By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Resident Evil 7 Cloud Version announced for Switch, launches this coming week

I was dissappointed at first but I’m a little more welcoming to the idea now. It really all depends on how good my conection is. If it’s good then I’ll get it. For me Resident Evil is meant to be played at home on a big screen with all of the lights off. Again, it all depends on how good the connection is.

Around the Network
Xxain said:
kirby007 said:

You are probably to young to remember that back in the day there were stores where you rented movies for a week or 24/48 hours, which is also done digitally now by providers. This is exactly the same

I am not too young. I am probably older than you.  I am very well aware that is a digital interpretation of Block Buster, or Hollywood Video. I am wondering why people are bitching about not being able to buy a rented product. I dont think they understand there is no Switch Version. You are simply streaming the PC version. 

So you are playing on the switch with switch controls a pc game. I dont see anything wrong with it

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Interesting, but that's just too much for me to pay to stream a single game. I get that this will allow the full version of the game since any Switch port would need downgrading and would likely get trashed in reviews.

I just can't see this being a success though and I think the negative press they'll receive just isn't worth the few rentals they will get. PS Now works pretty well, offers a huge number of titles and still gets ripped apart every time they do an update. If this was the only way they could reasonably get Resi 7 running on Switch then it would probably be better to leave the game off the Switch entirely.

I can only imagine Capcom are testing the waters for more streaming in the future. It doesn't make sense to invest in streaming one single game.

kirby007 said:
Xxain said:

I am not too young. I am probably older than you.  I am very well aware that is a digital interpretation of Block Buster, or Hollywood Video. I am wondering why people are bitching about not being able to buy a rented product. I dont think they understand there is no Switch Version. You are simply streaming the PC version. 

So you are playing on the switch with switch controls a pc game. I dont see anything wrong with it

Me either. I'm shocked by negative reaction to this. 

Train wreck said:
routsounmanman said:

RE7 sold much less than RE6 and as a franchise, is on decline. MH was a huge surprise, but games like SFV and Marvel vs Capcom surely evened out the profits. Basically, every Capcom game on PC / PS4 / Xbox seems like a huge gamble, either a huge success or a monumental failure.

They are at all time highs with little to no Nintendo titles, they are fine, statements like what you said are so far from the truth.

I hope this ends the whole capcom need Nintendo debate. Their main aim I presume is ps4 and mobile market. After that it will be xbox and pc. They've never done better then they are right now. People have been calling them capgods this year for a reason. 

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Train wreck said:

They are at all time highs with little to no Nintendo titles, they are fine, statements like what you said are so far from the truth.

I hope this ends the whole capcom need Nintendo debate. Their main aim I presume is ps4 and mobile market. After that it will be xbox and pc. They've never done better then they are right now. People have been calling them capgods this year for a reason. 

I wasnt going to jump into this discussion, but what you said is far from the truth.Ill just get this out of the way first:Capcom dosent need Nintendo, but he dosent NEED Sony, Microsoft or PC either.Capcom is one of those companies that have found success both at Sony and Nintendo, and mild success in other systems(Im not including mobile on this because Im not really informed on that front).For every MHW and RE 7 Capcom had this gen, they had a SF 5 and a Dead Rising 4.So success and failure came were about the same for Capcom with regards to PS4.As for Nintendo, MH was a huge success there, which needed a far inferior budget than MHW had to have, resulting in a more lower risk involvement.Not only that, but its smaller franchises, like Phoenix Wright, saw consistent but good sales on Nintendo systems.And even the RE games that were eventually made for Nintendo systems were successes.But neither of them(excluding MH) were monsters in terms of sales.

So neither you or the other user are correct, but rather the truth is in the middle.But thats just the point:Why Capcom would throw away, or leave it to the sidelines at the very least, on a company(a combination of systems) that gives them such a consistent influx of money?Its simply a stupid decision, whichever way you want to see it.Capcom should be focusing on Sony and Nintendo, not just one.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

I can't fathom why people are outraged about this idea when it would allow games that couldn't be run of the Switch to be played ... (FFXV, KH3, MHW or whatever titles Nintendo fans keep dreaming about)

Can't own the games ? So what ?! It either wasn't going to run on the native hardware or it would've taken too much investment to get it's own working version ...

