Forums - Politics Discussion - US Supreme Court: Christian baker does not have to bake 'the gay cake'

Teeqoz said:
Angelus said:

Oh sure, I get that. And it would definitely suck to walk in a place and get turned away like that. I'm just saying, once you go through that….can't imagine you'd really want to find some way to force that place to still make your cake anyway. You want someone who actually cares about your big day going off without a hitch.

They didn't attempt to force him to bake the cake. They went to a different baker, but they sent a complaint to the Colorado Civil Rights Commission. They didn't drag him to court to force him to bake the cake for them, they sent a complaint, and the Colorado Civil Rights Commission made ruling against the baker, which the SCOTUS now ruled that the Civil Rights Commission was biased thus the ruling was overturned.

Ah, ok. That makes more sense.

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:

He is keeping his religion to himself, in his business and with his cakes.

No he isn't. He expressing his religious "morals" upon others by denying them a product/service.

Aeolus451 said:

Religion is protected by the constitution and they can get a cake elsewhere.

Fantastic. Cake is NOT religious. Religion does not overrule marriage law.

Aeolus451 said:

They're not getting  married at his store.

Exactly.

Aeolus451 said:

There's no justification to force a man to make a cake when he doesn't want to. Sorry, we don't live in a totalitarian society.

The bakers should have just done their job and moved on and kept their "dissatisfaction" to themselves.
LGBT people just wish to be treated like anyone else, could you imagine how the religious conservatives would have reacted if the shoe was on the other foot? I have a fair idea considering the fallacies they leveraged during the postal survey we had here last year.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
Aeolus451 said:

But they're trying to force him bake cakes or not at all. The bible does mention homosexuality so it falls under religious belief. 

I live in a secular nation... And I am also an Atheist.
Thus I firmly believe the law and equal treatment of all comes before Religion.

Freedom of Religion also implies Freedom FROM Religion, if you contract someone to do a job, you damn well expect them to do it without any fuss or bullshit, having someone whinge and croak about their religion is ultimately irrelevant, they should keep it to themselves rather than push their religious agenda onto others.

For instance if I am contracted to do a job, I damn well do it. - I don't bring any personal opinions or perspectives or prejudices or bigotry, just do the damn job and move on like any normal Adult would.
Instead they did the complete opposite and made a giant production of it all, playing the victim.

You can't force someone into a contract 

Pemalite said:
Aeolus451 said:

He is keeping his religion to himself, in his business and with his cakes.

No he isn't. He expressing his religious "morals" upon others by denying them a product/service.

Aeolus451 said:

Religion is protected by the constitution and they can get a cake elsewhere.

Fantastic. Cake is NOT religious. Religion does not overrule marriage law.

Aeolus451 said:

They're not getting  married at his store.

Exactly.

Aeolus451 said:

There's no justification to force a man to make a cake when he doesn't want to. Sorry, we don't live in a totalitarian society.

The bakers should have just done their job and moved on and kept their "dissatisfaction" to themselves.
LGBT people just wish to be treated like anyone else, could you imagine how the religious conservatives would have reacted if the shoe was on the other foot? I have a fair idea considering the fallacies they leveraged during the postal survey we had here last year.

Do you think there would have been the same amount of out-cry if this was a Muslim bakery??? Think about it honestly.

Maxosaurus-rex said:
Pemalite said:

I live in a secular nation... And I am also an Atheist.
Thus I firmly believe the law and equal treatment of all comes before Religion.

Freedom of Religion also implies Freedom FROM Religion, if you contract someone to do a job, you damn well expect them to do it without any fuss or bullshit, having someone whinge and croak about their religion is ultimately irrelevant, they should keep it to themselves rather than push their religious agenda onto others.

For instance if I am contracted to do a job, I damn well do it. - I don't bring any personal opinions or perspectives or prejudices or bigotry, just do the damn job and move on like any normal Adult would.
Instead they did the complete opposite and made a giant production of it all, playing the victim.

You can't force someone into a contract 

Exactly! 

Around the Network

You can't deny people based on race in a business. I don't see why you should be able to deny based on sexual orientation.

I wonder if this baker has declined to bake a cake for a divorced person, or someone with a child out of wedlock. The other thing that annoys me is selective religious convictions.

Tigerlure said:
You can't deny people based on race in a business. I don't see why you should be able to deny based on sexual orientation.

I wonder if this baker has declined to bake a cake for a divorced person, or someone with a child out of wedlock. The other thing that annoys me is selective religious convictions.

Finally a few people here that make sense. Where were you and the others common sense people last night when I was here alone dealing with the homophobic comments?

CrazyGamer2017 said:
Tigerlure said:

Finally a few people here that make sense. Where were you and the others common sense people last night when I was here alone dealing with the homophobic comments?

Just because you are wrong doesn't mean they aren't making sense and homophobic comments. 

NightlyPoe said:

And we're back to pointing out that cake designers often refuse customer requests that conflict with what they're comfortable with.  I strongly suspect that you are perfectly fine with a baker refusing to design an erotic cake for a bachelor party and pointing out what they can do instead.

So unless you want to open yourself up to an obvious double standard, that argument doesn't work.

That has NOTHING to do with double standards. Double standards is when a baker says: You are straight? Come in here let's do business. You are gay? Get the fuck out, I'm not doing business with you.

If a baker refuses an erotic cake in the shape of a dick or boob, AS LONG AS he refuses to do such a cake for EVERYBODY, black, white, gay, straight, there are no double standards involved. If he does a boob cake for a white dude but refuses to do it for a black one then that is TOTAL double standards.

Don't try to use logic or concepts like double standards to win this argument cause it's a dead end for your side of the argument my friend

Tigerlure said:

Religion doesn't require you to hold all moral standards in the same regard