By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - It finally happened...

Nintendo and Hamster actually released the arcade version of Donkey Kong on the Switch today. I've been waiting for years for a legit release of the arcade DK. It's still my favorite arcade game of all time, but all we had was the gimped NES version. Funny how such a simple release can be so awesome, LOL.

Around the Network

A release 30+ years in the making

I saw this but I was confused how to get it. Is it purchasable on the eshop or is it part of their online service?

That's pretty dope. I've actually never played the NES version. Just arcade and ColecoVision.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

SanAndreasX said:

Nintendo and Hamster actually released the arcade version of Donkey Kong on the Switch today. I've been waiting for years for a legit release of the arcade DK. It's still my favorite arcade game of all time, but all we had was the gimped NES version. Funny how such a simple release can be so awesome, LOL.

I'm genuinely excited. Why did this take so long? Lol

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
I saw this but I was confused how to get it. Is it purchasable on the eshop or is it part of their online service?

eShop. It's been released as part of the Arcade Archives series, similar to Mario Bros, VS SMB, and Punch-Out, as part of Hamster's deal with Nintendo.

I purchased tons of games back in the day like this. Pac-Man, Mrs. Pac-Man, Frogger, Dig-Dug... you name it. But what I realized over the years of playing them and not doing very well, is how the input lag negatively affects your ability to play it to the best of your abilities. My favorite game from that era, and the one I'm best at, is Galaga. I owned it on 360 and played the FUCK out of it. I thought I had a really respectable score. Then, I went to Disney World, saw a real Galada cabinet, put ONE quarter in and doubled my score.

I suppose no one really cares, because all they're after is just a relaxing, laid back experience of playing old games but if you care about actually doing well, these emulated versions are awful and not worth owning.

AlfredoTurkey said:

I purchased tons of games back in the day like this. Pac-Man, Mrs. Pac-Man, Frogger, Dig-Dug... you name it. But what I realized over the years of playing them and not doing very well, is how the input lag negatively affects your ability to play it to the best of your abilities. My favorite game from that era, and the one I'm best at, is Galaga. I owned it on 360 and played the FUCK out of it. I thought I had a really respectable score. Then, I went to Disney World, saw a real Galada cabinet, put ONE quarter in and doubled my score.

I suppose no one really cares, because all they're after is just a relaxing, laid back experience of playing old games but if you care about actually doing well, these emulated versions are awful and not worth owning.

Hmm. I'm usually quite sensitive to such things, yet never noticed it in the Namco Collection on PS3, nor on the 360, where I had all the Namco hits individually purchased as well as Frogger, which I didn't repurchase on the PS3. As for not doing well, the top 100 was fairly routine for me. It's all relative though. We're all playing in the same lag filled nightmare.

?

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."