By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Should Sony start building it's digital database on PS5?

Zoombael said:
LethalP said:

I just think having to rely on legally iffy emulators to play old games is quite stupid when in every other medium almost everything is preserved for you to watch or listen to. Gaming needs to get there.

Why do you think, what works for one medium (did it go always well?), can be applied without consequences to another?

Another question: Where is it decided whether a $200m budget movie is a success or a fail?

The ability to play games you have loved over the years can only be a good thing. Why would anyone disagree with that?

Around the Network

I want physical

melbye said:
That means PS5 have to be able to run these games and it's obvious by now that PS3 is really complicated to emulate. PS NOW was supposed to be their answer to backwards compatibility and it doesn't look like that is working too well right now considering it has only launched in 10 or so countries so far.
Also i don't think we'll get a console without a physical format for a very long time

The RPCS3 team (PS3 emulator) ported it to PS4 linux. It actually runs games, albeit at 5 fps. PC's can run it 2 or 3 times faster but then the PS5's Ryzen CPU will be many many times more powerful than the Jaguar in the PS4.  If that is an attempt by some hackers in their bedrooms, then Sony's should be much more successful given that they have the documentation for the Cell processor. The power will easily be there with PS5.

I'm not saying they should do digital only, but it could happen. And if they do BC, it probably won't be physical. Like Steam for PlayStation.

KBG29 said:
Agreed. We are at the point where we should have access to digital games, from the entire PlayStation catalogue from day one to new releases, on both a Home and Mobile PlayStation device. The PS5 Ecosystem should finally encompass the entire history of the platform, and allow us to access it, whenever, and wherever we are, via Home or Mobile Networks. If that is not the ultimate goal, then I don't even know why we are playing for.

I imagine a point where I can enjoy the PlayStation OS, Software, and Services, in my Home Computer, My Mobile Communication Device, and My Self Driving Car. Regaurdless of which device, the expereince remains the same, simply scaled to whichever device, I am currently using. That is what Digital and Cloud Based content should deliver.

when you make stuff available on so many devices. the cash making will increase. but the focus will go down. instead of 10 million people buying a triple A title. you will see more and more people buying smaller games because there are other options

thats the whole idea why we have dedicated gaming consoles. if right now you could get playstatio games on any device. a lot of them would infact sell less.

more money will go around between more people. but less will be focused for AAA games. how many triple A single player games are PC exclusives? none. because they would almost never make any sort of money back.

Last edited by MasterThief - on 23 May 2018

You have to remember that Sony don't have the rights to distribute all the content for a lot of the games on PS1 digitally, that is why they did not come to PS3 PSN in certain regions or at all. Also if there were certain bugs in games they would not distribute them either.
In saying that I would be in favour of combining the current PS4 and PS3 libraries on the next system. I have a lot of content on my PS3, and I don't really want to have 3 consoles in my TV unit.

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
Agreed. We are at the point where we should have access to digital games, from the entire PlayStation catalogue from day one to new releases, on both a Home and Mobile PlayStation device. The PS5 Ecosystem should finally encompass the entire history of the platform, and allow us to access it, whenever, and wherever we are, via Home or Mobile Networks. If that is not the ultimate goal, then I don't even know why we are playing for.

I imagine a point where I can enjoy the PlayStation OS, Software, and Services, in my Home Computer, My Mobile Communication Device, and My Self Driving Car. Regaurdless of which device, the expereince remains the same, simply scaled to whichever device, I am currently using. That is what Digital and Cloud Based content should deliver.

The problem with that is licenses. How many times have we seen old games bastardized because they can't license sound tracks and other things years after the fact? That's the problem with all digital and why physical BC is better because you don't have to put up with all that mess. It's always why we'll never see an all digital BC catalog either. Too much red tape.

LethalP said:
Zoombael said:

Why do you think, what works for one medium (did it go always well?), can be applied without consequences to another?

Another question: Where is it decided whether a $200m budget movie is a success or a fail?

The ability to play games you have loved over the years can only be a good thing. Why would anyone disagree with that?

Cut the sentimentals and reply to what i wrote.

Hunting Season is done...

Zoombael said:
LethalP said:

Cut the sentimentals and reply to what i wrote.

It is already proven that having an extensive digital store of both new and old games can work. Look at Steam.