By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Pokemon Company generated $80.8 million during the last fiscal year

Well that explains Let's Go Pikachu.

Well, this is new.

Read.

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:
It is not so high like as expected? Well it is fine some years were small though considering the merchandise etc.

This is profit, not revenue. I think Nintendo's profit this past year was like $1.6 billion? And they have so many ips and whatnot. Pokemon has basically 1 ip they make money off.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
I wonder if some of the lower profit for FY 20 (compared to FY 19) can be attributed to the Pokemon Switch title forthcoming.

It's lower because the previous year had Pokemon Go launch in it.

Pokemon in the late 2000s wasn’t as big as I thought it was.
Quite frustrating to think that Pokemon Go brought the Pokemon franchise out of stagnation.
And we’re talking about the second best selling gaming franchise in history, just image what the situation is/was for way smaller games. No wonder the AA games market is dying rapidly, especially here in the west.

TheGamer_1995 said:

Pokemon in the late 2000s wasn’t as big as I thought it was.
Quite frustrating to think that Pokemon Go brought the Pokemon franchise out of stagnation.
And we’re talking about the second best selling gaming franchise in history, just image what the situation is/was for way smaller games. No wonder the AA games market is dying rapidly, especially here in the west.

I don't think you can really say that based on these figures. As far as I'm aware The Pokemon Company is primarily merchandise (and in the earlier years didn't even do international merchandise).

The majority of Pokemon profits would probably come from the games (they release every year or 2 and sell crazy good) and that money would go through Nintendo (the publisher) and GameFreak (the developer) rather than The Pokemon Company. ie. The Pokemon Company is only good to see how the franchise is doing outside of the console games.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
konnichiwa said:
It is not so high like as expected? Well it is fine some years were small though considering the merchandise etc.

This is profit, not revenue. I think Nintendo's profit this past year was like $1.6 billion? And they have so many ips and whatnot. Pokemon has basically 1 ip they make money off.

I know but Pokemon is so huge with merchandise the card game,the cartoon still airing, games selling like crazy. Fortnite will make more profit in one year than what Pokemon did?

konnichiwa said:
Dulfite said:

I know but Pokemon is so huge with merchandise the card game,the cartoon still airing, games selling like crazy. Fortnite will make more profit in one year than what Pokemon did?

Probably, yeah. Almost all of the popular microtransaction games should. Not only do they typically attract more people than Pokemon, but microstransactions make an absolute tonne of money.

Don't forget though, Pokemon is a lot more than just The Pokemon Company.

Sad to see Pokémon Go make SO much more money than the games I actually care about.

Wyrdness said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:
I wonder if some of the lower profit for FY 20 (compared to FY 19) can be attributed to the Pokemon Switch title forthcoming.

I realize that, I'm referring to development costs for the Switch title which I would imagine eats into profits. 

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Wyrdness said:

I realize that, I'm referring to development costs for the Switch title which I would imagine eats into profits. 

Surely all of that would be coming out of GameFreak's profits instead though, no?