Forums - Sony Discussion - I'm buying a PS4 Pro, need advice

Which one should I buy?

Original PS4 2 7.69%

PS4 Slim 4 15.38%

PS4 Pro 20 76.92%

Total:26
yvanjean said:
LipeJJ said:

Ok, guys. E3 was kind of meh, but strangely enough it convinced me to buy a PS4 Pro.

I sold my original PS4 (with P.T. demo) early last year as I thought no (or few) game(s) that interested me would come out for the rest of the gen. But it seems like PS5 and "Scarlet" are late 2020 releases, and many games that interest me are popping up.

The absolute must buys for me will be Spiderman, Ghost of Tsushima and Kingdom Hearts III (the whole trilogy to be honest). There's also RE7 and RE2 that look amazing. I hear Nier Automata is awesome as well, so I'm interested.

So I wanted to ask a few questions about PS4 Pro:

1- Is the difference noticiable if you don't own a 4K TV? (I plan on buying a good one, but this will only happen early next year)

2- I heard there is a way to configure settings like performance (fps) and resolution. Do all games have this options? Or at least the majority?

3- Is it noisy?

Since the difference in price is not big, I think if I were to buy a PS4 again, it would be the Pro, so I'd like all information I can get. Thank you guys in advance.

EDIT: Which bundle do you guys consider the best? Forgot to ask about that too.

What ever you do don't buy that blue console.

Get a PS4 Pro the newest update take much more advantage of the PS4 Pro even if you only have 1080P tv and the PS4 pro will be an easier sell before the PS5 come out. 

Every one is expecting the PS5 to be fully backward compatible to PS4 so your game library should carry over. 

I want that blue console, though...

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network

PS Quad Pro is worth the investment even without a 4K TV. The tech under the hood is better than the OG PS4.

PS4 (2013) PS4 (2016) PS4 Pro
CPU 1.6GHz 8-core AMD Jaguar 1.6GHz 8-core AMD Jaguar 2.1GHz 8-core AMD Jaguar
GPU 1.84 TFLOP AMD Radeon 1.84 TFLOP AMD Radeon 4.2 TFLOP AMD Radeon
Memory 8GB GDDR5 8GB GDDR5 8GB GDDR5 & 1GB
HDR
Yes Yes Yes
No No Yes
Storage 500GB 500GB & 1TB 1TB
USB 2x USB 3.0 2x USB 3.1 3x USB 3.1
Wi-Fi 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (2.4GHz only) 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi (2.4GHz & 5.0GHz) 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi (2.4GHz & 5.0GHz)
Bluetooth Bluetooth 2.1 Bluetooth 4.0 Bluetooh 4.0
Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 12 June 2018

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Buy the Pro obviously. If you're a gamer and wish to experience PS4 games in the best way possible this shouldn't even be a question. Same with a 4K TV, get one.

If you don't have a 4K TV, you can play all games that give you the choice in 1080p with a smoother frame rate which I presonally prefer (60fps over 4K any time).

Original - Yes.
Slim - Cheap and ugly, No.
Pro - In 2018, no, stupid decision.

LipeJJ said: 

1- Is the difference noticiable if you don't own a 4K TV? (I plan on buying a good one, but this will only happen early next year)

2- I heard there is a way to configure settings like performance (fps) and resolution. Do all games have this options? Or at least the majority?

3- Is it noisy?

Since the difference in price is not big, I think if I were to buy a PS4 again, it would be the Pro, so I'd like all information I can get. Thank you guys in advance.

EDIT: Which bundle do you guys consider the best? Forgot to ask about that too.

1.  The best way to play the Pro is with a HDR 4k tv, but the Ps4 Pro has a supersampling mode for 1080p tv and some games have better graphics and/or performance compared to non pro games.  If you're planning to buy a Ps4, the Pro is the best way to go.  

2.  Some games gives your various options for performance and graphics (example:  FF XV has three game modes:  Graphics, Performance and Stability).  There's also a boost mode in the Pro (improves performance on non-Pro game).

3.  In some game, yes.  I only notice the sound when there's complete silence on the room.

Around the Network

The KH3 limited edition pro of course