By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Smash Ultimate is not a port... and not a brand new game?

Would you say Smash Ultimate is...

A port 18 14.75%

A brand new game 74 60.66%

A compilation 23 18.85%

Something else 7 5.74%

Total:122
Nuvendil said:
spemanig said:

No reason to keep making new games instead of just perpetually updating this one with new mechanics/content. It’s already effectively perfect. Good things should end and make room for new things. Smash is a good thing.

I disagree.  I believe this is a new game mind, but the graphical leap was small here due to the lesser gap between Wii U and Switch vs Wii and Wii U.  But if Switch 2 is a late 2023 device or sometime around then, the leap in tech could be truly impressive and allow Smash 6 to look much better.  While I spot a lot of welcome improvements with Ultimate, there's a LOT more they could do.  I do think getting Smash out now will allow for a nice long gap though.  

Agree to disagree

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

By the way, here's a video everyone on this thread should watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IQzO8mSnnc

That was funny.

curl-6 said:
quickrick said:

its like a street fighter 2 to super street fighter 2 upgrade at best, it looks slightly better. we'll wait for Digital Foundry on this one.

It's Splatoon 2 all over again; people swore up and down that that game looked the same as Splatoon 1, they were wrong then and they're wrong now.

"The changes from Smash 4 to Ultimate are similar in nature to Street Fighter II to Street Fighter II Turbo. More fighters/stages/better engine/different balancing. Remember, that transition was accompanied by a change in arcade hardware too. I mean, I guess you can consider SFII Turbo to be a sequel to SFII, and if you really dig deep enough, you'd have a compelling argument. But there is still a ton of recycled stuff there.

Splatoon 2, on the other hand, truly is an entirely different game and contains an entirely different story mode, entirely different stages, entirely different gameplay, etc. It's not just a bunch of tweaks and additions. It's far more substantial in terms of difference. splatoon 2 aslo has a resolution difference 720p vs 870p-900p so thats a nice  difference right there alone. 

quickrick said:
curl-6 said:

It's Splatoon 2 all over again; people swore up and down that that game looked the same as Splatoon 1, they were wrong then and they're wrong now.

"The changes from Smash 4 to Ultimate are similar in nature to Street Fighter II to Street Fighter II Turbo. More fighters/stages/better engine/different balancing. Remember, that transition was accompanied by a change in arcade hardware too. I mean, I guess you can consider SFII Turbo to be a sequel to SFII, and if you really dig deep enough, you'd have a compelling argument. But there is still a ton of recycled stuff there.

Splatoon 2, on the other hand, truly is an entirely different game and contains an entirely different story mode, entirely different stages, entirely different gameplay, etc. It's not just a bunch of tweaks and additions. It's far more substantial in terms of difference. splatoon 2 aslo has a resolution difference 720p vs 870p-900p so thats a nice  difference right there alone. 

Smash Ultimate is a full sequel by every criteria of previous Smash entries; overhauled gameplay, new content, updated graphics. It's no more a port of 4 than Brawl is a port of Melee. The series has always built upon the foundation of its predecessor, just like most sequels in the industry do. It is simply not the same game as 4, not in graphics, not in gameplay, not in content.

curl-6 said:
quickrick said:

Smash Ultimate is a full sequel by every criteria of previous Smash entries; overhauled gameplay, new content, updated graphics. It's no more a port of 4 than Brawl is a port of Melee. The series has always built upon the foundation of its predecessor, just like most sequels in the industry do. It is simply not the same game as 4, not in graphics, not in gameplay, not in content.

I know, right? 

I can list off so many things that are fundamentally different than its predecessor, and we haven't even been told anything about singleplayer modes (if there are any), a smash run or smash tour equivalent, trophies or achievements, or any of the various ways we'll be unlocking characters. 

The very fact that we have to unlock characters again is a testament to how different this game is. 

At this point, we don't actually know MUCH about the game outside of the roster and stages (As well as some gameplay tweaks and character changes.) Until we know more we can't even start to call this a port. If, by some crazy chance we end up with smash run and smash tour again like in WiiU/3DS as well as all the exact same game modes and unlockable trophiees, I may concede a single point in calling this a port. as of right now, it has way too many changes from the prior entry and too many improvements to be seen as a port. 

It's just not a port. IT's just not. 

It's not. 

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
MrWayne said:

Oh...I guess then we're not friends anymore.

You're both outweighed. Around 59% said it's a new game. I don't know why people were even asking if it's a new game or not.

Er yeah, we can see the poll and never said we weren't outweighed. Still that's a good amount of people who also aren't seeing a new game, not that I need that to reinforce my veiwpoint.

Nautilus said:
Its a brand new game.people are just having a knee jerk reaction to it because it dosent look extremely diferent to the Wii U game(due to the Switch power) and because we havent seen everything the game has to offer.

Here is the proof:

https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-on-smash-bros-ultimate-being-a-new-game-sakurais-health-online-more/

I think the game looks vastly superior in almost every way possible. People saying it looks like Smash Wii U must have forgotten how it actually looked. They improved textures, lightning and shadows. They also improved the level of details a lot. Take a look at the comparison:

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

LipeJJ said:
Nautilus said:
Its a brand new game.people are just having a knee jerk reaction to it because it dosent look extremely diferent to the Wii U game(due to the Switch power) and because we havent seen everything the game has to offer.

Here is the proof:

https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-on-smash-bros-ultimate-being-a-new-game-sakurais-health-online-more/

I think the game looks vastly superior in almost every way possible. People saying it looks like Smash Wii U must have forgotten how it actually looked. They improved textures, lightning and shadows. They also improved the level of details a lot. Take a look at the comparison:

https://youtu.be/cbRA1mCbrac?t=1m45s

Same game on different systems.

Last edited by Shaunodon - on 14 June 2018

Shaunodon said:
LipeJJ said:

The difference is clear on the game you posted, but what is your point exactly?

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

LipeJJ said:
Shaunodon said:

The difference is clear on the game you posted, but what is your point exactly?

that just because there are graphical differences doesn't make it a new game.