By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox One at 39.1 million sold as of March 31st 2018 (IHS Markit Research)

quickrick said:

IHS Markit Research is pretty good source from what i hear, makes sense why sony was so conservative in there sales prediction.  IHS Markit also reports 12.8 million Switch units were sold for 2017. They are suppose to best in the business when it comes to estimates, but who knows, we'll have to wait for sony official to see how good they are. 

Well yes but there are posters here who know better than these supposedly reputable paid market researchers whose jobs are all about market analytics.

Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

Around the Network
COKTOE said:

Oh my god. The comments in the linked article. Have some glue in a bag on the ready if you proceed.

Really wish I followed your advice on this one. What a fuckfest.

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Aura7541 said:
It's a bit weird because I thought IHS got their XB1 LTD estimates by the end of 2016 very close. That said, their latest number is too high because that would mean a drastic reduction in the US:WW ratio which is not likely considering (1) what Microsoft said about Xbox hardware sales for Q3 FY2018, (2) the NPD numbers in that same time period, and (3) the vast majority of XB1X units were likely shipped for the US as it launched.

Agreed.  I haven't heard or seen any evidence that XBO sales have suddenly picked up in other countries, which it would have to do more so than in the US, since it is up YOY.  Also, their PS4 estimates are too low.  2.4M consoles on shelves at the end of March?  That's close to the holiday gap between shipped and sold.  VGC has it around 1.5M.  I would think that is more accurate, as it is in line with previous years.

Yeah, no. At least that PS4 figure is wrong, no idea about XBO.

The official global figure for January 1st 2018 is 73.6m and We know from NPD and Mediacreate that Japan+USA = 1.69m for Q1, which would leave just 1.31m for EU+RoW+Rest of NA.

Lifetime the ratio's for these two sets of countries were as follows: (as of January 7th 2018) 

USA + Japan = 39.14% of sales
EU+RoW+Rest of NA = 60.86% of sales

IHS figures, with NPD and Mediacreate would put Q1 ratios as:

USA + Japan = 56.3% of sales
EU+RoW+Rest of NA = 43.7% of sales

That is far too big of a change. So I believe the PS4 figure from IHS is definitely wrong.

quickrick said:

IHS Markit Research is pretty good source from what i hear, makes sense why sony was so conservative in there sales prediction.

What kind of weird logic is this?What do Sony's sales prediction for this fj have to do with this IHS report (most likely they estimated shipped numbers for XBoxes)?

And reading the comments of the article is really a dive into mrxmedia's blog. Amazing how touchy the XBox owners have become...

Around the Network
drkohler said:
quickrick said:

IHS Markit Research is pretty good source from what i hear, makes sense why sony was so conservative in there sales prediction.

What kind of weird logic is this?What do Sony's sales prediction for this fj have to do with this IHS report (most likely they estimated shipped numbers for XBoxes)?

And reading the comments of the article is really a dive into mrxmedia's blog. Amazing how touchy the XBox owners have become...

Had to check it out myself and...LMFAO!!

Sony going bankrupt and Amazon is going to buy them?  I guess they haven't been keeping up with the financial side of Sony since the beginning of the PS3 era.  Oh, and the Fornite thing is going to bring them down, too.  Well, see you next year when the PS4 is hitting 100M+ and the XBO hasn't hit 50M, yet.  Oh boy, my day has been made.

barneystinson69 said:
COKTOE said:

Oh my god. The comments in the linked article. Have some glue in a bag on the ready if you proceed.

Dammit, your post made me feel like I HAD to check it out, just out of curiosity. And man, what a shit show. 

pitzy272 said:
barneystinson69 said:

Dammit, your post made me feel like I HAD to check it out, just out of curiosity. And man, what a shit show. 

XD

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

RolStoppable said:
quickrick said:

IHS Markit Research is pretty good source from what i hear, makes sense why sony was so conservative in there sales prediction.  IHS Markit also reports 12.8 million Switch units were sold for 2017. They are suppose to best in the business when it comes to estimates, but who knows, we'll have to wait for sony official to see how good they are. 

A pretty good source? You must have forgotten that threads about their 12.8m figure for Switch had to be locked thrice because IHS's credibility was in question due to them getting PS4 numbers wrong despite sell-through numbers that were reported by Sony.

The Xbox One estimate that this thread is about doesn't instill confidence in IHS either. They think that the Xbox One sold ~4m units during the first three months of 2018.

nobody know's the true xbox numbers , so how can you know it was at 35 million? the other thread got closed over mainly cause it was me that posted that thread and it was a shit show with people mainly focusing on me instead of the news.  IHS market is traded on nasdaq , its a billion dollar company, what better sources do we have for estimates?

RolStoppable said:
quickrick said:

nobody know's the true xbox numbers , so how can you know it was at 35 million? the other thread got closed over mainly cause it was me that posted that thread and it was a shit show with people mainly focusing on me instead of the news.  IHS market is traded on nasdaq , its a billion dollar company, what better sources do we have for estimates?

ZhugeEX is a better source.

Being a billion dollar company doesn't mean anything when they aren't a billion dollar company due to video game analyses and sales estimates.

Zhugeex is a good source when he uses confirmed numbers, 35 million was just his estimate. for estimates i much rather trust IHS market, but in the end there just estimates you can trust what ever souce you like.