By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I had no idea PS4 was hacked

5.05 firmware is latest that can be hacked, but it seems it was already possible on 4.55.

I don't recall any big gaming outlets reporting this, have I been sleeping under the rock?

Around the Network

Yeah, I remember hearing about it in December/New Years. It has been some time and some Youtubers reported on it.

Yeah it's hacked, but never really big news because it's always needed an older firmware. Though 5.05 is only 4 and a half months old.

I'm suprised Sony isn't already in the red numbers because of this.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Never even heard of it.... so you can play "backed up" games on it already?

Around the Network

Some members of the scene already have entry points to the latest firmware. They won't release it though, so Sony can't fix the shit. But yeah, PS4 is hacked wide open. Backed up games work without a problem, there's basically nothing you can't do. Not too many apps available right now, though. The scene is still pretty young. But in 1-2 years the PS4 should be a decent homebrew machine.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Yer we knew like late last year.

Although i didn't know they got the being able to play "backups" lol

You know what, trophies are actually a pretty effective deterrent to modding your console. I have a modded PS3 but am hesitant to play PS3 games on it because if I do I won't get the trophies And I assume the same for the PS4.

VGPolyglot said:
You know what, trophies are actually a pretty effective deterrent to modding your console. I have a modded PS3 but am hesitant to play PS3 games on it because if I do I won't get the trophies And I assume the same for the PS4.

Of course you get the trophies, why wouldn't you?

Best thing about hacked PS4 is backwards compatibility. Turns out the PS4 already has a full fletched PS2 emulator on board. Sony just decided not to give it to people. Because fuck them, that's why. =P

Personally, I just use two PS4. Got my old launch model which I didn't update since over a year for hacks and for all that online stuff and games that require 5.05+ firmware, I just use the Pro. If you have the chance, give homebrew a try. It's awesome.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

vivster said:
I'm suprised Sony isn't already in the red numbers because of this.

An exploit for a console doesn't have a huge marketing budget. It usually stays in the cold and desolate corners of the internet. Also, I suspect most people can't be arsed to go through the trouble.