By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Pokemon Company generated $80.8 million during the last fiscal year

The power of smartphone gaming!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
Dulfite said:

This is profit, not revenue. I think Nintendo's profit this past year was like $1.6 billion? And they have so many ips and whatnot. Pokemon has basically 1 ip they make money off.

I know but Pokemon is so huge with merchandise the card game,the cartoon still airing, games selling like crazy. Fortnite will make more profit in one year than what Pokemon did?

Fortnite payment model is like Pokemon Go. Free2play with micro-transactions. Expect them to do similar stuff in the future. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Ka-pi96 said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

I realize that, I'm referring to development costs for the Switch title which I would imagine eats into profits. 

Surely all of that would be coming out of GameFreak's profits instead though, no?

Always thought it was a joint venture between Nintendo, GameFreak, and Pokémon Company? Pardon my ignorance, not a Pokémon connoisseur by any stretch lol.

Barkley said:
Sad to see Pokémon Go make SO much more money than the games I actually care about.

That's how mobile gaming is nowadays. Hundreds of million (if not billion) people have smartphones compared to consoles or handhelds so there's more potential for investment.

Considering the COD-like sales the games pull in, I was expecting every year to pull in hundreds of millions. Are the games really THAT expensive to make? I'm half expecting gen 8 to bankrupt the company if Pokemon Go dies out.

Around the Network

Great numbers. When Pokemon Switch comes out, those numbers will be blown out of the water.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
Great numbers. When Pokemon Switch comes out, those numbers will be blown out of the water.

Why? Pokémon Switch won't make anywhere near the money Pokémon Go made. They made more money the launch year of Pokémon Go then all previous years combined. The console games do absolutely nothing compared to the mobile game.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Surely all of that would be coming out of GameFreak's profits instead though, no?

Always thought it was a joint venture between Nintendo, GameFreak, and Pokémon Company? Pardon my ignorance, not a Pokémon connoisseur by any stretch lol.

It's a confusing one for sure. It's a join venture between Nintendo, GameFreak and Creatures Inc really with each of those owning a third of the Pokemon Company. I'm not sure anybody outside of there knows how it all works for sure. But at the very least I'd assume the majority of development costs go through GameFreak since they are the ones actually developing the games so at the very least all the staff working there won't be in the Pokemon Company's financials.

The Pokemon Company itself is supposed to be "brand management" which definitely includes merchandising, that's for sure. I'd assume advertising too, which could explain the relatively low profits and occasional losses if all the advertising expenses are paid for by them but most of the revenue flows through Nintendo (as the publisher of the games) instead. Clearly they also get the money from Pokemon Go (or at least whatever part of it doesn't go to Niantic) given the past couple years.

To be honest it's mostly guess work, but surely there's just no way they could be including the main games in here. They're not exactly high budget and easily sell like 15m+ each time, there would have to be a lot more profit than this if they were included.

Barkley said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Why? Pokémon Switch won't make anywhere near the money Pokémon Go made. They made more money the launch year of Pokémon Go then all previous years combined. The console games do absolutely nothing compared to the mobile game.

Pokemon Switch sales + Pokemon Go boost due to popularity going back (and maybe sending Go games to the main games) + people paying for the Pokemon Bank (because that's still a thing) + all the merchandising of the new games. Everything is connected.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Darwinianevolution said:
Barkley said:

Pokemon Switch sales + Pokemon Go boost due to popularity going back (and maybe sending Go games to the main games) + people paying for the Pokemon Bank (because that's still a thing) + all the merchandising of the new games. Everything is connected.

I don't think anything can push Pokémon Go back up to the popularity it had. Profits won't return to that level.