By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have we reached the golden age of gaming, 2015-2020 and beyond?

2014-2020 and beyond the golden age of gaming...

Yes. 9 16.67%

No. 40 74.07%

Maybe, I haven't though much about into it. 5 9.26%

Total:54
John2290 said:

It was mid 2015 when things started firing on all cylinders, specifically the release of The witcher 3. Things have been poppin ever since, consistently on an ever rising incline of epicness and it has yet to reach it's climax. 

You like The Witcher 3, we get it. Lol... But attributing The Witcher 3 as the influx of "great games" so to speak, is tall talk. It takes more than just highly rated games to consider the era in which they fall under as "The Golden Age" of gaming. 

Around the Network

Depends on personal taste.

For me it was 1995-2005/8

somewhere there

John2290 said:
Zoombael said:

Then you haven't played (enough) pre 6th gen games.

Show me the games allegedly rival the depth, variety, quality and have the je ne sais quoi of a Secret of Evermore/Mana, SuperDoubleDragon, Shadowrun, Spindizzyworlds, KingArthursWorld, Cybernator, Flashback, Utopia, SimCity, Populous, FinalFight, Rock n Roll Racing, Mechwarrior (SNES), Metal Marines, Castlevania, Road Rash, Desert/Jungle Strike, StreetFighter/MortalKombat/Samurai Showdown etc (is there actually a good fighting game by indie?), ZombiesAteMyNeighbours, Super Bomberman, Earthworm Jim, Another World, Blackthorne, Super Turrican, Syndicate, Breath of Fire III, etc.

This is an incomplete list of 5th gen games i personally owned and played extensively. Not necessarily a 10/10, 9/10 or even 7/10. I didn't include Nintendo titles, and are you sure you meant pre sixth gen? Because this would include Playstation and N64 and would make the list of games substantially longer.

"rival anything". Any-thing. No one aware of the spectrum of games available pre 6gen would say such a thing.

Yes I say such a thing because amongst the shit just like back then the quality of indies, mobile games and steam indies are waaaay higher. Games like Ori, Transister, Pyre, inside, Dust elysium tail, Axium verge,  Resogun, Nexmachina, The witness, oxenfree, thumper,undertale, darkest dungeon....Hellblade senuas sacrifice is an indie ffs. VR games like blasters of the universe, Superhot,, Moss.....shit this list would be 20 or 30 atrong just from VR alone before I finish andI've BARLEY scratched the surface of 2d games. And mobiles games like moument valley, Plague inc, Riptideor games that are completely free like Reaper, Hearthstone, DK, FF exodus...they might not be the greatest games by our opinions but their popularity can't be denied. 

Maybe of these games trump even my best from pre 5th gen. Super Mario bros 3, A co op game of Double dragon and california games probably being my top three and only Super mario 3 can hold a candle to many of the indies today. Sheer quality has been upped a hundred fold and tech has allowed for much, much more diversity in gameplay and the length instead of padded, illusory tricks to create depth and length. The first game to actually be meaty enough to hold up was Final fantasy that paved the way and maybe they do deserve praise for that but they've been outdone too with I am setsuna and games like it. 

Every genre has been outdone and refined and continues to be improved on with indies to kickstarters and other fan funded stuff. These games today could not exist without those games but to say they are better...that's so ignorant yo what is available today as I've only touched on a small fraction which I believe outright beat the generations anyway and they do it for a small fraction of the cost of those games on release. Like 10% in most cases,on average if you're in Ireland (not sure how it would go with inflation else where).

Variety, genres? Nothing. I repeat, an incomplete list. 5th gen would include for example Colony Wars, Wing Commander, G-Police. Anything? Blood Omen Legacy of Kain, Resident Evil (1-3)? There is nothing remotely as refined and outstanding.

Until recently i played They're Billions (then GoW released). A good game, but first and foremost finally a good indie RTS that stands out. Alas, it is early access and feels as incomplete and insignificant as other indie games i've played. Will it be ever finished? I don't count on it. I bought it because it piqued my interest and although content is lacking, i can enjoy it. But it's no SuddenStrike, no C&C, no Warzone 2100 ... 

