By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should Sony start building it's digital database on PS5?

We all know physical discs are on the decline, even if slowly. So it could be safe to assume that the next PS and Xbox doesn't come with one, though it might, whatever. One thing MS might actually have a head start in, however, is their digital library with 360 and XB games on their current ecosystem. Sony could theoretically do that with their PS1,2,3 and 4 libraries on the PS5. PS4 obviously being the easiest to implament since it will share the same architecture.

Imagine a store like Steam on the PS4 with access to any PS classic you ever played? It would have more games than Steam (or more good games at least). I know a lot of you might say you don't bother with backwards compatability, but don't even think of it as that. It will just be a lexicon of PS games available all in one place any time you need them. I just think having to rely on legally iffy emulators to play old games is quite stupid when in every other medium almost everything is preserved for you to watch or listen to. Gaming needs to get there.

Around the Network

Agreed. We are at the point where we should have access to digital games, from the entire PlayStation catalogue from day one to new releases, on both a Home and Mobile PlayStation device. The PS5 Ecosystem should finally encompass the entire history of the platform, and allow us to access it, whenever, and wherever we are, via Home or Mobile Networks. If that is not the ultimate goal, then I don't even know why we are playing for.

I imagine a point where I can enjoy the PlayStation OS, Software, and Services, in my Home Computer, My Mobile Communication Device, and My Self Driving Car. Regaurdless of which device, the expereince remains the same, simply scaled to whichever device, I am currently using. That is what Digital and Cloud Based content should deliver.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I don't think either Sony or their favorite publishers want backwards capability.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

LethalP said:

I just think having to rely on legally iffy emulators to play old games is quite stupid when in every other medium almost everything is preserved for you to watch or listen to. Gaming needs to get there.

Why do you think, what works for one medium (did it go always well?), can be applied without consequences to another?

Another question: Where is it decided whether a $200m budget movie is a success or a fail?

Hunting Season is done...

You want gaming to move into the all-digital-only-era? One of the main benefits of physical media is that your purchases retain some of their value- or even go up in value- as the years go on. What I'm saying is that I always have the opportunity to sell my games if I wanted some of that money back.

The downside to digital is there is no guarantee it will be available if the ecosystem doesn't thrive. The Wii eShop is going down in less than a year, and all the digital games I purchased are going to be lost.

I'm not an elitist who refuses to buy digital games by any means, but yeah...

Around the Network
LethalP said:

We all know physical discs are on the decline, even if slowly. So it could be safe to assume that the next PS and Xbox doesn't come with one, though it might, whatever. One thing MS might actually have a head start in, however, is their digital library with 360 and XB games on their current ecosystem. Sony could theoretically do that with their PS1,2,3 and 4 libraries on the PS5. PS4 obviously being the easiest to implament since it will share the same architecture.

Imagine a store like Steam on the PS4 with access to any PS classic you ever played? It would have more games than Steam (or more good games at least). I know a lot of you might say you don't bother with backwards compatability, but don't even think of it as that. It will just be a lexicon of PS games available all in one place any time you need them. I just think having to rely on legally iffy emulators to play old games is quite stupid when in every other medium almost everything is preserved for you to watch or listen to. Gaming needs to get there.

As much as we'll go 100% digital at some point, the smart bet is for the PS5 to keep the optical drive.

My only wish is that at the very least they release a version without optical drive, offset by a bigger HDD/SSD maybe. I'd be sure to buy that one instead.

The second Sony goes with a digital-only console is the second I stop gaming on Sony consoles. Sorry, but I don't want to pay $60 for a digital copy, when I can get a physical copy for $45. Why pay $15 more just to have a copy that I can't sell, or trade? I think, the majority of gamers agree with this. A digital-only system would be met with the same backlash as the XB1's disastrous "You can't sell your used games" horsecrap, from back when the XB1 previewed.

But, yes I would love to see Sony put their entire past library up for sale on a digital storefront, even though I already own most of the games as physical. Just keep the option for physical PS5 games there, or I'll jump ship to PC.

That means PS5 have to be able to run these games and it's obvious by now that PS3 is really complicated to emulate. PS NOW was supposed to be their answer to backwards compatibility and it doesn't look like that is working too well right now considering it has only launched in 10 or so countries so far.
Also i don't think we'll get a console without a physical format for a very long time

RaptorChrist said:
You want gaming to move into the all-digital-only-era? One of the main benefits of physical media is that your purchases retain some of their value- or even go up in value- as the years go on. What I'm saying is that I always have the opportunity to sell my games if I wanted some of that money back.

The downside to digital is there is no guarantee it will be available if the ecosystem doesn't thrive. The Wii eShop is going down in less than a year, and all the digital games I purchased are going to be lost.

I'm not an elitist who refuses to buy digital games by any means, but yeah...

you get to keep the games you purchased on the Eshop. Its just that you cant buy more anymore.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

I want my psstore games to be able to pass from console to console