By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Red Dead Redemption 2: New Details And Screenshots

Looking good can't wait

Around the Network

Not only is Red Dead Redemption 2 the biggest game it has created in terms of sheer size – its massive Wild West environment is fit to burst with activities, mini-games, side quests, story missions and more – the level of immersion the developer is aiming for is the deepest it’s ever been. As Rockstar North’s Co-Studio Head Rob Nelson explains, the character and story in Red Dead Redemption 2 are as much of a deep dive as the massive in-game world.

“We have a wide open space, but you’ve got wider open space with the character you’re playing as well,” says Nelson.

“We want to go deeper into the whole experience  - as wide as we can go - the things you can do with the character, the directions you can take [the protagonist], the choices you can make and how they affect his reaction to the things that are happening to him and his family and his gang; to see how much you can interact with that and what is his capacity for change.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/features/red-dead-redemption-2-rockstar-building-biggest-ever-game/

The PS5 Exists. 

For some reason I have never been interested in westerns, I only liked Dead Man the movie.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

I know it will have microtransactions but it doesn't bother me because it looks to be the best open world game this gen. I'll gladly play the single player while people who like to complain will keep complaining about shark cards in the online free roam.

shikamaru317 said:
GOWTLOZ said:
I know it will have microtransactions but it doesn't bother me because it looks to be the best open world game this gen. I'll gladly play the single player while people who like to complain will keep complaining about shark cards in the online free roam.

As long as the microtransactions are for the online mode I personally don't care. 

Same here.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Hmmm, I can believe it has more content that GTA V's singleplayer did, but I find it hard to believe that the RDR2 map is bigger than GTA V. The map leaked like 2 years ago, and the leak has been confirmed with town names in the previews and screenshots, and the leaked map looked like it was about 1.4x the size of RDR1's map. GTA V's map was said to be approximately the size of RDR1, San Andreas, and GTA IV's maps combined as I recall. Maybe they've made RDR2's map bigger in the last 2 years, but it's hard to believe they made it bigger than the GTA V map in that amount of time. Here is the leaked map, sized compared with the RDR1 map (supposedly West Elizabeth is on both maps).

San Andreas map size: 14 miles squared

GTA IV map size: 7 miles squared

RDR1 map size: 28 miles squared

GTA V map size: 50 miles squared

I can't see anything gained from exaggerating, so I tend to believe it.

The PS5 Exists. 

I'd say RDR2 doesn't necessarily have to feature Rockstar's largest map to feel like it's largest game. Lets not forget, in GTA you can travel the map with cars, and planes moving at 100s of miles per hour. That being the case, there's sort of a demand for more space to let you really spread your legs, so to speak. In Red Dead you're on horseback, doing what....maybe 60 at most? And not consistently either, because your horse has stamina. Specifics aside, the point is that the space automatically feels grander, because there's never the potential for you to just step on the turbo, and zip past 10 miles or so at the drop of a hat.

Angelus said:
I'd say RDR2 doesn't necessarily have to feature Rockstar's largest map to feel like it's largest game. Lets not forget, in GTA you can travel the map with cars, and planes moving at 100s of miles per hour. That being the case, there's sort of a demand for more space to let you really spread your legs, so to speak. In Red Dead you're on horseback, doing what....maybe 60 at most? And not consistently either, because your horse has stamina. Specifics aside, the point is that the space automatically feels grander, because there's never the potential for you to just step on the turbo, and zip past 10 miles or so at the drop of a hat.

That is exactly how I feel about it too, but if it is bigger, there are sure to be some nice and lonesome moments when we can get away, set up camp and just spend a few days hunting. That's what I'm looking forward.

The PS5 Exists. 

John2290 said:

For a game that has that skyrim feel of stunted traversal, that's a bloody MASSIVE map. It may not be bigger than GTA5 but it'll certainly feel as if it is. Just cause 2 and 3 have some of the biggest maps in gaming but they don't feel very big after you've been playing and zooming around it in a rocket plane, making all those expansive fields and forests just a pointless backdrop. Every foot of RDR will get it's moment and that level of scale to real life really makes up for map size. In fact, I'm pretty thankful for R* not going way over board and focusing on the world making it feel living rather than expansive and dead. The old mp being in there makes me a little worried for the parity between the new and the old but it's certainly welcome as that nostalgia hit will do leaps and bounds for the game, I can't count the hours I spent riding around West elisibeth just looking at the scenery and waiting for the perfect sunrise. 

You will have trains but those will only take you to designated places.

The PS5 Exists.