By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Pokemon Company generated $80.8 million during the last fiscal year

PortisheadBiscuit said:
I wonder if some of the lower profit for FY 20 (compared to FY 19) can be attributed to the Pokemon Switch title forthcoming.

It's lower because the previous year had Pokemon Go launch in it.

Around the Network

Pokemon in the late 2000s wasn’t as big as I thought it was.
Quite frustrating to think that Pokemon Go brought the Pokemon franchise out of stagnation.
And we’re talking about the second best selling gaming franchise in history, just image what the situation is/was for way smaller games. No wonder the AA games market is dying rapidly, especially here in the west.

Dulfite said:
konnichiwa said:
It is not so high like as expected? Well it is fine some years were small though considering the merchandise etc.

This is profit, not revenue. I think Nintendo's profit this past year was like $1.6 billion? And they have so many ips and whatnot. Pokemon has basically 1 ip they make money off.

I know but Pokemon is so huge with merchandise the card game,the cartoon still airing, games selling like crazy. Fortnite will make more profit in one year than what Pokemon did?

Sad to see Pokémon Go make SO much more money than the games I actually care about.

Wyrdness said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:
I wonder if some of the lower profit for FY 20 (compared to FY 19) can be attributed to the Pokemon Switch title forthcoming.

It's lower because the previous year had Pokemon Go launch in it.

I realize that, I'm referring to development costs for the Switch title which I would imagine eats into profits. 

Around the Network

The power of smartphone gaming!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

konnichiwa said:
Dulfite said:

This is profit, not revenue. I think Nintendo's profit this past year was like $1.6 billion? And they have so many ips and whatnot. Pokemon has basically 1 ip they make money off.

I know but Pokemon is so huge with merchandise the card game,the cartoon still airing, games selling like crazy. Fortnite will make more profit in one year than what Pokemon did?

Fortnite payment model is like Pokemon Go. Free2play with micro-transactions. Expect them to do similar stuff in the future. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Ka-pi96 said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

I realize that, I'm referring to development costs for the Switch title which I would imagine eats into profits. 

Surely all of that would be coming out of GameFreak's profits instead though, no?

Always thought it was a joint venture between Nintendo, GameFreak, and Pokémon Company? Pardon my ignorance, not a Pokémon connoisseur by any stretch lol.

Barkley said:
Sad to see Pokémon Go make SO much more money than the games I actually care about.

That's how mobile gaming is nowadays. Hundreds of million (if not billion) people have smartphones compared to consoles or handhelds so there's more potential for investment.

Considering the COD-like sales the games pull in, I was expecting every year to pull in hundreds of millions. Are the games really THAT expensive to make? I'm half expecting gen 8 to bankrupt the company if Pokemon Go dies out.