By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are We Living In A New Golden Age of Gaming?

I don't know if I'd use "golden age" to describe entertainment right now, and I certainly wouldn't use it to describe gaming. That's because I think gaming has been constantly getting better (sure, there have been some ups and downs. But, the trend line has been very clearly moving up since the late 70s). So, it isn't a golden age. But, it is a great time to be a gamer.

You made essentially all of the points I'd make, so I'll just say this - if I had nothing to do in life except play video games, there is still absolutely no way that I would be able to play even half of the great stuff on the market. This is a great problem to have.

Around the Network

Add Ubisoft to that list you've put with EA and Activision. Oh and Konami as well.

"pretty much everything that's only good on PC" - That's a small list?.

"Are we living in a new golden age of gaming?".

hell naw.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I love Soulsborne games. While we lost Demon's Souls, we got Dark Souls 3, Dark Souls 1&2 in remastered form, Bloodborne, NioH, and Salt and Sanctuary to name a few. So yeah, I'd say this is a new golden age. I daresay it will be looked at with even more fondness than PS2 or SNES in the future.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

I swear to god I feel like there is a thread like this every single week....

And to answer the question: No.

1999-2006 is the golden age of gaming.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

We are living in "The Age of Monetization " . Where people and consumer love to be milked and fool by company. But it's indeed we got to the point where technology is in advance especially in Movie (CGI) and games (advance shader ). But with great achievement comes another problem and challenges. People now are easily spend their money for movie and games because of online payment, and connectivity, but at the same time they will also tend to not carefully and unwisely use their money on something. I would say in general we are living in the age of consumerism.

Around the Network

Nope. There was only one and there can only BE one... the 70's-90's. There's only one golden age.

I’ll be honest, I did not read the OP (too long), but in answer to the thread title... I would say no. Games are prettier then ever, but I feel like previous generations have had better games. Early 360 era was probably when video games were at their peak. Psone era was also very good. The consoles today are obviously much better, but the games just aren’t there...

Hooooly shit. Wow, I haven't seen that much text in a OP in like forever. I also swear we had this same thread like a few weeks ago.

The Golden Age will always be the 90's.

Xxain said:
Hooooly shit. Wow, I haven't seen that much text in a OP in like forever. I also swear we had this same thread like a few weeks ago.

The Golden Age will always be the 90's.

One day it'll be known as that "kind of okay age that the old people won't shut up about".

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Nope. Not too many quality rpgs this gen and even fewer jrpgs.