By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - US Supreme Court: Christian baker does not have to bake 'the gay cake'

REDZONE said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

It should not have been an issue obviously. The baker had a simple job to do, make a cake for their customers, the job is NOT decide what cake the customer must have but give the customer the cake he/she wants.

As for a nazi lover asking a Jewish baker for a cake with a swastika. Nazism has hurt Jewish people beyond anything we can even imagine so him refusing makes total sense. When did homosexuals mass murder Christians? They never did so that homophobic baker had no ground for refusal of service... other than his ignorance and homophobia and the US Supreme Court upheld that homophobia and that is both wrong and a dangerous precedent.

My point is Christians hates Gays as much as Jews hates Nazi.They killed and entire Nation of them in the bible.He has a choice to make it or not he didn't.Life is about what you choose to do and not what someone thinks you should do and it is"HIS" business to do as he chooses.That is your problem thinking he should do it because it is the "moral" thing to do.

Well yes it is the moral thing to do but that alone is not what I am defending here. It is technically not my problem since I am not gay but it's a precedent and it opens up a Pandora's box for prejudice of all kind and refusal of service based on nothing more than prejudice. As such it could very well become my problem tomorrow, I could see myself refused service in America because I'm not American or my hair it too long or too short or cause I'm an Atheist. It could be your problem too cause you are Jew or black or Democrat, Republican etc... It can become EVERYBODY's problem if we don't contain that kind of prejudice.

The baker can hate blacks or gays, nothing we can do about it but he should NOT be allowed to refuse service when he opens up a business that engages the public based on SUBJECTIVE prejudice. He can refuse business to someone drunk or unruly or threatening someone but not based on someone's life style or sexual orientation or skin color. Well at least not in a civilized country.

Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:
Tigerlure said:
You can't deny people based on race in a business. I don't see why you should be able to deny based on sexual orientation.

I wonder if this baker has declined to bake a cake for a divorced person, or someone with a child out of wedlock. The other thing that annoys me is selective religious convictions.

Finally a few people here that make sense. Where were you and the others common sense people last night when I was here alone dealing with the homophobic comments?

You still having answered my earlier question: would you use the power of the state to force the baker to express approvement of homosexual things under punishment.

REDZONE said:
And this is why this world is fucked up.He refused to bake a gay cake,so what?He offered other cakes,he did not refuse them service because they were gay.Why is this even an issue, if it's not his beliefs it is not his beliefs.If he had been a Jewish baker and a Nazi lover walked in and told him bake a cake for me but with the Hitler sign and he refused would there been an outcry?I doubt very much.

Or if a KKK member wanted a black baker to bake a cake for his clan meeting that said "Lynch'em all." 

The sad thing is that many on the Left are always on the look out for Fascists on the right, when they are more prone to become Fascists. They want a big, all overseeing government that forces citizens to bend to their political will. To police language, because some words they have deemed "hateful." Certain areas need to be made safe zones, because free expression from those who disagree with them triggers them, which hurts them physically and mentally. 

And in this situation, it's not good enough that they won the gay marriage fight and there are dozens of bakeries that would support them. No, those who disagreed with them must be punished. So, we'll find the ones who did and either sue them or have the government take care of them, when they say they can't bake exactly what we want. Even though in both cases I have seen, both bakers politely explained the situation and either tried to work with them or use their free time to find a bakery that would bake the cake. Nope, not good enough. Big Brother, force them and/or punish them. 

While I think that him refusing it in the first place is just fucking dumb he does have his reasons. He didnt want to make a special cake for them because it goes against what he believes in which is fair I rather not have it like this but again believes are believes and you should be able to believe in what you want to believe in as long as he´s not calling names or being very bigotted about it. I heard somewhere that he gave adresses to other bakery´s that make cakes and if they dont have the same problem then to me it doesnt seem a problem since it doesnt seem like he disliked gay people (If that part is true) his believe just stands against the wedding between two men.

Well freedom of speech and what not. He has the right to not make the cake but everyone in that town has the right to boycott his close minded bs

Around the Network

It's his religious right, his right as a business owner, and his right as an individual. No one is in the right when they say he should have baked the cake. The gay couple have no right to force him to make them a cake, they have every right to go to another bakery. There was no discrimination whatsoever in this case, the cake baker wasn't rude at all.

And this whole story ignores the fact that Muslim cake bakers deny gay people all the time. This is just to make Christians look like the bad guys in this world. Christians & gays being a group of people who are killed in record numbers everyday in muslim countries.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIwqPbFCFck

Ka-pi96 said:
hmm, not sure what to think of this. On one hand businesses should have the right to choose what business they take, but on the other hand refusing customers due to their sexual orientation is not a good precedent.