Hiku said:
DonFerrari said: -Snip-
Analysis I saw have that PS4 runs at stable rock 60fps. So if 60fps is what PSVR is doing then that is no change that would need reduction in the other parts of the game. So that is why I asked if it was running at 120.

VR mode requires more processing power than standard non-VR/TV mode.

I haven't seem anything that shows that simply by being VR it drains more processing power (although our basis of comparison is minimal since not many AAA games are made VR), but yes they need 60fps to run fine.
Let's say they tried VR mode with no change to the visuals. And instead of 60fps, it ran at 20-25fps. Sony said that 60fps is a minimum for VR, and it may not drop below 60fps at all. So in order to reach a steady 60fps for VR mode, they lower the visual quality to the point where it never drops below 60fps in VR mode.

That is a high assumption since from what I seem after you pointed first PS4 already got 60fps almost ever, and the cuts weren't so severe that it would double the framerates. I suspect it was more to completely avoid drops sub 60fps on more demanding sections and the fact that perhaps as you said it rendering in VR (which possible have higher FOV) demanded enough more that they had to cut in other portions. Although from what I saw as I said, the cuts aren't that significant and most of the complains are more likely pixel density that the person didn't quite understood.

That's seemingly why they reduced the visual quality in VR, unless you have a more plausible theory?

Also, I originally thought it was running at a rocksteady 60f on both PS4 and XBO, but I now read that it had framedrops on XBO. I don't know for sure, but if you're really curious I'm sure Digital Foundry have a video on it.

I have read the DF analysis, with PS4 and PS4Pro being rock solid, X1 dropping to 50 something in some areas but X1X being solid besides a single portion that goes to mid 50.

DonFerrari said:
I'm not disputing that the graphics were tonned down, as that was one main complain of the port (and another reason on why it shouldn't be done for Switch). And also I said that it's quite possible that several of the downgrade on the graphics have more to do with the PSVR capabilities as a screen than the processing power of PS4 (of course we wouldn't be sure)

Then what exactly were you disagreeing with me on, based on what I said? And why?

I was disputing the level of the cutdown, first because that would show how much space was for also put on Switch and how much some complained about it even on VR.

And yeah, VR mode requires more processing power mainly because of the additional output towards two separate screens. (Your character's body is also gone in VR mode, and you only have two floating arms.)

Each of the screems is somewhat half fullHD so I don't think that is a major draw (although I can believe it takes a hit).
All I said was basically that Resident Evil 7 is designed to scale down the graphics pretty heavily. Because we see it do this in VR mode. Meaning it's not a question of whether or not it can be done. Which is often a question when it comes to the possibility of a Switch port. (At least with acceptable results)
That is the point of dispute the "scale down the graphics pretty heavily", I didn't see any indication of it being heavy and when I played on PS4Pro it was quite acceptable for ME.
And on the note of what's acceptable, at least Capcom found it acceptable for it to look like that in VR. What consumers think is acceptable can vary from person to person. Capcom may be able to make it look better on Switch than it does in VR for all I know. All Im saying is, this game was designed to be scaled down significantly. Not all games are like that on console. When they work on a game for say PS4 and XBO, they have two sets of specifications to work with. They may create a car chase with 6 cars and 2 trains colliding, and make it work on both systems.
But then they get a request to port the game to a significantly weaker device, and find that for this particular scene, they'd have to downscale the graphics so much that it wouldn't look acceptable. So they have to actually reduce the amount of cars in the car chase scene instead.
Yes there are many ways to fit the processing budget, the point is we don't really know how much scalability there is in it, and how much would cost them. I'm not ready to assume Capcom is run by morons who wouldn't see - OW we have the game already made on the assets for PSVR, just cut the fps to half and we are almost set for Switch and just decide not to do it and instead make a stream.
Just an example, but that's a plausible scenario that developers can face when porting games that weren't designed to be scaled down from the get go. For some games they can work it out. But it's not a given that it's not problematic or costly. Some people think that as long as something runs on an engine like Unreal Engine 4 that's scale-friendly, it's always a straight forward task, but it's not. It depends on how they designed the game to work.

DonFerrari said:
It isn't just cutting down the 60fps, but also the graphics and as said before the drop in visual quality was complained a lot for the PSVR version.

