By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4: GOW Exceeded 5 Million Sales In One Month

Im impressed by these figures, they exceed my expectations. Everybody was expecting great sales, but this sounds insane :)

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said: 

But Sony didn't say the game revenue... because it clearly isn't over 400M for those 5M games sold.

And yes, the 5M we heard from Halo 5 was shipped.

Not sure if it's a joke, but since the PS4 beat records sales and the best selling SKU (in value) for April NPD was the GoW Pro limited edition, pretty sure that they did better than 400M.

Faelco said:
DonFerrari said: 

But Sony didn't say the game revenue... because it clearly isn't over 400M for those 5M games sold.

Not sure if it's a joke, but since the PS4 beat records sales and the best selling SKU (in value) for April NPD was the GoW Pro limited edition, pretty sure that they did better than 400M.

Nah he's joking because Microsoft pr have been using basically every metric bar actual paid for sales to judge some games over the past few years. At least that's what I take from dons post. 

Nate4Drake said:
Im impressed by these figures, they exceed my expectations. Everybody was expecting great sales, but this sounds insane :)

10days (at end of april) = 5m+ sold is def. more than most anyone thought it would do.

I really like that it did well though.
Sony needed to prove that Single players arnt dead (after certain people where proclaiming them dead).

Single player games can move numbers, and push hardware sales.
it just has to be a great game.

Kerotan said:
Faelco said:

Nah he's joking because Microsoft pr have been using basically every metric bar actual paid for sales to judge some games over the past few years. At least that's what I take from dons post. 

That's what I thought! There was a good joke about the game's engagement earlier in the thread, this one was a bit less obvious. And on VGChartz, it's easy to doubt... 

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Nate4Drake said:

10days (at end of april) = 5m+ sold is def. more than most anyone thought it would do.

Sony needed to prove that Single players arnt dead (after certain people where proclaiming them dead).

It was in a month period (28 days).

V-r0cK said:
Those are some very impressive numbers. And it'll no doubt continue to grow and have legs because Sony will definitely bundle this in the future.

Sidenote: This should be a great father's day gift to any gamer dad's out there that doesn't have this game yet :D

"Dad of a Boy Edition"

Faelco said:
DonFerrari said: 

Yep I'm joking. Still Sony haven't released any press release about the revenue.

Kerotan said:
Faelco said:

Not only that, but also because some MS fan were saying UC, HZD and GoW weren't as successful as H5 because the SW didn't got 400M revenue as H5 had (while ignoring of course all the HW revenue)

Faelco said:
Kerotan said:

That's what I thought! There was a good joke about the game's engagement earlier in the thread, this one was a bit less obvious. And on VGChartz, it's easy to doubt... 

The engagement one was quite good =]

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Faelco said:
pitzy272 said:

Is superdata accurate? If so, GoW’s numbers are even crazier than I was thinking. Greg Miller on the KFG Daily show for today quoted superdata that GoW—for April alone—did 2.1 mil sales DIGITALLY. And this DOUBLED the previous PS exclusive record holder, which was Uncharted 4. If true, that’s insane.

edit:  found the article:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-05-24-fortnite-god-of-war-break-monthly-revenue-records-superdata

It would match with 5M in April alone. The game was sold out in some places, so a high digital rate was expected. 

So, 5M in 10 days? Really impressive and well deserved. 

LethalP said:
JRPGfan said:

read the guys above I quoted.
1) Its barely been 30days, and it takes time to collect sales data = this means 1month is more likely to mean just April sales.
2) SuperData says it did 2.1m+ sales digitally alone only, in april.  This fits with 5m number being for April (digital + physical).

Unless you have a quote by someone saying that it was 28days he ment?
Im gonna choose to believe it means April (10-11days) of sales = 5m.

DonFerrari said:
V-r0cK said:
Those are some very impressive numbers. And it'll no doubt continue to grow and have legs because Sony will definitely bundle this in the future.

Sidenote: This should be a great father's day gift to any gamer dad's out there that doesn't have this game yet :D

"Dad of a Boy Edition"

Faelco said:

Yep I'm joking. Still Sony haven't released any press release about the revenue.

Kerotan said:

Not only that, but also because some MS fan were saying UC, HZD and GoW weren't as successful as H5 because the SW didn't got 400M revenue as H5 had (while ignoring of course all the HW revenue)

Faelco said:

The engagement one was quite good =]

Don't worry about it. There's no doubt God of war is bigger then halo now 

JRPGfan said:
Faelco said:

It would match with 5M in April alone. The game was sold out in some places, so a high digital rate was expected. 

So, 5M in 10 days? Really impressive and well deserved. 

LethalP said:

read the guys above I quoted.
1) Its barely been 30days, and it takes time to collect sales data = this means 1month is more likely to mean just April sales.
2) SuperData says it did 2.1m+ sales digitally alone only, in april.  This fits with 5m number being for April (digital + physical).

Unless you have a quote by someone saying that it was 28days he ment?
Im gonna choose to believe it means April (10-11days) of sales = 5m.

He said in a "1 month period". That normally refers to 28 days. But you could be right, we don't have clarification. The 2.1 million digital is just for April, which does fit in line with 5 million total (2.9 million physical).