The question of there be any good fighting/beat em up games wasn't rethorical. Ok, maybe it was, because i know i'm pretty sure there aren't any.

Some of the games you list aren't even indie. Ori may have started out as independent production, but it was published by Microsoft, and Microsoft owns the rights to the IP. Resogun, Sony. Calling Senuas Sacrifice an indie is also quite the stretch. The game was developed and published by Ninja Theory, an industry veteran. The latest Resident Evil was developed and published by Capcom. Technically, it makes it indie. Yea, i know the difference, but you don't seem to mind sticking to formalities.

"this list would be 20 or 30 atrong"

You didn't even notice that i wasn't aiming for sheer numbers. Ye, thats the problem with egocentric gamers of these days. When their needs are satisfied, everyone else must feel the same way.

Did i mention the latest TW? I did. Feels just like 15 years. AI is as dumb as ever. Golden Age of gaming my heini. People should be more careful with the use of superlatives.

Hunting Season is done...

John2290 said:
I had no idea this would be so divisive, I thought everyone was having a blast this generation more so than generations past. It saddens me a little to see I am among the few who see it this way.

I mean, did you really expect people to view this generation as a "golden age" when all the big publishers and the big 3 are willingly screwing over their customers? Aside from some good games we really aren't getting anything new or groundbreaking with consoles and games. Instead, gamers these days are forced to pay more for less and the industry as a whole has become accepting of unfinished and mediocre games, unfair business practices, paid or biased reviews, micro transactions you name it.

The golden age started in 1991 and died in 2005 (sometime before or after the 360 launch)

Angelus said:
contestgamer said:

LOL at mentioning get out as a "great" movie. It was good. All time great? Hell no. Hmmm. Ben Hur or get out? God father or get out? Cant decide... Three billboards and Dunkirk were very good, but they weren't on the level of all time great movies from the 70s, 80s 90s. Raging bull or Three billboards? Apocalypse now or Dunkirk? Heck Dunkirk doesnt even crack the top 5 war movies of all time list. So far it seems more in this thread itself agree that past movies ere better than today. Most of the IMB ratings agree in fact with old movies dominating the rankings. 

Way to miss the point entirely

And if anything is "LOL" worthy here it's your readiness to ride the train of popular opinion when it suits you, despite stating many times in this thread how much you despise a whole bunch of things currently popular. The irony is real

Miss me with your deliberately ignorant method of arguing.

Watch some movies made before 2015 then get back to me.

Around the Network
contestgamer said:
Angelus said:

Way to miss the point entirely

And if anything is "LOL" worthy here it's your readiness to ride the train of popular opinion when it suits you, despite stating many times in this thread how much you despise a whole bunch of things currently popular. The irony is real

Miss me with your deliberately ignorant method of arguing.

I think we both know we're done here

Angelus said:
contestgamer said:

I think we both know we're done here

Now we are.

Not at all.

The golden age was the jump to 3D, where a whole new dimension and countless new gaming experiences got created. That is where the boom of innovation happened.

Nowadays it's mostly FPS' and open worlds. Theres hardly anything groundbreaking or exciting. Back then, people argued that games were art. Nowadays that notion is long gone. It's just a cynical cash grab 95% of the time.

So, i'd say late Mega drive/Super Nintendo and Saturn/N64/Playstation era.

Golden age? More like dark ages. Yes, games are more advanced than they ever were... duh. That could've been said at any given period and it would've been true. I mean it's not like technology is regressing. But theres less variety and innovation than in the 90s and 00s. And more shady and greedy practices. Even the indie scene is nowhere near as exciting as it was around 2010.

If you want my opinion, gaming peaked in 2011. Ever since then it grew stale, and the advancements are only superficial, like bigger worlds and better graphics. No, one or two masterpieces don't change anything. I mean how can you talk about golden age when so many people call for another crash or just downright boycott the industry.

After some thought, I feel as though it's not a matter of a 'golden age' of gaming, but more so that this gen (and Switch) are really picking up now. It felt like a slow start in the beginning, but now the big hit games have started to make their appearances on different consoles.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread