By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bethesda planing more games for the Switch, but Fallout 4 is not one of them

I want a Morrowind remake.

Around the Network

Could you imagine if they let Bethesda do a Star Tropics game for the Switch(They would license the IP to them) in order to solidify and improve the relationship betwenn them?That would be awesome.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Miyamotoo said:
Pemalite said:

They pretty much ported Skyrim to every platform known to man.

It is kind of surprising Fallout 3/New Vegas/Oblivion hasn't received the same treatment... But then again, they have aged extremely poorly, visually I guess.
Same with Morrowind.

Fallout 3/New Vegas/Oblivion would still look OK in 1080p and not that difrent compared to Fallout 4 and Skyrim, but Morrowind is totally different story.

Oh... I beg to differ. I have them all on PC.

Nuvendil said:
Pemalite said:

They pretty much ported Skyrim to every platform known to man.

It is kind of surprising Fallout 3/New Vegas/Oblivion hasn't received the same treatment... But then again, they have aged extremely poorly, visually I guess.
Same with Morrowind.

Yeah, that's the main thing.  Skyrim holds up decently well with new textures and lighting and such.  Oblivion...no, it would need far more.  Aside from engine stability and optimization, it would need a ridiculous ammount of new geometry.  The trees use billboards for goodness sake, that hasn't been an industry standard for folliage for the better part of a decade.  And of course the character models scream early 7th gen struggles.

It was great tech for the time, but the sprite based distant trees just hasn't aged well, it's a pretty blurry mess.
Speed Tree does have it's limitations sadly... Although more modern implementations doesn't seem to stand out as much.

Miyamotoo said:
Nuvendil said:

Yeah, that's the main thing.  Skyrim holds up decently well with new textures and lighting and such.  Oblivion...no, it would need far more.  Aside from engine stability and optimization, it would need a ridiculous ammount of new geometry.  The trees use billboards for goodness sake, that hasn't been an industry standard for folliage for the better part of a decade.  And of course the character models scream early 7th gen struggles.

It could be done something similar like it was done for Skyrim remastered, higher resolution, better lightning, better AA/AF solution that gave crispier textures...and Fallout 3 wouldnt definitely look that much different than Skyrim remaster.

Oblvion is 2-3 years older game than Fallout 3, but despite that Oblivion looks OK on Xbox X that actualy just upscale game and its not full remaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh8mRYHQp6g

It needs allot more than that, PC has been pushing higher AA, AF, Framerates and Resolution for over a decade, it's not a magic bullet, I also have it on the Xbox One X, I wouldn't say it "looks okay". - It looks better than the 360 version obviously... But nothing to write home about.
I used to be a mod on the Old Oblivion forums... So I have been around this circus for many years. - Game needs an overhaul from top to bottom, preferably on the Creation Engine, the biggest part that needs a touch up is the texturing.

Some parts of the game hold up okay, but anything with longer draw distances simply looks like a dogs breakfast.

The great thing about Morrowind though... Is because of the fog in that game... It managed to hide allot of that.

pokoko said:

New Vegas looks ... okay.  It's mostly rock, anyway.  Fallout 3 looks nowhere close to Fallout 4.  Fallout 3 would need a LOT of work if they moved it to current platforms, not just visually, but internally.  It just does not hold up very well.  However, I do think a rebuild would make enough money to justify the expense.  The problem would be having enough resources to spare while working on several other games.

To me even the rocks look like a blurry mess. And the abuse of Bloom doesn't help things.
It is what it is obviously.

It doesn't have to be a rebuild, just port the game over to the Creation Engine (Which shouldn't be difficult, it has allot of commonality with Gamebryo anyway!) with it's superior lighting and shader models and enhance the texturing.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Well that IOS Elder Scrolls game is probably coming...

Pemalite said:
Miyamotoo said:

Fallout 3/New Vegas/Oblivion would still look OK in 1080p and not that difrent compared to Fallout 4 and Skyrim, but Morrowind is totally different story.

