By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Solo Headed To Become A Flop? Yep, It Flopped.

How Much Will Solo Make WW?

Under $700M 56 60.87%

$700M-$800M 18 19.57%

$801M-$900M 12 13.04%

$901M-$1B 3 3.26%

Over $1B 3 3.26%

Total:92
thismeintiel said:
irstupid said:

You do realize you're probably talking about like 100 people total. Just a small group of actual bigots who have a loud voice on the internet. It's not exclusive to Star Wars either, they will complain and "boycott" other movies. Ignore those 100 people. It's people like you and the media talking about them that are giving them essentially a voice. Ignore them.

99.9% of bashing of the movie is always about the plot, ruining characters, pointless scenes, forced comedy, ect. 99% of the other side of the argument is what you are doing. Calling us bigots and saying we are racists for thinking that 'asian' character sucked ass. We don't give a shit she was Asian. She could have been any race or sex, her character and its arc still sucked ass.

I see people complain all the time about the saving Finn by that 'asian' character (just saying Asian character as it would annoy you and also can't recal her name) during his sacrifice. Yes the whole saving him for love and what not was cringey, but what annoyed me more was the fact that she could save him. From what I recal in the scene, Finn drives straight the entire time at full speed. The others all veered off. So how did she catch up enough to ram him perpendicular? Okay, so I guess he was slowed down by the ramming beam for her to catch up. But then why the heck didn't he get shot down. The empire was like amazing at its accuracy just earlier shooting them down left and right, but then when its just one left and he is in a beeline towards obviously your important item, not only do they never hit him, I don't even think they shoot at him. But let's ignore all that again. Finn and the 'asian' crash and then on foot run all the way to the freaking bunker before these AT'AT's can get close. Like seriously, each step of the AT-AT should cover like 30 yards or more. And I guess the empire again just ignores two people running across and open desert for safety.

I'm going to just stop there for now. I could continue to talk about that ONE scene. The point is, there are many many scenes in the movie that we can spend paragraphs after paragraphs bringing out flaws, stupid things, horrible moments, ect in regards to that movie. Then after our Rant you will come in and say "you're racists for not liking the Asian."

@ bold

You obviously forgot part of that scene, cause it's even dumber than that, lol.  They didn't run back to the base.  Rose passed out after kissing Finn.  Finn actually dragged her ass all the way to the base, which must have taken like 20 mins or more considering how far out they were.  And this was AFTER Kylo gave the order for there to be no survivors.

DarthMetalliCube said:

Just saw the Red Letter Media review of Solo (these guys are top of the list when it comes to movie knowledge so I trust them), very interesting.. They're usually pretty harsh on Star Wars these days, but one guy seemed to love the movie, one disliked it, and one was kind of on the fence. A few other interesting points..

- They said the new actor who plays Solo manages to capture the spirit of Solo while also sort of doing his own thing

- Lando is more of a direct copy with the new actor's performance

- Cinematography is pretty atrocious, hard to see what's going on

- ZERO mention of Lando being "pansexual," this was more than likely just tabloid bs made up by Disney and/or media to bring in clicks and hype for the movie as I suspected.

- The "social justice bot" as they call it is actually so over the top and on the nose in the movie that one of the guys actually believes it exists as sort of a subtle spoof of social justice types.

- movie is fun, but would have been better if it was a side story in the Star Wars universe with another character, using Solo felt unnecessary.

I actually kinda of want to see this movie now lol, though I'm still in no rush and will probably just get around to seeing it a year from now when it ends up on Netflix or Amazon..

To me, it seems more like they went in with the lowest expectations possible, but actually got a mediocre film, instead of straight garbage.  Of course, those type of films usually surprise you when you first see them, but do not stand the test of time.

@ bold

The pansexual thing, at least as they put it, was just a question from a media outlet that Jon Kasden just kinda said sure.  However, even if it started there, that's not how it ended.  Jon continued to push that narrative on social media.  As did Donald Glover.  They are basically confirming that that is canon, now.  And Disney is not disagreeing. 

And while the SJW bot may seem like a parody to anyone who is not one, she is not.  This is Kathleen Kennedy and Jon Kasden we are talking about here, they would not make fun of SJWs, as they are ones themselves. SJWs just love on the nose messages.  Hence the ones found in TLJ.  L3 was supposed to be admired and cheered for.

And that's where the issue is. The pansexual thing might not have been prevalent in this iteration but by making it Canon it leaves the door open to butcher thecharacter in future iterations. Lando was a smooth talking ladies man and. r

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
irstupid said:

You do realize you're probably talking about like 100 people total. Just a small group of actual bigots who have a loud voice on the internet. It's not exclusive to Star Wars either, they will complain and "boycott" other movies. Ignore those 100 people. It's people like you and the media talking about them that are giving them essentially a voice. Ignore them.

99.9% of bashing of the movie is always about the plot, ruining characters, pointless scenes, forced comedy, ect. 99% of the other side of the argument is what you are doing. Calling us bigots and saying we are racists for thinking that 'asian' character sucked ass. We don't give a shit she was Asian. She could have been any race or sex, her character and its arc still sucked ass.

I see people complain all the time about the saving Finn by that 'asian' character (just saying Asian character as it would annoy you and also can't recal her name) during his sacrifice. Yes the whole saving him for love and what not was cringey, but what annoyed me more was the fact that she could save him. From what I recal in the scene, Finn drives straight the entire time at full speed. The others all veered off. So how did she catch up enough to ram him perpendicular? Okay, so I guess he was slowed down by the ramming beam for her to catch up. But then why the heck didn't he get shot down. The empire was like amazing at its accuracy just earlier shooting them down left and right, but then when its just one left and he is in a beeline towards obviously your important item, not only do they never hit him, I don't even think they shoot at him. But let's ignore all that again. Finn and the 'asian' crash and then on foot run all the way to the freaking bunker before these AT'AT's can get close. Like seriously, each step of the AT-AT should cover like 30 yards or more. And I guess the empire again just ignores two people running across and open desert for safety.

