By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games/Genres That Need More Clones

Whenever I see a ton of high quality FPS games, GOTY Action games, or excellent retro 2D Platforming games, or any common genre of video game, I appreciate it for what it is, but there is so much more variety of under-served specific gameplay types that developers could be making.

Whether it is a unique spin or even straight up cloning and refining an already fun game. It seems some games have only itself or a very sparse few games in all of history that are similar to its particular genre or gameplay.

Examples (just off the top of my head):

-E.V.O.: Search for Eden
-Bushido Blade
-Blast Corps
-Katamari Damacy
-Super Monkey Ball
-Advanced Wars
-Jet Set Radio
-Crazy Taxi
-Mega Man Legends
-Total Annihilation
-Sacrifice
-Heroes of Might and Magic III
-Awesomenauts
-Dungeon Defenders
-Burnout Revenge
-SSX Tricky
-Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts
-Time Crisis II
-Time Splitters 2
-Jambo Safari
-Fortune Street

These are all fun games that have so few games similar to them this generation that they could really use some more clones/games of the same genre.

And yes, some of those games do have games similar to them,
but that is super spare in scale of how much choice I would have compared to the sheer sea of retro platforming games I could never play all of.

Really, even something like a Diablo Clone with probably 90+ games in its genre throughout history is relatively under-served by comparison of how many choices people have in that genre on current gaming platforms.

So, what specific games/genres do you guys think need more clones that would give players more choices, or even just a chance to play that kind of game at all on modern platforms?

Around the Network

Holy crap, somebody who remembers E.V.O. Search for Eden, wow. I second that, I'd love to see a fresh new take on it. It does things that games today still don't do. The evolution aspect was superb and I'd like to see it replicated as well.

A full 3D Fighter like Bushido Blade would be nice as well, especially with the controls in game design we have today.

Personally, I'd like to see more Mario Party clones because well, Nintendo isn't going to make a good one anytime soon.

I need a new Ridge Racer like the game on PSP. Probably my favorite racing game of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Bushido Blade needs to return. It was a fighting game that actually felt like it was trying to be realistic. My friend and I played the heck out of it.

Likewise, I'd love to see another Way of the Samurai but with a far better budget. The branching path style was awesome.

SSX Tricky was my favorite game in the series by far. Tons of games have had "snowboard down the mountain" as the main theme but Tricky was different.

It's not the game listed in the OP but I'd kill for another Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes. Loved that game to death. I've probably beat it half a dozen times.

It's not a genre itself but I really liked the multiple protagonist setup for Suikoden 3. It was a fantastic idea for a game.

Euro jank needs a lot more clones.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Old school Fallout 1+2..... Id like some more clones plz.

Ljink96 said:
Holy crap, somebody who remembers E.V.O. Search for Eden, wow. I second that, I'd love to see a fresh new take on it. It does things that games today still don't do. The evolution aspect was superb and I'd like to see it replicated as well.

A full 3D Fighter like Bushido Blade would be nice as well, especially with the controls in game design we have today.

Personally, I'd like to see more Mario Party clones because well, Nintendo isn't going to make a good one anytime soon.

Evolution games are so incredibly rare in any variety, it is kind of silly so few developers even approach the theme, given how life on Earth revolves around evolution.

Bushido Blade is ironically the most realistic fighter ever made basically, with how many developers focus on rralism, they sure have been diligent in never crossing that into fighting games unless it is boxing for some reason (which is not as interesting as realism with weapon based fighting).

Good call on Mario Party, It is weird that a lot of these examples are not unknown or anything and yet developers that clone so many of common game genres never thing to do under-served stuff like Mario Party that sells well and isn't that extravagant of a game design.

I think it is a human thing to create what is commonly created even with quality reference work that would be more stand out.

In many ways, I think that is why big first party games that launch with a console direct the genre/developer trends on a platform so much.

A high quality, well designed, big selling, first party game proves an audience is on a platform and third party developer follow that lead.

Like how Super Mario Bros. led to many third party developers doing 2d platforming games on NES, Halo pushed a lot of developers to make FPS on OG Xbox, etc.

I'm still shocked that almost no one has riffed on the interconnected platform-adventure formula from Banjo-Tooie, 18 years ago. I guess Super Mario Odyssey is kinda close?

This seems like such a slam dunk, but no studio has really bothered.

Puzzle games in the vein of Portal / The Talos Principle. There's plenty of puzzle games out there, but I've found little when it comes to replicate those two specific games, which are fairly unique on their own.

I was gonna say Advance Wars but you've already said Advance Wars. Now I can't say Advance Wars.

Advance Wars.