By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Using "autistic" as a derogatory term; please don't

vivster said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I don't really think that's a reasonable way of looking at it ... not because you're expecting others to be nicer, but because it isn't something that logically should be offensive. It's the same as your momma jokes to people who are fat ... etc etc etc. However, our emotional responses do not have to make sense, and sometimes it is better to acknowledge that people feel uncomfortable from certain things rather than question it. I don't think I've ever used it on here, but I'll be sure to never use it from now on.

It's not really a slur anyway. It's a very popular meme that isn't even meant to be that offensive.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/autistic-screeching

Yeah I didn't get the "slur" part either. I can see how it's offensive to someone with autism but yeah, I don't see it as offensive and I don't think it's meant to be offensive either. Every time I've seen the meme it's making fun of an ambiguous group of people, like Playstation fans: Auti- ... well ... you get my point Curl : - ) 

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
vivster said:

It's not really a slur anyway. It's a very popular meme that isn't even meant to be that offensive.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/autistic-screeching

Yeah I didn't get the "slur" part either. I can see how it's offensive to someone with autism but yeah, I don't see it as offensive and I don't think it's meant to be offensive either. Every time I've seen the meme it's making fun of an ambiguous group of people, like Playstation fans: Auti- ... well ... you get my point Curl : - ) 

Do poor, stupid or fat people get upset when you call other people by those descriptors? What if I called you a woman? Will women get upset? They probably would but that's not the point.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Boy, this is getting annoying. Eventually we'll have no words to express ourselves because they will all be labeled offensive by some group or another. We'll all just talk in grunts. But then certain grunts will be labeled offensive.

thismeintiel said:
Boy, this is getting annoying. Eventually we'll have no words to express ourselves because they will all be labeled offensive by some group or another. We'll all just talk in grunts. But then certain grunts will be labeled offensive.

You flingleflongl Gargledishoop!

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

If we live in a democratic country we should be entitled to voice our opinions. Back in the good old days we used to have freedom and democracy. It now looks like we are living in a dystopian totalitarian world as predicted in  George Orwell's 1984.

Last edited by Dark_Lord_2008 - on 22 June 2018

Around the Network

I hate people calling others "Autistic" as an insult, however posting the "Autistic Screeching" meme doesn't really bother me.

Dark_Lord_2008 said:

If we live in a democratic country we should be entitled to voice our opinions. Back in the good old days we used to have freedom and democracy. It now looks like we are living in a dystopian totalitarian world as predicted in  George Orwell's 1984.

This really has nothing to do with individual opinions, though. It's just lack of consideration for other people's feelings. Words have weight.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

let's also ban the idiotic, and any other word that is supposed to be offend.

Same thing for the word "bad".

Lol someone tried slagging me off on another forum calling me autistic. Imo it's bannable and no different to saying things like you're a retard, you're gay or get cancer. Certain people just have no class.