By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I love how Nintendo is handling their retro games on the Switch

It seems to me that people are complaining about the Virtual Console not being on the Switch just because they got attached to that brand. If you make the math, you'll see that what they're offering now is much more worth it.

On the Wii U, NES cost between 5 and 6 dollars. If you wanted to have 20 games, you'd have to spend at least 100 bucks.

Now, with the Nintendo Switch Online, you pay 20 dollars/year (around $1.70/month) to have 20 NES games with added online functionalities (and they're promising to expand the library even further). It's as if each game costs 1 dollar/year (around 8 cents/month).

And that's ignoring the "exclusive offers for members" that still have to be fleshed out.

I don't think it's perfect, obviously. The voice chat and cloud saves aren't the way I wanted them to be, but imo people are making a mountain out of a molehill, as usual.

B O I

Around the Network

People just love to whine for the sake of whining.

Remember when we had to buy the same retro games on WiiU and 3DS after Wii's massive and superior retro game library? (except for 50hz)

I much rather pay a yearly service and get access to all the games at once as long as it doesn't turn into a Netflix case where some games are temporary and or exclusive deals and get removed because of the competition.

Yeah I agree this new model is sooooo much better for Switch owners than what the Virtual Console is. It amazes m that anyone is complaining. All they did was change the branding and they're giving us a MUCH better deal. Instead of paying what like $5 per NES game, $6 per SNES game, and $10 per n64 game, we're gonna get a load of all those games for only $20/year. This is so so much cheaper I can't believe Nintendo isn't charging $40 or $50 a year for online. This is a ridiculous steal. We are eventually gonna have a large library of NES/SNES/N64 (and I guess probably DS games since Wii U had them) for only $20 a year.

And if you only ever buy 1 or 2 VC games per system then why are you complaining, obviously if you only buy a couple games you don't care about the VC very much, so that is a made up reason to complain.

Let's say 5 years of Switch online and you get (besides online multiplayer) access to every single game of what will eventually be dozens and dozens of NES/SNES/N64/DS games for a total of $100. You've realllllly gotta make a stretch to complain about that.

I'm not interested in nes games and most of the kids who own a switch probably aren't gonna play them either. Those who are interested are probably old people who already played them.

I have pretty much all of the retro games I could possibly want on my 3DS. This doesn't really concern me, I guess. I do understand the dilemma it could cause for other people. Especially people who (like me) prefer to buy things digitally and feel like they own them rather than pay a fee and feel like there's a time limit to when they can play.

Around the Network

Well my attachment to the Virtual Console doesn't come from a love of the brand, it mostly comes from the fact that I've spent a good amount of money to purchase most of the NES, SNES and N64 titles I was interested in back in the Wii days. Virtual Console not coming back means I can forget about accessing all those titles I've already paid money for on my Switch.

That being said, I don't think Nintendo's online service is overpriced for what it is. I'd have paid the $20 solely for Smash's online without the bonus NES games.

Signature goes here!

im mainly interested in how online will be useful with some of the titles they've mentioned so far

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

I don't, I'm not interested in crappy NES games, yet I'm being forced to pay for them if I wanna play many of my Switch games.

Slownenberg said:
Yeah I agree this new model is sooooo much better for Switch owners than what the Virtual Console is. It amazes m that anyone is complaining. All they did was change the branding and they're giving us a MUCH better deal. Instead of paying what like $5 per NES game, $6 per SNES game, and $10 per n64 game, we're gonna get a load of all those games for only $20/year. This is so so much cheaper I can't believe Nintendo isn't charging $40 or $50 a year for online. This is a ridiculous steal. We are eventually gonna have a large library of NES/SNES/N64 (and I guess probably DS games since Wii U had them) for only $20 a year.

And if you only ever buy 1 or 2 VC games per system then why are you complaining, obviously if you only buy a couple games you don't care about the VC very much, so that is a made up reason to complain.

Let's say 5 years of Switch online and you get (besides online multiplayer) access to every single game of what will eventually be dozens and dozens of NES/SNES/N64/DS games for a total of $100. You've realllllly gotta make a stretch to complain about that.

It hasn't been confirmed yet if we're getting anything beyond NES.

Ka-pi96 said:

And if you don't want all 20 of those games but only want 1 or 2? Well now you're paying more (and for ever, if you want to retain access to them) than you would for just buying 1 or 2 VC games. So instead of $5 or $6 as a one off purchase it's now $20 per year, every year for 1 game. Hooray for getting ripped off.

Besides that, what if you don't want NES games? What if you want N64 or DS games like the Wii U VC had? Where are those?

Be patient. They will be coming in the form of $60 ports. Part of Nintendo's new ''Virtual Console branding''. 

Ka-pi96 said:

And if you don't want all 20 of those games but only want 1 or 2? Well now you're paying more (and for ever, if you want to retain access to them) than you would for just buying 1 or 2 VC games. So instead of $5 or $6 as a one off purchase it's now $20 per year, every year for 1 game. Hooray for getting ripped off.

Besides that, what if you don't want NES games? What if you want N64 or DS games like the Wii U VC had? Where are those?

I don't want to create a console war, but in a way is similar to the PS+

Every month there are a few games for free which you might not want or you already have, it's basically the same. Or you might get lucky that one game you want makes it to the list on a particular month, but it's pure luck.

I think it's something we have to deal with subscriptions based programs.

Nintendo and PC gamer