I'm going to just stop there for now. I could continue to talk about that ONE scene. The point is, there are many many scenes in the movie that we can spend paragraphs after paragraphs bringing out flaws, stupid things, horrible moments, ect in regards to that movie. Then after our Rant you will come in and say "you're racists for not liking the Asian."

@ bold

You obviously forgot part of that scene, cause it's even dumber than that, lol.  They didn't run back to the base.  Rose passed out after kissing Finn.  Finn actually dragged her ass all the way to the base, which must have taken like 20 mins or more considering how far out they were.  And this was AFTER Kylo gave the order for there to be no survivors.

Ah you're right. I've only seen movie once, so don't have vivid memory of everything. But yea, they were like a mile from base. You know how long that would take dragging someone, lol.

But the thing that makes me most upset about the movie is how it could have been good. They had some good moments, but then each good moment they completely ruined a second later, such as Luke's end part. He had this epic comeback and one is all hyped for the future. But then bam 2 seconds later they kill him off. All hype gone. Or at then end of some scene they toss in a random joke. Like I thought maybe I was being slightly jaded at Disney for their jokes in all their movies, but recently some older fellow started talking star wars new movie. I didn't bring it up. He asked what I thought and I just gave a nonchalant answer really, didn't want to get into a thing depending on his like or dislike, but then he flat out goes wtf was with all those weird jokes they threw in. They didn't fit and were weird.

I recently watched Jeremy Johns try to explain the hate and divide of the movies and fans right now. There was one point that he said that I think really nailed it on the head for me. It no longer feels like a galaxy far far away. Like Poes banter in the beginning, the other current times jokes, the sjw stuff, ect. All those things brought me out of this fantastical universe and made me feel like I was watching a movie with people from Earth in it. Like imagine if in Lord of the Rings they made like a Kardashian joke or something. It would just be horrible. Leave our world stuff out of a fantasy world. Kind of like Marvel movies, they are doing way too much Shrekness in them. You know the pop culture jokes non stop that end up being awkward on future viewings 5 years from now. The only people laughing are nostalgia people. A new watcher 5 years from now will not get joke or think its old and dated.

Another Norway-update, Deadpool 2 beat Solo the week of May 25th-May 31th

First week French numbers. TFA did 3.8 millions viewers, Rogue One did 1.8 millions, Solo did... 531,000. Barely managed to beat DP2 second week, which did 497,000.

Violent flop confirmed here.

StuOhQ said:
I liked TLJ and had no interest in Solo from the start. I'm definitely curious what they'll do with 9, and I'd watch a Kenobi movie.

I do think they're burning us out with annual Star Wars. Every 2 years would be fine by me.

The issue with many business decisions is the short terms gains benefit the people making such decisions, while long term plans benefit the future.  Star Wars appeal was it was an event for many.  Now? It's just another major release within a sea of them.  The idea that a Han Solo movie would lose to a Deadpool movie just four years ago would have been unthinkable.

I think a knock on effect will be other studios will no longer fear Star Wars. It use to be you avoided going up against such a cinematic juggernaut and gave it the first two weeks to dominate. Now I could see another studio putting a major release the same weekend as Obi Wan or Boba Fett movie to see if they can beat it.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
The best thing Disney can do is move past the OT films. Do something set 200 years in the future with completely new characters, completely different conflicts, where you don't have to keep going back to old, tired plots or risk offending fanboys because you didn't do character XYZ justice.

Also the Obi-Wan and Boba Fett movies should be cancelled or at least put on hold for several years. These characters are not interesting or charismatic enough to carry a full movie and are limited in what you can do with them based on the film canon. Too many Star Wars movies oversaturates the brand too much. Finish IX and then focus on a new trilogy that has nothing to do with the OT/PT era, move forward several hundred years in a new part of the galaxy.

I agree and had the same idea since time ago.

That's what episode VII should have been.

Anyway, I also think SW is overexposed now with so many films.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Nymeria said:
StuOhQ said:
I liked TLJ and had no interest in Solo from the start. I'm definitely curious what they'll do with 9, and I'd watch a Kenobi movie.

I do think they're burning us out with annual Star Wars. Every 2 years would be fine by me.

The issue with many business decisions is the short terms gains benefit the people making such decisions, while long term plans benefit the future.  Star Wars appeal was it was an event for many.  Now? It's just another major release within a sea of them.  The idea that a Han Solo movie would lose to a Deadpool movie just four years ago would have been unthinkable.

I think a knock on effect will be other studios will no longer fear Star Wars. It use to be you avoided going up against such a cinematic juggernaut and gave it the first two weeks to dominate. Now I could see another studio putting a major release the same weekend as Obi Wan or Boba Fett movie to see if they can beat it.

Don't forget how well Jumanji did right around TLJ release as well. Star Wars definitely will be facing more competition moving forward

Nymeria said:
StuOhQ said:

No, they will respect the Fett.

Ron Howard's twitter is also a flaming sjw show, as if L3-37 is running it - at some point big companies have to consider putting a social media ban on their contractors or continue to lose hundreds of millions of dollars due to their politics.

numberwang said:

Ron Howard's twitter is also a flaming sjw show, as if L3-37 is running it - at some point big companies have to consider putting a social media ban on their contractors or continue to lose hundreds of millions of dollars due to their politics.

In what way? I haven't looked at his Twitter.