Oh... I beg to differ. I have them all on PC.

Nuvendil said:

It was great tech for the time, but the sprite based distant trees just hasn't aged well, it's a pretty blurry mess.
Speed Tree does have it's limitations sadly... Although more modern implementations doesn't seem to stand out as much.

Miyamotoo said:

It could be done something similar like it was done for Skyrim remastered, higher resolution, better lightning, better AA/AF solution that gave crispier textures...and Fallout 3 wouldnt definitely look that much different than Skyrim remaster.

Oblvion is 2-3 years older game than Fallout 3, but despite that Oblivion looks OK on Xbox X that actualy just upscale game and its not full remaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh8mRYHQp6g

It needs allot more than that, PC has been pushing higher AA, AF, Framerates and Resolution for over a decade, it's not a magic bullet, I also have it on the Xbox One X, I wouldn't say it "looks okay". - It looks better than the 360 version obviously... But nothing to write home about.
I used to be a mod on the Old Oblivion forums... So I have been around this circus for many years. - Game needs an overhaul from top to bottom, preferably on the Creation Engine, the biggest part that needs a touch up is the texturing.

Some parts of the game hold up okay, but anything with longer draw distances simply looks like a dogs breakfast.

The great thing about Morrowind though... Is because of the fog in that game... It managed to hide allot of that.

pokoko said:

New Vegas looks ... okay.  It's mostly rock, anyway.  Fallout 3 looks nowhere close to Fallout 4.  Fallout 3 would need a LOT of work if they moved it to current platforms, not just visually, but internally.  It just does not hold up very well.  However, I do think a rebuild would make enough money to justify the expense.  The problem would be having enough resources to spare while working on several other games.

To me even the rocks look like a blurry mess. And the abuse of Bloom doesn't help things.
It is what it is obviously.

It doesn't have to be a rebuild, just port the game over to the Creation Engine (Which shouldn't be difficult, it has allot of commonality with Gamebryo anyway!) with it's superior lighting and shader models and enhance the texturing.

I meant the billboards used for the leaf plains.  Oblivion's trees are just trunks and branches.  Billboards are strategically placed hanging off of those to give the illusion of leaf planes.  It keeps the polycount down and back in the day when devs were really struggling to figure out working with these massive polygon counts (funny to think about now with polycounts being way higher) it was an easy way to massively improve vs 6th gen foliage.  But it just looks...off and featureless due to how light plays off of them.  Oblivion utterly lacking true environment shadows helped mask that but in the Creation Engine it would look really bad.  Also, Speedtree is still used but it's changed.  Speedtree is used mostly for simply creating trees through a sort of procedural generation/construction.  A team I work with has and is using it to create trees, far easier than by hand.  But the LOD is quite simplistic.  The biggest issue is the lack of geometric detail in the distance.  Problem is, you can't fix this by simply flagging more meshes to be visible when distant and giving them LOD meshes because the game was not crafted with this in mind.  I've done this with mods before and it IS a big improvement, no doubt, but it doesn't even compare to Skyrim which benefits massively from cliff meshes and the like which help immensely with landscape definition.  Basically, Skyrim's environments are designed to VWD, Oblivion's are not.  As for what holds up, mostly just the architecture and rock meshes.  Those are actually pretty ok.  And the heightmap is pretty good.  Oh and the grass meshes, those actually featured a very healthy number of planes.  Which is why they absolutely *destroyed* performance.

As for porting it to the Creation Engine...well, the problem there is the Creation Engine scrapped Oblivion's scripting language/system *entirely* in favor of the new system, Papyrus.  A lot of Oblivion would need to be completely recreated in the Creation Engine.  Now I totally believe it would be worth it, the more vibrant setting of Oblivion would look FANTASTIC with the enhanced lighting, proper shadows, more robust post-processing pipeline, and the substantial geometric and textural improvements that new tech plus developer experience would bring.  But it's not cake walk.