By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - MCV: New Boss of Microsoft Studios on Xbox's First Party Strategy

it's not even about mulit vs. single player. It just seems they are going to continue a strategy that hasn't been working ok, you want to make games that you can monetize for years? Fine, but what happens when no one is buying those games. What then? Just keep making meh games hoping one of them will be the next Fortnite? Seems like a odd strategy.



Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
Well with Minecraft surpassing 150 million, Fortnite making billions, GTAV surpassing 100 million, Activision still making a ton of COD, EA even after the bullshit with SWBII having a great year, Pokemon GO being the most profitable Pokemon game, Valve making still a ton with CS/TFII why would you focus on single player games?

Maybe the millions of gamers who decided to not buy a XB1 know the answer.



"lupus in fabula, venit enim ad me."

Translation: I will always hate Fox for canceling The Exorcist.

Nothing new, really. More diplomatic version of no AAA single player games from us boiz.



Masked_Muchaco said:
konnichiwa said:
Well with Minecraft surpassing 150 million, Fortnite making billions, GTAV surpassing 100 million, Activision still making a ton of COD, EA even after the bullshit with SWBII having a great year, Pokemon GO being the most profitable Pokemon game, Valve making still a ton with CS/TFII why would you focus on single player games?

Maybe the millions of gamers who decided to not buy a XB1 know the answer.

So answer it then?






Barkley said:
DirtyP2002 said:
multiplayer games > singleplayer games. End of story.

I'm sure many people would disagree.


But most people did not.



Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
Masked_Muchaco said:

Maybe the millions of gamers who decided to not buy a XB1 know the answer.

So answer it then?

Lack of exclusives that I can't play on my PC, and lack of exclusives that interest me at all. But of course I can only speak for myself.



"lupus in fabula, venit enim ad me."

Translation: I will always hate Fox for canceling The Exorcist.

Barkley said:
DirtyP2002 said:
multiplayer games > singleplayer games. End of story.

I'm sure many people would disagree.

Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Horizon: Zero Dawn, God of War, all singleplayer titles released within the last 16 months, and all of them critically acclaimed and heading towards 10m+ units sold.

Multiplayer focussed/only Games can be absolutely massive (pubg, fortnite, overwatch, league of legends). But for every one that attempts it tens of games never reach success.

The past year has shown, that incredible Single Player experiences are still HIGHLY sought after and can achieve dizzying success.

 

"Singleplayer games > Multiplayer games. End of Story" - just like your statement, this is of zero value.

To be fair the same thing applies to single player games. You can list all the massively hyped and well received ones that sold/will sell 10 million+, but for each of those there’s “tens of games” that don’t reach that success. And it’s not like Microsoft is alone in shifting primary focus to GaaS. Most major publishers are doing/have done the same thing. Just like when it comes to charging for online play, Nintendo and Sony will get there eventually. Sony’s first party output has been very safe this gen imho. The biggest risk they’ve taken so far is Horizon, but its not really a risk if you’re checking all the boxes your typical open world game needs to have. I mean it is basically an Ubisoft game design wise. Days Gone is a zombie game but they’re making it narrative driven, I have no doubts it will be similar to the Uncharted/LoU/GoW/Horizon formula they’re using for all their big games now.

I love Bethesda because they still focus on delivering SP games that appeal to me, but most of them don’t end up selling well, even though they are good games.

Every year shows there’s still a demand for good SP games. People seem to have this idea that Microsoft thinks SP games are dead. When someone posted that God of War had huge sales numbers people started posting Phil Spencer quotes about how SP success is not consistent, as if a SP game having huge sales proves him wrong or something. Questioning the impact of SP games as a whole does not mean zero will ever have big success or that the market is dead. It just means they might shift focus to other areas. It’s where the industry is headed.



Masked_Muchaco said:
konnichiwa said:

So answer it then?

Lack of exclusives that I can't play on my PC, and lack of exclusives that interest me at all. But of course I can only speak for myself.

I think if they go back like early 360 years they maybe sell more consoles but probably only lose money.






DirtyP2002 said:
Tmfwang said:

Because they're the best?

9 out of top 10 games on twitch are multiplayer titles.
Singleplayer games will be more and more niche as time goes by.

Even mobile games have a strong focus on multiplayer these days.

Possibly the worst example imaginable.

That is like going to a candy store and going "who here buys candy?"

Twitch is very much biased toward multiplayer games. it is endless content, no story (so no explanation no talking over it etc), and more importantly it allows the audience to join in with them.

The fact Detroit is even trending despite having any of that easily speaks to the power of single player. And if you want more examples go look into God of war, and Horizon zero dawn.



  • Deadliest mass shooting by an individual in US history (10/01/2017)
  • Deadliest high school shooting in US history (02/14/2018)
  • Deadliest massacre of Jews in US history (10/27/2018)
  • Political assassination attempt of TWO former presidents(and 10+ other people)  (10/23/2018 - and beyond)
LudicrousSpeed said:
Barkley said:

I'm sure many people would disagree.

Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Horizon: Zero Dawn, God of War, all singleplayer titles released within the last 16 months, and all of them critically acclaimed and heading towards 10m+ units sold.

Multiplayer focussed/only Games can be absolutely massive (pubg, fortnite, overwatch, league of legends). But for every one that attempts it tens of games never reach success.

The past year has shown, that incredible Single Player experiences are still HIGHLY sought after and can achieve dizzying success.

 

"Singleplayer games > Multiplayer games. End of Story" - just like your statement, this is of zero value.

To be fair the same thing applies to single player games. You can list all the massively hyped and well received ones that sold/will sell 10 million+, but for each of those there’s “tens of games” that don’t reach that success. And it’s not like Microsoft is alone in shifting primary focus to GaaS. Most major publishers are doing/have done the same thing. Just like when it comes to charging for online play, Nintendo and Sony will get there eventually. Sony’s first party output has been very safe this gen imho. The biggest risk they’ve taken so far is Horizon, but its not really a risk if you’re checking all the boxes your typical open world game needs to have. I mean it is basically an Ubisoft game design wise. Days Gone is a zombie game but they’re making it narrative driven, I have no doubts it will be similar to the Uncharted/LoU/GoW/Horizon formula they’re using for all their big games now.

I love Bethesda because they still focus on delivering SP games that appeal to me, but most of them don’t end up selling well, even though they are good games.

Every year shows there’s still a demand for good SP games. People seem to have this idea that Microsoft thinks SP games are dead. When someone posted that God of War had huge sales numbers people started posting Phil Spencer quotes about how SP success is not consistent, as if a SP game having huge sales proves him wrong or something. Questioning the impact of SP games as a whole does not mean zero will ever have big success or that the market is dead. It just means they might shift focus to other areas. It’s where the industry is headed.

Good post, and I mostly agree with what you said. Though I will address the first line. While yes there's many single player games that don't achieve success, I think there's a reason that can allow more Single Player games to achieve large success than multiplayer ones.

Multiplayer games is all about pulling as many users into your grasp as possible, and holding them hostage, keeping them playing your game for as long as possible, instead of going to someone elses. Making them spend as much money on whatever additional content you provide.

Whereas singleplayer games are just fired out into the mix, purchased and played from anywhere to 20-100 hours, then they move on to another title, rather than literally thousands some people spend with multiplayer titles.

The very nature of Multiplayer Games as an ongoing service makes it harder for them to succeed. While Singleplayer games, you really only have to worry about competing titles for the month of their release, multiplayer titles are constantly competing for attention for as long as they exist.

Overwatch is going to be consuming peoples time for years to come, stopping them from spending that time with other games. But GoW for example isn't going to be detracting from other games sales for very long at all.