 the canadian dollar actually valued more than the US dollar, but even then, even for two years the price were not on par with US price. we did saw a price cut after 6 or 7 month, but not equal prices. 

actually right now the canadian dollar is not performing well enough to justify that price cut, so i'm not sure why they done it

that translates to $288.98 US if anyone was wondering

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
VGPolyglot said:

We can always find a way to make it work.

The only way to guarantee parity is by adopting the US dollar, but that could lead to pretty disastrous results in and of itself.

Nuvendil said:
CaptainExplosion said:

You got it right. $299 was the US launch price, it was $399 in Canada.

I was talking about the European Union launch price which is listed as being 329 euros.  

Both of you are correct

Nintendo didn't release an MSRP for Europe, leaving the pricing to retailers. Most of them chose to up the price to 329€, but a select few sold the console at a cheaper price (319 or 299€ in most cases). So depending on where and into which shop you went, you could see different prices in Europe. Since the holiday season however, almost all have since put the price to 299€ or it's equivalent in non-Eurozone countries.

Weird thread with no research. It's not "permanent", just a sale price for 2 weeks. Best Buy has the end date listed as July 20th.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/nintendo-switch-nintendo-switch-console-with-neon-red-blue-joy-con-misc/10381162.aspx?

Blood_Tears said:
Weird thread with no research. It's not "permanent", just a sale price for 2 weeks. Best Buy has the end date listed as July 20th.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/nintendo-switch-nintendo-switch-console-with-neon-red-blue-joy-con-misc/10381162.aspx?

My bad, from at the time from what I heard I didn't hear anything about a time limit.