By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Resident Evil 7 Cloud Version announced for Switch, launches this coming week

routsounmanman said:
CuCabeludo said:

You talk like we have reached the limit for internet speed and in 10-15-20 years it will the same as today.

20 years ago we were playing at 480p. By the time 4k @ 60fps is streamable, 16 or even 32K will be the norm.

Think like this. My internet speed today is now over 90 - 100 times faster than exactly 20 years ago when I was able to have internet at home for the first time. And the price adjusted for inflation is about the same. I barely was capable of loading sites with too much animations and now I watch Netflix at 4K.

Cloud gaming is still doing its first baby steps. But 20 years from now, it will a totally different beast.

Last edited by CuCabeludo - on 21 May 2018

Around the Network
twintail said:
killeryoshis said:
When I first heard of this I thought it was a joke. Are they so desperate to put this game on Switch and show that they are supporting it by doing this? Making a stream only game defeats the purpose of putting it on the Switch since it is not as portable. They are probably better off just porting Resident Evil 1-6 at this point.

This is such a non issue in Japan. 

I don't really know what people think of this is in Japan and do not pretend to. They can be unpredictable over there unless you actually live there. Despite this, I still think this is still a problem outside of Japan. What goes on there will eventually happen here. Who is to say this won't be released here the same way?  The problem isn't so much that is available for streaming the problem is that it is only available for streaming. If I could actually buy that then there would be no outcry but there is no other option so an outcry is needed. 

JSG87 said:

It's the exact same thi g with splatoon 2 though no? Unless you are playing the campaign the majority of it is online.

The difference is that I could buy Splatoon 2 and own it. I could play it unlimited times for as long as I want. If I want to sell it or lend it to someone I can. The problem is that there is no ownership with this. I am basically paying for a glorified rental. Rentals are nice but if I am given no option to buy the game that it just feels pointless to me. Splatoon 2 is a game I own. Resident Evil 7 is just a glorified rental. If they gave us an option to stream or buy I would not care but that is not the case here.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Guys

This is not a port. You are renting a game. You are steaming that game. Why is buying something even a thing in this thread? How can buy something that does not exist?

kirby007 said:
Its baffling how many miss the fact aside it being a port, how groundbreaking this is. This could mean the end of hardware cycles as we know it if this works well.

Yep, you could essentially play any game on the switch and even phones too. Specs wouldn't matter anymore.

Xxain said:

Guys

This is not a port. You are renting a game. You are steaming that game. Why is buying something even a thing in this thread? How can buy something that does not exist?

You are probably to young to remember that back in the day there were stores where you rented movies for a week or 24/48 hours, which is also done digitally now by providers. This is exactly the same

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

If this takes off you can bet that Monster Hunter world will be next

kirby007 said:
Xxain said:

Guys

You are probably to young to remember that back in the day there were stores where you rented movies for a week or 24/48 hours, which is also done digitally now by providers. This is exactly the same

I am not too young. I am probably older than you.  I am very well aware that is a digital interpretation of Block Buster, or Hollywood Video. I am wondering why people are bitching about not being able to buy a rented product. I dont think they understand there is no Switch Version. You are simply streaming the PC version. 

kirby007 said:
"Its baffling how many miss the fact aside it being a port, how groundbreaking this is. This could mean the end of hardware cycles as we know it if this works well."

I agree. In perhaps less than a decade, between fiber to the home and the rolllout of 5G, internet speeds and latency will probably be to the place where companies can roll out very inexpensive "consoles" that only stream games. Or it could be that the average "normal" computer people already own will be able to stream top-tier games. I don't know that it 100% replaces more expensive traditional consoles, because of rural areas and differences between countries, but it could represent a huge change.

brandon1546 said:

kirby007 said:
"Its baffling how many miss the fact aside it being a port, how groundbreaking this is. This could mean the end of hardware cycles as we know it if this works well."

I agree. In perhaps less than a decade, between fiber to the home and the rolllout of 5G, internet speeds and latency will probably be to the place where companies can roll out very inexpensive "consoles" that only stream games. Or it could be that the average "normal" computer people already own will be able to stream top-tier games. I don't know that it 100% replaces more expensive traditional consoles, because of rural areas and differences between countries, but it could represent a huge change.

I believe cloud gaming will be a good deal in the coming years for people who like pc gaming, have a decent internet, but can't afford a high end gaming pc. So they can pay an affordable price for a service that allows them to play very demanding PC games in a shitty laptop.

Hiku said:
DonFerrari said:

If the game run at 60fps on TV and PSVR then you don't need to cut the graphics to reach framerate on PSVR as you claimed.

