By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Did Santa Monica deliberately tinify subtitles to deter youtube/twitch viewers from watching God of War?

?

Yes they did it to get mo... 3 10.34%

It was an accident, BOI! 5 17.24%

Nice conspiracy theory th... 18 62.07%

Don't care, no subtitles for life! :p 3 10.34%

Total:29

I know it's a bit bad for the ones who actually bought the game and have poor eyesight but maybe this is a necessary evil to clamp down on sales that is heavy on the narrative side.

If someone asks why I'm using an alt account, CGI and Truckusaurus got me a temp approval until I get my iconic and notorious "kurasakiichimaru" account back. :p

Around the Network
kurasakiichimaruALT said:

I know it's a bit bad for the ones who actually bought the game and have poor eyesight but maybe this is a necessary evil to clamp down on sales that is heavy on the narrative side.

Forgot your tin-foil hat?

They most likely did it because developers sit in front of monitors instead of 15 feat from their TVs like seemingly some players do.

shikamaru317 said:
There's an option in the settings to increase their size. It's the fault of the Youtubers and streamers for not properly setting up before their videos imo, barely any of them checked the options menu and fixed it before playing.

Well that killed this thread rather quickly

Small text or interface in games have been a norm for some years now.

No

Predicted 15+ million lifetime-sales for God of War:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=234612&page=1

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
There's an option in the settings to increase their size. It's the fault of the Youtubers and streamers for not properly setting up before their videos imo, barely any of them checked the options menu and fixed it before playing.

This was patched in later. The patch with the options for journal text size just came like today.

Doesn't you tube allow you to overlay your own subtitle track to you can leave the image free of text? Of course that would involve a little bit of effort, millennials...

It's nothing new. I couldn't read the text in the original Dead rising and half the objective info disappeared in the overscan area. Games have options for sound, why not a screen size / distance calibration as well.

Seems a highly-speculative suspicion.

Probably not.

Mar1217 said:
I guess Xenoblade Chronicles X was guilty of that too then ... c'mon man ...

I'm so glad XC2 bumped the text size. XCX was a pain to play handheld only. The visuals were MUCH sharper than 2, though. I actually created a video on the poor PQ of Xenoblade 2.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7