I guess really it should depend on what the details were. ie. if they wanted a custom made cake then he should be well within his rights to refuse, but if they were just buying a regular cake from the menu or shop window or something then refusing that should be grounds for a discrimination case.

Pretty sure all wedding cakes would be custom made.

But from what I've heard, it was not just refusal of gay people. He has no problem making gay couples cakes on any normal occasions, birthdays, graduations, ect. It was the sole marriage aspect. He believes that gays marrying is against his religion and thus doesn't feel right about it. I think the court compared it to another business not wanting to pay for abortions for its employees due to religious reasons. They offered insurance on everything else, but abortions.

I'm mixed on the issue. I understand their stances and would like to support them. Heck I believe the baker even referred other bakeries to the gay couple if I recall correctly. Just feels like let people do what they want and let capitalism sort out the rest. You know, if I opened up a restaurant and had signs outside that said "whites only" I'm fairly confident that in today's day and age, I would be out of business by the time my first bills were due. (sadly in today's day, I would also probably be killed) But it is a slippery slope. We let religious people refuse service for this or that and more and more things become acceptable and soon we could be back to refusing service for black or women or who knows.

Pemalite said:
Aeolus451 said:

But they're trying to force him bake cakes or not at all. The bible does mention homosexuality so it falls under religious belief. 

I live in a secular nation... And I am also an Atheist.
Thus I firmly believe the law and equal treatment of all comes before Religion.

Freedom of Religion also implies Freedom FROM Religion, if you contract someone to do a job, you damn well expect them to do it without any fuss or bullshit, having someone whinge and croak about their religion is ultimately irrelevant, they should keep it to themselves rather than push their religious agenda onto others.

For instance if I am contracted to do a job, I damn well do it. - I don't bring any personal opinions or perspectives or prejudices or bigotry, just do the damn job and move on like any normal Adult would.
Instead they did the complete opposite and made a giant production of it all, playing the victim.

He wasn't contracted for a job. Two guys came into his business and asked him to do a job. He refused. No contract was made. He didn't promise services and then change his mind.

It's like the same if I walk into a store with no shirt or shoes and am refused service.

Pemalite said:
Aeolus451 said:

He is keeping his religion to himself, in his business and with his cakes.

No he isn't. He expressing his religious "morals" upon others by denying them a product/service.

Aeolus451 said:

Religion is protected by the constitution and they can get a cake elsewhere.

Fantastic. Cake is NOT religious. Religion does not overrule marriage law.

Aeolus451 said:

They're not getting  married at his store.

Exactly.

Aeolus451 said:

There's no justification to force a man to make a cake when he doesn't want to. Sorry, we don't live in a totalitarian society.

The bakers should have just done their job and moved on and kept their "dissatisfaction" to themselves.
LGBT people just wish to be treated like anyone else, could you imagine how the religious conservatives would have reacted if the shoe was on the other foot? I have a fair idea considering the fallacies they leveraged during the postal survey we had here last year.

If this bakery is the man's privately-owned business, this gay couple is imposing their religious/political/moral views on the baker and his privately-owned business. They're telling him how to run his business.

the-pi-guy said:
thismeintiel said:

Or if a KKK member wanted a black baker to bake a cake for his clan meeting that said "Lynch'em all." 

The sad thing is that many on the Left are always on the look out for Fascists on the right, when they are more prone to become Fascists. They want a big, all overseeing government that forces citizens to bend to their political will. To police language, because some words they have deemed "hateful." Certain areas need to be made safe zones, because free expression from those who disagree with them triggers them, which hurts them physically and mentally. 

And in this situation, it's not good enough that they won the gay marriage fight and there are dozens of bakeries that would support them. No, those who disagreed with them must be punished. So, we'll find the ones who did and either sue them or have the government take care of them, when they say they can't bake exactly what we want. Even though in both cases I have seen, both bakers politely explained the situation and either tried to work with them or use their free time to find a bakery that would bake the cake. Nope, not good enough. Big Brother, force them and/or punish them. 

Here and anyone else:

The Nazi and KKK comparisons are not appropriate.  Please don't make them.

I'm sorry, what?!  Why?  Because you have no argument against them?  No one is calling gay people Nazis or the KKK.  The point is, you are going to force bakers to bake a cake against their will, or you aren't.  The situation changes nothing.  We either move to a country where Big Brother pushes companies to bend to its will and force them to serve a protected class (which, by the way, changes depending on who has control), or we try to remain a country where people have free will and make their own choices and society can chose to go their place of business or not.

And if you are going to use your mod privileges to force people from using a legit argument, that is extremely weak.

⚠️ WARNED: Flaming ~ CGI

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 05 June 2018