By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - US Supreme Court: Christian baker does not have to bake 'the gay cake'

I think the ruling is fine. At the end of the day the customer is still the boss because he'll run out of business if people buy elsewhere.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:
HollyGamer said:

Both of you are crying for a problem that are not exist. Read this with your brain (if you have any)  every one have right to choose, have a right  to have business with someone or to sell their product for someone based on their liking and their own choices, either religion, race, ideology etc.   It's not like there is only one baker open in US for God sake. And also it's not life threatening matter or endangered people life. While medical service is different then bakeries, because it's involve life .  It's clearly both of you don't have any logic here.  

The sad part is that I explained several times the logic but clearly if you did not get it back then I don't see how you'd get it now so If I were you I would avoid talking about other people's brains. When you make a bigoted argument in favor of discrimination, speaking of other people's brains is, how shall I put it?  Rather clumsy.

So i would like to question your logic here!  do you think people will die if they are not eating Cake?  LMAO  

Edit: you never explained anything in your previous comment, what i see and everybody see are you push your agenda and your complain, and tried to force your idea on everything. PERIOD 

Last edited by HollyGamer - on 05 June 2018

Maxosaurus-rex said:
CosmicSex said:

The issue isn't about how you feel about someone's lifestyle or your willingness to interact with them.  Its about whether or not business have the right to pick and chose who to server and since the state or region has the right to create their own business laws, they said, you can't deny someone service because they aren't the same religion, color, sex, sexuality... it because they can't decide how to regulate business or protect its citizens if every business plays by their own set of rules. 

You can't see a mixed race couple come in your store and say:  I'm not severing your because I don't believe in mixed race couples.  The law says you have to create that couple the same way you treat all couples.

And finally, if you fail to serve a gay couple the same way as a straight couple because of your religious beliefs. When I was younger I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness and they are hardcore religion haters.  They think every other branch of Christianity is blasphemy and that people who adore the cross, go to church, worship the Pope, believe in Christmas and celebrate birthdays are going to die or be resurrected and killed again.  Welcome to my store, how can I help you?

Cool, thanks for making our point about making your intentions known so that we as consumers can make a conscious decision to support or avoid your business.

BTW, I'm not religious but I wouldn't want to give you any money 

Religious beliefs are like as flexible as the day is long.  This doesn't mean that I publicize my beliefs because that would violate my right to free speech lol (this is too easy).  So, whenever I see a customer I don't like, I just remember I have a religious belief and you are denied service.  That is what laws were protecting against.  

In the course of our conversation, religion may not even come up.  So even if you don't believe in my God, its okay, you get service.  But If the guy behind you is gay, he can be denied because he triggered my religion.   I want to copyright that term:  'Triggered my religion'.   Thats how dumb this is.  It isn't absolute.  Me using 'religious beliefs' as a device to target people wouldn't be the first time it has been done.  

BTW as if there was a God(s) he(she/they) would not give a damn about sexuality. 

Last edited by CosmicSex - on 05 June 2018

TH3-D0S3R said:

Exactly. Point is, it's the owners BELIEF that every person has the right to live (in fact that's why an overwhelming majority of gun owners in America own guns, that way they can better protect themselves when someone decides to try and infringe on their right) and as such wont sell to someone who doesn't have the same moral standard as he does and wants to kill as many as possible. By the logic that you've been stating here, such as this statement here:

'I would use the law to force the baker to DO HIS JOB which It seems I must remind you is BAKING, not discriminating.'

Let me replace the words to fit in with the context of what I am and you were saying:

'I would use the law to force the gun store owner to DO HIS JOB which It seems I must remind you is SELLING GUNS, not discriminating.'

You see how this becomes an issue when you force this in practical business? If you make a baker bake cakes based on forced business and not their moral beliefs, this will translate over to society in all other businesses. Teens who need help will get access to over the counter pills based on discrimination. Murderers can get guns because they're being biased with predetermined tests. Etc.

Point is, the baker did the best he could to help the customers. He offered to make them anything else, as long as it wasn't a wedding cake, because it goes against his standards of marriage as a Christian of his branch. The point is, he made the effort to serve the customers as far as he could based on his beliefs, which is protected by the 1st Amendment. The man didn't force them out of his restaurant because they were gay, he offered brownies, cupcakes, cakes, and other items as long it didn't have mention of any marriage related material, which to me is more than fair. He never made them become Christian or stop being gay for his services, so this idea of the baker being discriminatory is stupid, incoherent, and illogical.

If the couple really wanted to just be like everyone else, they would've gone to another bakery which most likely wasn't far away at all, or they could've opened their own bakery. Instead, they forced their beliefs on the guy by taking this all the way to SCOTUS, where they got exposed for the bullies they were.

You can offer services to anyone, but forcing the store owner to do it or else discrimination prison is beyond bad, and as I stated before, sometimes bad discrimination to you helps good discrimination not be carried out. If you forced a man to bake a cake for a gay wedding or else discrimination, what then will stop the murderers from yelling discrimination when it comes to buying guns?

While you may not like it, in a way it is a necessary evil that does good. It equals free speech in that people can say terrible things but you also have the right to say whatever you want, and in both instances, there CAN BE CONSEQUENCES. If you don't like the baker's decisions and frequently buy from him, don't go there anymore and run him out of business.

Again, I agree with the baker, but there are counter balances that seem to be ignored.

Dude I can see that you put lots of effort in your argument and while it has the merit of some reflection it is in the end nothing more than a house of cards that a simple sneeze can bring down.

First, you cannot compare the sale of guns for the very OBVIOUS reason that if you refuse to sell a gun to someone which you suspect is going to kill, you are SAVING a life. (Ideally you shouldn't sell any guns to any one but that's another debate)

So In what universe you are preventing a murder by refusing a wedding cake to a gay couple? What OBJECTIVE reason do you have to refuse such a cake? Other than ignorant religious beliefs? Try to think for a second on this. Imagine this news title: "Gun salesman saves lives as he refuses to sell gun to suspect which was later arrested after proof has been found that he planned a terrorist attack"

Now let's compare it to the issue at hand: Baker saves lives as he refuses to sell a wedding cake to a gay couple which were later arrested after proof was found that they planned to what??? kill people with their cake?" I don't even know how to finish this comparison, it's so ridiculously totally unrelated to the sales of guns and the very good reasons to refuse to sell guns to someone.

So no, the cake thing does NOT become an issue the way the gun thing does. Like not even close!

The baker does not want to bake that cake because he's a bigoted individual that wants to impose his religion upon others. He can't force people to not be gay in their lives so he goes for his second best option: refuse service to them in his store. it's not much, I admit but it's a SEED for bigotry and discrimination.

The baker did NOT do the best he could since by definition the best is what you can actually do and he could have baked that cake, it was not above his strength, it was not going to give him cancer to bake that cake, so not only did he NOT do the best he could, he also acted CONDESCENDING and disrespectful towards a customer. The deal in a free country is to live your life freely and LET OTHERS LIVE THEIRS. The baker was supposed to do a JOB, the gay couple was going into a bakery to get a cake. Like I said before, NO ONE forces the baker to bake cakes if he does not want for whatever reason. bigotry for example but then why become a baker? Whereas the gay couple were just doing what any American is supposed to be able to do: ENTER INSIDE A BUSINESS NOT TO TURN THE OWNER GAY NOT TO BECOME HIS FRIEND but to do what he is supposed to do. HIS JOB, NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS.

You say "If the couple really wanted to just be like everyone else, they would've gone to another bakery"

Well again wrong. being like EVERYONE ELSE means being ABLE to go where EVERY ONE ELSE CAN GO. So by refusing service to that gay couple, the baker made it so that the gay couple COULD NOT be like everyone else. Everyone else can get a cake in that store so why not that gay couple (if you really believe they have the same rights as anyone else).

And finally it's not about forcing the baker to do something. The baker became baker of his own free will. It's called taking on responsibilities. If I choose to work in an office then I MUST go every day to the office to work. It's not about anyone forcing me it's just me taking my responsibilities. If I don't like it I QUIT and if the baker does not like serving customers then let him quit and do something else. Serving customers is part of the job, if you don't like it, don't do a job where you'll have to serve customers.

HollyGamer said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

The sad part is that I explained several times the logic but clearly if you did not get it back then I don't see how you'd get it now so If I were you I would avoid talking about other people's brains. When you make a bigoted argument in favor of discrimination, speaking of other people's brains is, how shall I put it?  Rather clumsy.

So i would like to question your logic here!  do you think people will die if they are not eating Cake?  LMAO  

Edit: you never explained anything in your previous comment, what i see and everybody see are you push your agenda and your complain, and tried to force your idea on everything. PERIOD 

You need to stop LYAO. The ass is not made to be laughed off, I'm no doctor but it could cause medial issues for your ass so go easy on it.

And yet another question I have already answered, though I'll give you this: There as been so many posts in this thread that you may not have seen it.

So do I think people will die if they are not eating cake. Let me see... No, they would not die. But is that your best argument here?

Cause I'm sure you realize a Chinese person would not like it if you called him F**** C**** piece of ****** go ****** ****. Yet I'll ask you the same stupid question you asked me:

Do you think that Chinese person would die hearing you say those horrible words? No, he would not die, yet you'd STILL be banned from this forum. Or someone would still sue you in real life if you said that face to face right? But why? According to you, if one does not die of something, then it's OK to do that thing. Do you realize how stupid that line of reasoning is?

And about your Edit: you seem bipolar, going from LYAO to whining about my agenda that everybody sees me pushing. And despite so many comments I made in this thread, you dare say I did not explain anything? And tried to force my ideas on everything? (I guess you mean everyone) It's called reasoning and using logic and I admit I am rather good at that.

Now I think it's my turn to LMAO

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
KLAMarine said:

If this bakery is the man's privately-owned business, this gay couple is imposing their religious/political/moral views on the baker and his privately-owned business. They're telling him how to run his business.

Doesn't that depend? I mean, if they were asking him to make a giant dick cake or something, sure. But if they're just asking for a regular cake that's no different to what any other customer would buy for a wedding then they aren't imposing anything on him, they're just regular customers and he would be the one unjustly imposing his views.

I'm not sure what sort of cake was requested, actually.

Puppyroach said:
KLAMarine said:

If this bakery is the man's privately-owned business, this gay couple is imposing their religious/political/moral views on the baker and his privately-owned business. They're telling him how to run his business.

How are they doing that when the product doesn´t differ from making a cake for a straight couple? Also, you mean that he has made no benefits at all from taxes that people pay in the US, his business is completely private and is in no way, not even partially, a product of society? :).

"How are they doing that when the product doesn´t differ from making a cake for a straight couple?"

I don't know what sort of cake was requested. The cake requested might have been one that celebrated same-sex marriage.

"Also, you mean that he has made no benefits at all from taxes that people pay in the US, his business is completely private and is in no way, not even partially, a product of society? :)."

I'm not sure what you're getting at but for what it's worth, yes, he benefits from taxpayer money and I'm sure, if the defendant was the owner, he also paid his fair share of taxes.

I am on the middle in this debate. A business should be able to operate the way it wants to a certain degree and refusing to bake the cake should be allowable, but for different reasons than were raised here. The ruling should be that you cannot be forced to make products that have political meaning behind them.

The cake shop should be forced to bake a wedding cake, but whether that cake has anything specific to gay people should be optional.

CrazyGamer2017 said:
TH3-D0S3R said:

Exactly. Point is, it's the owners BELIEF that every person has the right to live (in fact that's why an overwhelming majority of gun owners in America own guns, that way they can better protect themselves when someone decides to try and infringe on their right) and as such wont sell to someone who doesn't have the same moral standard as he does and wants to kill as many as possible. By the logic that you've been stating here, such as this statement here:

'I would use the law to force the baker to DO HIS JOB which It seems I must remind you is BAKING, not discriminating.'

Let me replace the words to fit in with the context of what I am and you were saying:

'I would use the law to force the gun store owner to DO HIS JOB which It seems I must remind you is SELLING GUNS, not discriminating.'

You see how this becomes an issue when you force this in practical business? If you make a baker bake cakes based on forced business and not their moral beliefs, this will translate over to society in all other businesses. Teens who need help will get access to over the counter pills based on discrimination. Murderers can get guns because they're being biased with predetermined tests. Etc.

Point is, the baker did the best he could to help the customers. He offered to make them anything else, as long as it wasn't a wedding cake, because it goes against his standards of marriage as a Christian of his branch. The point is, he made the effort to serve the customers as far as he could based on his beliefs, which is protected by the 1st Amendment. The man didn't force them out of his restaurant because they were gay, he offered brownies, cupcakes, cakes, and other items as long it didn't have mention of any marriage related material, which to me is more than fair. He never made them become Christian or stop being gay for his services, so this idea of the baker being discriminatory is stupid, incoherent, and illogical.

If the couple really wanted to just be like everyone else, they would've gone to another bakery which most likely wasn't far away at all, or they could've opened their own bakery. Instead, they forced their beliefs on the guy by taking this all the way to SCOTUS, where they got exposed for the bullies they were.

