By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Cloud Saving is coming to Nintendo Switch! And more...

I wanted SNES games, Nintendo !!!!

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

Around the Network

Sounds good for $20 a year, adding online functionality to old games is a feature I actually like a lot.

However, it's still worrisome that no 'normal' VC has been announced. If Nintendo wants to have online features for old games, fine, but at least complement it with a standard VC, otherwise it will take way too long for games to be be released, plus the library will be very limited.

Nintendo and PC gamer

twintail said:
Cloudman said:

I hope that's not the case, cuz that would just really suck.

It would.

But honestly the biggest offender here is the online communication aspect sucks for a paid service

I don't really chat in any online games, but yeah, it's still pretty awful of a service for something that is so easy to do.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:

Ultravolt said:

I believe cloud saving is locked behind a subscription on the other consoles as well. On the bright side, it's significantly cheaper on Switch. Also, I think 20 NES games at launch is pretty good, but I would've liked to see some SNES, N64, and Gamecube titles.

If that's the case, then I can't really pin the blame on Nintendo if it's a standard now.

Though unlike on PS4/XB1, this is the only way to back up your saves, so it still comes across as shady to me.

Yerm said:
hoping for some of that good Classic Edition emulation. the Wii U NES emulator was kinda garbage

You could always go to Ebay and get the real deal. That's what I did. I hardly ever play emulated classics.

Around the Network
osed125 said:
Sounds good for $20 a year, adding online functionality to old games is a feature I actually like a lot.

However, it's still worrisome that no 'normal' VC has been announced. If Nintendo wants to have online features for old games, fine, but at least complement it with a standard VC, otherwise it will take way too long for games to be be released, plus the library will be very limited.

But if they let you buy them for five dollars a piece, what would draw you into paying for a sub? Their thinking is, use the NES (and eventual SNES, N64 etc.) games as a carrot to lure people into paying for online. It's a good old fashioned paywall.

will be interesting, hopefully they reveal more details soon on how cloud saves work on Nintendo and what will be backed up.

Lonely_Dolphin said:

Though unlike on PS4/XB1, this is the only way to back up your saves, so it still comes across as shady to me.

Wait, what?  You're kidding?  That's ... interesting.

Anyway, "Nintendo Switch Online" is an odd choice for a name.  You'd usually want your service to form a stand-alone shell that could connect different consoles without worrying about name changes.  PSN is PSN regardless of the device being used, for example.  Perhaps that means "Switch" is going to be around for a long time? 

I'm calling a "Switch 2 Nintendo!" slogan right now.

I am looking forward to playing Super Mario Bros. 3 and Balloon Fight online. Cloud saves are okay I guess but I don't really care about it tbh.

pokoko said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Wait, what?  You're kidding?  That's ... interesting.

Anyway, "Nintendo Switch Online" is an odd choice for a name.  You'd usually want your service to form a stand-alone shell that could connect different consoles without worrying about name changes.  PSN is PSN regardless of the device being used, for example.  Perhaps that means "Switch" is going to be around for a long time? 

I'm calling a "Switch 2 Nintendo!" slogan right now.

It's probably just because the 3DS still exist and (thankfully) doesn't use the same online. There's also the hope that their next system will have a new service that at the very least has the most basic of features and doesn't require a silly smartphone set-up.