I said "presumably" which is different than making a claim. Though I can't think of any other reason why they'd scale down the visuals if not to maintain a certain performance framerate wise.
As for "if the game runs at 60f in VR, then you don't need to cut the graphics to reach that framerate in VR" , you would if it only runs at the desired framerate in VR because visuals were toned down.

Analysis I saw have that PS4 runs at stable rock 60fps. So if 60fps is what PSVR is doing then that is no change that would need reduction in the other parts of the game. So that is why I asked if it was running at 120.

DonFerrari said:
I'm waiting for this "a lot" to be displayed in numbers.

You asked me "Does it run at 120fps in PSVR?" When you asked for a link, I answered "I don't know what framerate it runs at."

If you wanted specifications for resolution/graphics, you'll have to be clear on that. Especially when I said I didn't understand what you meant by "wouldn't change", nor why you brought it up when that was seemingly besides any point I made in my post.

However, it seems that you are contesting the notion that RE7's visuals are significantly scaled down in VR mode? If so, then I understand how that is relevant to what I said. But I thought it was common knowledge because this is a case where the downgrade is immediately noticeable that it looks considerably worse in VR.

I'm not disputing that the graphics were tonned down, as that was one main complain of the port (and another reason on why it shouldn't be done for Switch). And also I said that it's quite possible that several of the downgrade on the graphics have more to do with the PSVR capabilities as a screen than the processing power of PS4 (of course we wouldn't be sure)

DonFerrari said:
The very minority of games on PS4 are 60 fps, so don't count on many games being on Switch... as I said it's funny that when before 60fps was totally necessary but now it is better to go to 30fps instead of using cloud even before seeing if it will work well.

What's funny is that I didn't say or think any of this.

I said that this is one of those games that appear to have the makings of being port friendly for Switch. Because it has a 60fps that can be cut in half, as they've commonly done with the few PS4 ports we've seen. And that the game is already designed to scale down the visuals, as it does in VR mode.

It isn't just cutting down the 60fps, but also the graphics and as said before the drop in visual quality was complained a lot for the PSVR version.

And you're really barking up the wrong tree with "The very minority of games on PS4 are 60 fps, so don't count on many games being on Switch... " because I've spent a fair share of time here explaining to people why it's unlikely that a particular PS4 game can be ported to Switch with acceptable results just because "Snake Pass works and it runs in UE4", or why downscaling games isn't always as easy as people think it is, if a game isn't designed to be scaled down in the first place. If it's not, you may have to remove assets from the game, which can cause problems if they're crucial to the experience.

Sorry for barking at the wrong tree then. But still without really knowing the code and how much work would be needed to port, it's just an assumption that they could just cut down and have a good result. Thing is I guess they would do it if it was that easy, even more because that would probably mean less expense to make the port than starting the server and charging 1/3 the price.

I also don't think Switch will get many PS4 ports, nor do I own a Switch for that matter.

And I certainly didn't say that 30f is "better" than using the cloud. Owning the game, and streaming it is too different to boil it down to which is 'better' in that regard. I even said earlier in this topic that I find this interesting because we may see titles on Switch this way that normally couldn't be ported to Switch with acceptable results. I just don't see how RE7 is one of those games.

You're either implying that I said or think these things, or your communication skills are such that you didn't consider adding "I know that you didn't say or think any of this, but other people..."

Sorry if it seemed that I was implying this. I was talking more about your solution would be counter by what we usually see in the site.
In either case, I'd prefer if you refrain from doing this in the future, because it's a waste of my time having to explain myself over something I didn't say or think, just because you seemingly presume that someone is of a particular mindset on the entire issue, just because they disagreed with the contents of one post regarding one portion of it. Or because of a humorous tweet, if that's what set you off. If you had read my previous posts, you would have seen that I found this technology interesting, and I was defending it when people said "having nothing is better than having this".

Maybe you're incapable of pointing out something you find incorrect, for the sake of being fair/accurate, while still agreeing with the overall subject, or even joking about it, and that's why you went off on a tangent here.
But in the future, if you're asking me to google something for you that's very easy to find, at least specify what exactly you wanted to know, rather than be snarky about it later, after I specifically said I didn't understand why you said something. And either don't put words in my mouth, or imply it by neglecting to mention that you're not talking about me.

I wasn't intended to being snark or anything. As I said I haven't seem anything about the downgrades of PSVR for RE7 so I was curious to check, and since you didn't gave the links I had to look at it. But there isn't anything quantifiable, just some reviews pointing out the downgrades, which of course don't help us determine how much leeway there is for the cut to make the port.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."