You can offer services to anyone, but forcing the store owner to do it or else discrimination prison is beyond bad, and as I stated before, sometimes bad discrimination to you helps good discrimination not be carried out. If you forced a man to bake a cake for a gay wedding or else discrimination, what then will stop the murderers from yelling discrimination when it comes to buying guns?

While you may not like it, in a way it is a necessary evil that does good. It equals free speech in that people can say terrible things but you also have the right to say whatever you want, and in both instances, there CAN BE CONSEQUENCES. If you don't like the baker's decisions and frequently buy from him, don't go there anymore and run him out of business.

Again, I agree with the baker, but there are counter balances that seem to be ignored.

Dude I can see that you put lots of effort in your argument and while it has the merit of some reflection it is in the end nothing more than a house of cards that a simple sneeze can bring down.

First, you cannot compare the sale of guns for the very OBVIOUS reason that if you refuse to sell a gun to someone which you suspect is going to kill, you are SAVING a life. (Ideally you shouldn't sell any guns to any one but that's another debate)

So In what universe you are preventing a murder by refusing a wedding cake to a gay couple?

So no, the cake thing does NOT become an issue the way the gun thing does. Like not even close! 

1. What OBJECTIVE reason do you have to refuse such a cake? Other than ignorant religious beliefs?

2. Try to think for a second on this. Imagine this news title: "Gun salesman saves lives as he refuses to sell gun to suspect which was later arrested after proof has been found that he planned a terrorist attack" Now let's compare it to the issue at hand: Baker saves lives as he refuses to sell a wedding cake to a gay couple which were later arrested after proof was found that they planned to what??? kill people with their cake?" I don't even know how to finish this comparison, it's so ridiculously totally unrelated to the sales of guns and the very good reasons to refuse to sell guns to someone.

3. The baker does not want to bake that cake because he's a bigoted individual that wants to impose his religion upon others. He can't force people to not be gay in their lives so he goes for his second best option: refuse service to them in his store. it's not much, I admit but it's a SEED for bigotry and discrimination.

4. The baker did NOT do the best he could since by definition the best is what you can actually do and he could have baked that cake, it was not above his strength, it was not going to give him cancer to bake that cake, so not only did he NOT do the best he could, he also acted CONDESCENDING and disrespectful towards a customer. The deal in a free country is to live your life freely and LET OTHERS LIVE THEIRS. The baker was supposed to do a JOB, the gay couple was going into a bakery to get a cake. Like I said before, NO ONE forces the baker to bake cakes if he does not want for whatever reason. bigotry for example but then why become a baker? Whereas the gay couple were just doing what any American is supposed to be able to do: ENTER INSIDE A BUSINESS NOT TO TURN THE OWNER GAY NOT TO BECOME HIS FRIEND but to do what he is supposed to do. HIS JOB, NOTHING MORE NOTHING LESS.

5. You say "If the couple really wanted to just be like everyone else, they would've gone to another bakery" Well again wrong. being like EVERYONE ELSE means being ABLE to go where EVERY ONE ELSE CAN GO. So by refusing service to that gay couple, the baker made it so that the gay couple COULD NOT be like everyone else. Everyone else can get a cake in that store so why not that gay couple (if you really believe they have the same rights as anyone else).

6. And finally it's not about forcing the baker to do something. The baker became baker of his own free will. It's called taking on responsibilities. If I choose to work in an office then I MUST go every day to the office to work. It's not about anyone forcing me it's just me taking my responsibilities. If I don't like it I QUIT and if the baker does not like serving customers then let him quit and do something else. Serving customers is part of the job, if you don't like it, don't do a job where you'll have to serve customers.

I rearranged some stuff purely because I'm too lazy to make multiple quotes, everything except the font and numbers is unchanged though.

For the bolded parts, go back to my first part where I clearly stated "I'm not trying to equate these two things together."

1. What do you define as ignorant? As a Christian I'm interested in hearing this. And as I stated before, there are branches of Christianity that perform gay marriage ceremonies, so this idea of bundling all branches together just doesn't work. In my own standards I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. I have no problem if you are gay and love you all the same, I just cant get behind the ceremony itself because it's not what I see as good. The people themselves are not evil, just the institution is, and even then evil is a bad word for it, I prefer dislike. That being said, as a libertarian, you are free to do as you please, as long as you don't force your beliefs onto others or cause violence. In this case there was a force of beliefs by forcing someone else to make a cake for something he doesn't agree with when he offered his services in many other ways. Not once did the baker hand out a Bible pamphlet and call them evil gays forcing them out of his store, so demonizing this baker wont go anywhere.

