By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Ultimate is not a port... and not a brand new game?

Would you say Smash Ultimate is...

A port 18 14.75%

A brand new game 74 60.66%

A compilation 23 18.85%

Something else 7 5.74%

Total:122
Lonely_Dolphin said:
mZuzek said:

That's because there were also 26% saying it's a "compilation" or "something else", which has absolutely nothing to do with it being a new game or not. So there's roughly only 14% people saying it's a port, and that's including all the salty folks who are hating on this because it took centerstage in Nintendo's presentation at the cost of everything else.

Edit: of course, it also means 14% of the people here are wrong. There's no two ways about this. Smash Ultimate is a new game.

It has everything to do with it, they didn't vote new game. I voted something else as I don't see a new game, I don't see a port, and it's not just a compilation.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/nintendo-smash-bros-ultimate-interview-brand-new-game-than-wii-u

/Thread

Around the Network
Alara317 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
It has everything to do with it, they didn't vote new game. I voted something else as I don't see a new game, I don't see a port, and it's not just a compilation.

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/nintendo-smash-bros-ultimate-interview-brand-new-game-than-wii-u

/Thread

Hopefully an end to this waste of a debate. But knowing people, their opinion on this matter is more worth than the facts. 

So, just let it end here. Debate is over. I'm all in for locking this thread now. 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Alara317 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

/Thread

You think I didn't see this or something? Infact I thought they were saying this from the get go. I didn't comment on it because it's irrelevant. For one Nintendo isn't gospel, they also said Yoshi and Fire Emblem were 2018. More importantly what anyone says matters not. We can all see the game, and what we see cannot be changed with words.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Alara317 said:

/Thread

You think I didn't see this or something? Infact I thought they were saying this from the get go. I didn't comment on it because it's irrelevant. For one Nintendo isn't gospel, they also said Yoshi and Fire Emblem were 2018. More importantly what anyone says matters not. We can all see the game, and what we see cannot be changed with words.

Dictating when a game comes out/is delayed isn't comparable to the developers saying if a game they made is a new game or not, lol. Delays happen, deciding if the game is new or not is decided from the get go.

I'd rather take Nintendo's word for it that people on a forum who have never worked a day at Nintendo's headquarters. The lighting engine is new, new characters, new moves, new stages (rebuilt stages), new models, and so on. It's not named Smash 4 Ultimate, or Smash 4 Deluxe, it's a new title. 

From here, we either believe Nintendo...the ones who made the game, or...with no disrespect, random people on the internet. And again, I don't think that those who are saying it's a port, know what a "port" means in the sense of game development.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 14 June 2018

Ljink96 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Dictating when a game comes out/is delayed isn't comparable to the developers saying if a game they made is a new game or not, lol. Delays happen, deciding if the game is new or not is decided from the get go.

I'd rather take Nintendo's word for it that people on a forum who have never worked a day at Nintendo's headquarters. The lighting engine is new, new characters, new moves, new stages (rebuilt stages), new models, and so on. It's not named Smash 4 Ultimate, or Smash 4 Deluxe, it's a new title. 

From here, we either believe Nintendo...the ones who made the game, or...with no disrespect, random people on the internet. And again, I don't think that those who are saying it's a port, know what a "port" means in the sense of game development.

That was just one of many examples. They also claim their online service is worth the wait, that Sticker Star/Color Splash are a new gameplay style/genre, that the Switch is a home console, etc. Taking Nintendo's word for it is fine, but I think thinking for yourself is also fine.

Around the Network
Lonely_Dolphin said:
Alara317 said:

/Thread

IF you honestly believe that 'official statement from the creator' isn't good enough to say it's a whole new game, then you are beyond discussion. You are remaining willfully ignorant of the facts and twisting logic to suit your needs, and therefore can be henceforth ignored and disregarded. 

This is not an attack, this is not an insult, but you are wrong, we've proven you wrong, and your willingness to remain wrong in the face of irrefutable fact is damning. 

Alara317 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

IF you honestly believe that 'official statement from the creator' isn't good enough to say it's a whole new game, then you are beyond discussion. You are remaining willfully ignorant of the facts and twisting logic to suit your needs, and therefore can be henceforth ignored and disregarded. 

This is not an attack, this is not an insult, but you are wrong, we've proven you wrong, and your willingness to remain wrong in the face of irrefutable fact is damning. 

"IF you honestly believe that 'the game itself' isn't good enough to say it's not a whole new game, then you are beyond discussion. You are remaining willfully ignorant of the facts and twisting logic to suit your needs, and therefore can be henceforth ignored and disregarded.

This is not an attack, this is not an insult, but you are wrong, we've proven you wrong, and your willingness to remain wrong in the face of irrefutable fact is damning."

Just showing how pointless post like these are, as is the argument as a whole.

Kai_Mao said:

quickrick said:

fighters and stages are all from the previous games from what i understand. 

Ultimate has 3 new characters so far (if you count Daisy, being a new echo fighter) and 5 new stages so far (New Donk City is noted in Mario’s montage and I count the new Battlefield and Final Destination as new stages).

thats pretty much nothing though for a new entry but in the end, if nintendo calls it a sequel, its a sequel, even if it does look like a port.

mZuzek said:

Just be done with this shitty thread already.

The game has a new name, a new logo, a new engine, new mechanics, new graphics, new artwork, new characters, new moves for old characters, new stages, new changes to old stages, new features, new UI, new music, new items, new assist trophies, and more. There is literally nothing about it that makes it any less of a sequel than previous Smash games.

is this confirmed?

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Alara317 said:

"IF you honestly believe that 'the game itself' isn't good enough to say it's not a whole new game, then you are beyond discussion. You are remaining willfully ignorant of the facts and twisting logic to suit your needs, and therefore can be henceforth ignored and disregarded.  This is not an attack, this is not an insult, but you are wrong, we've proven you wrong, and your willingness to remain wrong in the face of irrefutable fact is damning." Just showing how pointless post like these are, as is the argument as a whole.

Nope. We're done here. I'm not even going to read what you wrote, I'm just leaving a comment here to let you know that I saw your response and I am rejecting it based solely on your apparent lack of interest in the facts.