I know, and the game runs at the highest common resolution on PS4, 1080p. Which means there's room for performance saving there as well for a potential Switch version by lowering it.

Basically, if a game runs at 60f and high resolution on PS4, chances of a Switch port are greater than say if it struggles to reach 30f on PS4 and already runs at 720p.

On that I would say we both agree. That if something runs 1080p60fps there is a possibility for a 720p30fps port (which may or may not be feasible case by case)

DonFerrari said:
Sorry for barking at the wrong tree then. But still without really knowing the code and how much work would be needed to port, it's just an assumption that they could just cut down and have a good result. Thing is I guess they would do it if it was that easy, even more because that would probably mean less expense to make the port than starting the server and charging 1/3 the price.

I often use the term "presumably" or "seemingly" as to not confuse my opinions or presumptions with fact, as if I work for Capcom.
It is an assumption, but I presented my reasoning behind it. I don't know what "that" easy means exactly, but what the port will cost isn't always related to technical difficulties but more about logistics. As in if they already have their teams working on other games, such as Resident Evil 2 Remake and/or RE8, then they may have to offload this work on a team that is already trying to meet the deadline for another game, or outsource it. Either way could cost them more money or problems than it may be worth at this particular time.
It's also possible that they want to test this cloud infrastructure for other possible games in the future, and find that RE7 would be a good choice.

Fair enough. Cost of opportunity is something most gamers don't consider, and as you said perhaps on their calculations the amount of resources needed and the revenue they would get is less than keeping their teams on current projects or even hiring extra staff.

Sorry if it seemed that I was implying this. I was talking more about your solution would be counter by what we usually see in the site.

I see. Yeah, I'm aware that people are split about these sort of things. Some accept visual downgrades, others do not. Some think the cloud solution is worse than nothing at all, others find it interesting, or better than nothing, etc.

I know everyone can't be pleased. I was just trying to look at this from Capcom's point of view, and what they may want to do, or what they possibly could do.

Fair enough. I think it's safe to assume Capcom wants to make money and expending as less as possible as any company does, and if they came to this solution they probably think this have the highest revenue or at least profit between available options.

DonFerrari said:
I wasn't intended to being snark or anything. As I said I haven't seem anything about the downgrades of PSVR for RE7 so I was curious to check, and since you didn't gave the links I had to look at it. But there isn't anything quantifiable, just some reviews pointing out the downgrades, which of course don't help us determine how much leeway there is for the cut to make the port.

I didn't know you hadn't seen what RE7 looked like in VR mode. I thought you were specifically asking if it ran at 120fps, and after I said that I didn't quite understand a portion of your comment, you replied with "I'm still waiting for an answer" even though I tried to give you an answer based on what I thought you were asking for. So saying "I'm still waiting for the link" even though you knew I was confused about what you were asking for came off as snarky. I usually only say that to someone after they intentionally avoid even acknowledging a question I've asked several times. And not because of confusion, but rather because they don't want to answer.
I had seem, I played a little of it (borrowed to play more). But I didn't see any comparisons. I didn't notice you were confused about what I was asking about.
Anyway, there's nothing specifically quantifyable. But knowing that the game is designed to be scaled down pretty noticeably, and there is a frame rate and resolution they save performance on significantly, makes a port look more plausible than most PS4 games that are usually the focus of discussion where we don't know the scalability, and the game already struggles to hit 30f.

But anyway I agree that if Capcom wanted they could make a 720p30fps, just needing to know how much more they would need to cut is what we don't know and it is safe to assume it could look similar to PSVR assets but in 720p.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

fatslob-:O said:
I can't fathom why people are outraged about this idea when it would allow games that couldn't be run of the Switch to be played ... (FFXV, KH3, MHW or whatever titles Nintendo fans keep dreaming about)

Can't own the games ? So what ?! It either wasn't going to run on the native hardware or it would've taken too much investment to get it's own working version ...

For 1/3 of what others paid for the release on the other platforms.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

For 1/3 of what others paid for the release on the other platforms.

Pricing is another argument altogether. In the end, Switch owners get access to the game and that's what should matter the most ... 

Owning high end AAA games is a luxury that can only be afforded for home console and PC users ...