2. Yes comparing these two is stupid and ridiculous, which is why I focused on the mindsets of the owners of themselves. I hate making extreme examples, but everything was based off broad statements you previously made, so unless there is a clear concise answer that has preset parameters, any example of certain mindsets and seeing how this may go too far is fair game. The right to sell a cake and a right to sell a gun set to the sellers standards is by technicality fair and comparable in a sense, so I used it without trying to demonize the gay couple.

3. Except for the part where he offered other services to the couple (http://time.com/5301461/colorado-baker-jack-phillips-supreme-court-gay-marriage-cake/). He also refuses to make anti-American cakes and Halloween cakes, first for obvious reason and second for religious beliefs. Willfully being bigoted does not include offering other services, EVER. Knowing the facts that went into this case is important.

4. This is an argument presented purely by emotion and opinion which refuses to take into account both sides of the coin. You were not there, therefore you couldn't know if he was being condescending and disrespectful given the descriptions of the case. And your idea of living freely is just wrong. According to you, the couple have the right to live freely, but the baker has to do what said couple wants even if he doesn't morally agree with it and offers other services to said couple in compromise, otherwise he's a bigot. That doesn't sound like the right to live freely, that sounds like forcing a set of beliefs on someone who doesn't agree, which is very authoritarian and evil.

5. The baker in this case DID offer other services to the couple, no matter how much you ignore it. The only thing he didn't offer to do was make a cake for a ceremony he found illegitimate, which again is protected under the freedom of religion in the 1st Amendment. There were most likely hundreds of other options that weren't far that more than likely would've welcomed the couple with open arms. I don't see how taking him to court when he offered other services to the couple was the inherent right thing to do.

If I went to a bakery that was run by a gay man in which he offered me services but refused to make a cake for a straight wedding, is it discrimination then?

(The answer to that is also no to me)

6. You don't HAVE to go to your office job everyday, but if you don't, there will be consequences. The baker doesn't HAVE to serve anyone, but if he doesn't he'll go out of business and lose respect. Nobody is forced to do anything. The baker did offer services, but refused when it started to involve his moral compass, which to me is fair, but others who don't agree can also boycott the baker. If the CEO of Apple said Fuck Christians and Christianity, I wouldn't sue, but I'd boycott in a heartbeat along with others and drastically influence his company to the point where he either leaves, gets fired, or the company goes under. The couple dealt with a case that went nowhere near as far as the example I stated, but decided to make this personal and force their own beliefs on the baker through this lawsuit then just go somewhere where they were welcomed.

KLAMarine said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Doesn't that depend? I mean, if they were asking him to make a giant dick cake or something, sure. But if they're just asking for a regular cake that's no different to what any other customer would buy for a wedding then they aren't imposing anything on him, they're just regular customers and he would be the one unjustly imposing his views.

I'm not sure what sort of cake was requested, actually.

Puppyroach said:

How are they doing that when the product doesn´t differ from making a cake for a straight couple? Also, you mean that he has made no benefits at all from taxes that people pay in the US, his business is completely private and is in no way, not even partially, a product of society? :).

"How are they doing that when the product doesn´t differ from making a cake for a straight couple?"

I don't know what sort of cake was requested. The cake requested might have been one that celebrated same-sex marriage.

"Also, you mean that he has made no benefits at all from taxes that people pay in the US, his business is completely private and is in no way, not even partially, a product of society? :)."

I'm not sure what you're getting at but for what it's worth, yes, he benefits from taxpayer money and I'm sure, if the defendant was the owner, he also paid his fair share of taxes.

It did directly say marriage and the name of the two men.

CrazyGamer2017 said:
numberwang said:

Trump was the first President to endorse gay marriage (as a Citizen) long before Obama or Clinton flip-flopped.

So you would use the power of the state to throw him in jail ultimately? What happened to live and let live & gay marriage won't affect your life?

Do you see how dishonest your reply is? Where did I say I would use the power of the state to throw him in jail? Read my comment again, I underlined my answer in case it somehow still eludes you.

That's the only part I hate in debates, when you dry up your opponents' arguments they sometimes become aggressive, other times make stuff up and pretend you said something you so very obviously never said in order to bring confusion and obfuscate.

Aggressive? You're the one that said you would use the force of the government to make someone bake a stinking cake. You realize you're teetering on the edge of fascism there, right? Anyway, he is just asking you what would happen if the baker still refused. I mean jail time is really the only answer, right?