By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I Hope Pokemon Switch Fixes the Washed Out Colors of the 3DS Pokemon

The models in the 3DS Pokemon games are pretty great apart from one big flaw. The colors are all washed out and de-saturated. Normally I associate Pokemon games as being some what bright and colourful but the style direction for the models they took in the 3DS games left something to be desired.

Do you agree? Or do you prefer the less saturated look?

Around the Network

I didn't even notice until I saw this thread haha. It's fine as is but I'd be down for more vibrancy.

EDIT: They may be doing that in Pokemon Let's Go if this model leak be real.

Last edited by Lonely_Dolphin - on 20 May 2018

How about just better models and animation in general. 3D models lack the energy of their sprite countersparts.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
I didn't even notice until I saw this thread haha. It's fine as is but I'd be down for more vibrancy.

EDIT: They may be doing that in Pokemon Let's Go if this model leak be real.

I think it's only really a problem to me in the most extreme scenarios:

But there is definitely a consistent trend on the whole of the models being less colourful than their sprites were. It didn't help that the 3DS didn't have the best quality screen in the world either.

Edit: And yeah that Pikachu model definitely gives me hope. I mean it's the same model at heart, but the styling and colours are so much better than this:

Last edited by Green098 - on 20 May 2018

I HATE when people say this.

The models are NOT washed out - the old sprites were just WAY over saturated.

The new color pallet is made to better match the official artwork.

Around the Network
spemanig said:

It doesn't really matter if the pokemon were originally intended to be less colorful.

They ARE washed out compared to the DS sprites and i do hope gamefreak makes them more colorful in the next game.

I definitely prefer the saturated versions in the OP.

shikamaru317 said:
spemanig said:

I don't know about the official artwork, but they certainly don't match the anime artwork.

After 5 generations of games and many seasons of anime with the more vibrant colors, you don't just go and change the in-game character models to better match official artwork that is over a decade old. They waited far too late to do it, people had already got used to the darker colors so it was a jarring change for many. 

Reminds of a situation that I noticed in the gen 4 anime.

Pikachu generally looked much more washed out and pale than he used to in it, and then they fixed the colours in the gen 5 anime and so on:

Diamond and Pearl Series:

Black and White Series:

Last edited by Green098 - on 20 May 2018

I guess Pokémon Switch will have 3D-models and will look similar to Pokken.

Edit:

Or they will look like Detective Pikachu.

Last edited by baloofarsan - on 20 May 2018

This is one of my most wanted changes too, but I can see Game freak just using the high-res 3ds model they have now