By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Ultimate is not a port... and not a brand new game?

Would you say Smash Ultimate is...

A port 18 14.75%

A brand new game 74 60.66%

A compilation 23 18.85%

Something else 7 5.74%

Total:122
Shaunodon said:
Just cause executives at Nintendo are doing their best to market this as a whole new game, doesn't mean I'm just gonna take their word and not question the validity.
At this point, there's not much more to say until we can actually play the game, and then make a proper comparison to Smash WiiU.

I just find it funny that many the same people who were die-hard about waiting several years, so that we could get a completely new and different Smash cause they were already done with Smash 4, seem to now be very lenient on what they consider new.

*facepalm*

The internet dissapoints me sometimes.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
Alara317 said:
Nem said:

You quoted me and you didn't read a word of my post.

Try reading all of it and you get your answer. It still holds 100%.

It does not. What are you on about? Let's hear examples.

People have given examples, people have given definitions, people have pulled quotes from the creators themselves, but you're choosing to not respond to any of them when you can instead pick apart the few who haven't conformed to your personal standards of proof. 

Respond to me. Respond to the others who have given you precisely what you asked and STILL proved you wrong. Respond to us and see how strong your arguments truly are. 

I was still writing your reply. I will paste it below and answer this one.

READ MY POST! I addressed it all. There are two choices and i so dislike having to repeat myself. I made a clear and extensive post to specifically address this.

2 choices! Either you go with what the marketing tells you or you go and classify the reality in front of you. IF you are gonna go with what the publisher tells you there is NO debate to be had here. It is impossible to classify sequel as anything either than what the publisher tells you it is.

If that's your case is this then it's over. There is nothing to argue, but your definition of sequel wich you linked before is just as false.

Now if you care about reality. Ultimate is obviously not remade from the ground up in the same way a new game is. They mean they retouched all models. It's marketing talk.As he says in the article "significant upgrades". Now, i don't know about you but sequels don't have upgrades, they have a completely new game.

No examples were given btw, because the definitions i gave successfully classify all games.

Alara317 said:

Wrong. 

"sequel is a literature, film, theatre, television, music or video game that continues the story of, or expands upon, some earlier work. ... In many cases, the sequelcontinues elements of the original story, often with the same characters and settings."

So, Smash Ultimate is a Video Game that expands upon the earlier work, and in many cases continues elements of the original often with the same characters and setting. 

Smash Ultimate, sans the story parts (Which have never really been part of smash regardless), is a textbook definition of a sequel. Case closed. 

Don't get ahead of yourself. You didn't think it through.

So... Tales of Graces F continues the story of Tales of Graces. Is it a sequel or is it an enhanced port? Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator continues the story of Xrd SIGN. Is it a sequel? Gran turismo 3 has no story. Is it that none of them is a sequel?

See, that definition was built for movies and television. Like what is a music sequel even?

No, rebuilding from the ground up is the only way i have found to accurately define what a sequel is. And by that i mean actually doing it from the ground up, not what the marketing tells you.

It's a new game.

Nautilus said:
Shaunodon said:
Just cause executives at Nintendo are doing their best to market this as a whole new game, doesn't mean I'm just gonna take their word and not question the validity.
At this point, there's not much more to say until we can actually play the game, and then make a proper comparison to Smash WiiU.

I just find it funny that many the same people who were die-hard about waiting several years, so that we could get a completely new and different Smash cause they were already done with Smash 4, seem to now be very lenient on what they consider new.

*facepalm*

The internet dissapoints me sometimes.

disappoints*

Guys ... seriously? Ugh. I can't believe i'm going to say this, as someone who was adamantly against a port of Smash 4 being released, but this has gone too far. You guys are focusing too much on a title at this point. I've never seen a game before where a discussion about a "new game" or a "updated port" has been so much based around semantics and not actual legitimate discussion.

Why don't we just evaluate the worth of the game as a game. Let's see how much ORIGINAL, NEW content is provided. And if it's not enough for you? So be it. If it is? Great for you then. Don't get caught up so much in a title. When I was against a port coming to Switch, it was only with the context of what most ports (yes, even upgraded ports) entail. Now, this game has shown me quite a few extra goodies, and I'm willing to ride it out and see what the game has to offer before seeing if it's worth it for me or not. Is that really so hard?

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Guys ... seriously? Ugh. I can't believe i'm going to say this, as someone who was adamantly against a port of Smash 4 being released, but this has gone too far. You guys are focusing too much on a title at this point. I've never seen a game before where a discussion about a "new game" or a "updated port" has been so much based around semantics and not actual legitimate discussion.

Why don't we just evaluate the worth of the game as a game. Let's see how much ORIGINAL, NEW content is provided. And if it's not enough for you? So be it. If it is? Great for you then. Don't get caught up so much in a title. When I was against a port coming to Switch, it was only with the context of what most ports (yes, even upgraded ports) entail. Now, this game has shown me quite a few extra goodies, and I'm willing to ride it out and see what the game has to offer before seeing if it's worth it for me or not. Is that really so hard?

Fair enough.

I always thought an upgraged port was ideal so they could release it early as possible, but I didn't think they could get as much done as they have, so I'm more than satisfied.

New game. The end.

This is a dumb debate. I just glanced over this thread and saw 'engine' mentioned a couple times. As if games never used a predecessor's engine before. There's series out there that recycle engines for generations. I looks like a new game (and I don't solely mean graphically), it's presented as a new game, it's a new game.

Shaunodon said:
mZuzek said:

Oh wow, generalization, now that's something I haven't seen.

Dude, come on. Everyone has their own tastes and expectations and reactions to everything. People also change, and they can go back on things they've said previously because they change their mind on something - I know I was always against Ridley in Smash because I thought it just wouldn't work, yet now I'm super hyped for him.

As for your exact point, I can say I was one who always wanted a new Smash rather than a port, but I wanted the new one to be a natural evolution of Smash 4, and yes, this is exactly what I wanted and then some (in fact it is very much what 99% of Smash 4 players wanted).

At least everyone's getting what they wanted then.
I'm certainly impressed they managed to do so much in the timeframe they had, and then have it ready for release this year.

It hasn't had any less development time than any other smash game. Most smash games have had roughly 2-2.5 years development.

mZuzek said:

A port.

Wow ... that looks significantly better than the Wii U game!

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 14 June 2018

mZuzek said:

A port.

You should get a picture of the smash 4 version as well. Just to show how different they are.