By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Labo is a huge ripoff and a waste of a great concept (so far)

DonFerrari said:
Mandalore76 said:

Those practices seem tyrannical when viewed through a pinhole, until you see that they were necessary in order to revive the video game market in North America.  Atari, which had no such restrictive measures in place allowed the 2600 to drown in a glut of shovelware that turned consumers off from video games for almost half a decade (the video game market in NA crashed in 1983, the NES exploded in popularity 87-88, peaking in 88-89).

Sorry but there is a complete middle ground between the tyrannic practices of Nintendo (which as positive effect made publishers open a lot of subsidiaries to launch more games) and the complete lack of control and quality. And Nintendo kept a lot of those on SNES (which was already past the market crash) and some bad practices they kept for even longer... the high price and low cost they still keep.

What SNES era tactics are we talking about?

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
DonFerrari said:

Sorry but there is a complete middle ground between the tyrannic practices of Nintendo (which as positive effect made publishers open a lot of subsidiaries to launch more games) and the complete lack of control and quality. And Nintendo kept a lot of those on SNES (which was already past the market crash) and some bad practices they kept for even longer... the high price and low cost they still keep.

Do you know that several "ports" had to be made by different companies and had different content because Nintendo didn't allow a company that developed for SNES to develop for any other company right?

Nintendo didn't just call out all their tyranny after NES saved the market. It is one of the biggest reason for PS1 to have got such big support so early in its lifetime. Companies wanted to get out of Nintendo claws.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

RaptorChrist said:
So yeah, you're paying $70 for cardboard... But can't you say the same about all videogames; just swap out cardboard for plastic (the disc).

Not saying your points aren't valid, but it's just been bugging me a bit to see people not make that connection.

I haven't bought Labo yet, and I may never (at the price it's currently at). I'd love to get it and put it together with my daughter, but it doesn't look like these are things meant to be taken apart, and I have little room to store extra boxes, so it would likely get thrown away. Can't imagine people wanting to buy a used Labo kit, but who knows...

I would say that beside people being used to pay 60usd for a game and knowing that the development cost for some games are several million and sometimes hundred millions for games they enjoy for a long time (both play time and that the cartridge or disc keep working for a very long time), they don't really see that same value/cost/durability in a cardboard box that they have seem cardboard for a long time costing pennies.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

I think the OP is exaggerating a bit but i do agree with some of his points. Each of the different Toy-Cons are fun but lacking in content.

Motorbike-While you can create your own tracks, the game only comes with a single, 3 track cup. It should have 3-4 cups.

House-Comes with a few minigames to interact with the critter. It either needs a handful more minigames or more depth to each minigame.

Fishing Rod-It only includes a single level with a dozen or so fish to catch. It should have a handful of different environments with different fish.

Piano-The tutorial does a great job of explaining all the features but it expects you to already know how to play piano. It should have some basic piano lessons for beginners.

Overall I still really like Labo, creating each of the Toy-Cons is a blast and each game is fun but somewhat shallow and causes it to be good instead of great.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

DonFerrari said:
Mandalore76 said:

Do you know that several "ports" had to be made by different companies and had different content because Nintendo didn't allow a company that developed for SNES to develop for any other company right?

Nintendo didn't just call out all their tyranny after NES saved the market. It is one of the biggest reason for PS1 to have got such big support so early in its lifetime. Companies wanted to get out of Nintendo claws.

1.)     

One of the most well known instances of the different content in an SNES port is the blood in Mortal Kombat, which was a family friendly stance Nintendo took at a time when congressional hearings were taking place regarding violence in video games without any ratings system in place.  Ed Boon, one of MK's creators, agreed with Nintendo's stance as it helped lead to the creation of the ESRB.

“The controversy with the game originally was because there was no rating system in place, and people were objecting to the fact that a game that was as violent as it is, did not have a rating,” Boon said. “I agree with that idea. The rating system is great. The censorship with the SNES version was a response to that. Nintendo felt like they had an obligation to not offer something like this to a system that’s played by many young players.  But after we had the rating system in place, they felt, OK, if there’s a rating on the box and people understand it’s a violent game, then it’s OK to sell it because it’s intended for an older audience.”

2.)  I think most would concur that the storage capacity of discs over cartridges was the deciding factor in PS1 third party support.  If the N64 were disc based, Final Fantasy 7 would not have been a PS1 exclusive.  Metal Gear Solid, another of PS1 biggest exclusives, was originally being developed for Panasonic's 3DO (disc based system) and only switched development to PlayStation when the 3DO console bombed.  Tomb Raider II was originally also being developed for Sega Saturn (disc based system), but Sony got Eidos to sign an exclusivity deal in September 1997 which cut off both Sega and Nintendo from all Tomb Raider games (something which if done by Nintendo would probably merit would probably be deemed as greedy or tyrannical).

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
DonFerrari said:

1.)     

One of the most well known instances of the different content in an SNES port is the blood in Mortal Kombat, which was a family friendly stance Nintendo took at a time when congressional hearings were taking place regarding violence in video games without any ratings system in place.  Ed Boon, one of MK's creators, agreed with Nintendo's stance as it helped lead to the creation of the ESRB.

“The controversy with the game originally was because there was no rating system in place, and people were objecting to the fact that a game that was as violent as it is, did not have a rating,” Boon said. “I agree with that idea. The rating system is great. The censorship with the SNES version was a response to that. Nintendo felt like they had an obligation to not offer something like this to a system that’s played by many young players.  But after we had the rating system in place, they felt, OK, if there’s a rating on the box and people understand it’s a violent game, then it’s OK to sell it because it’s intended for an older audience.”

2.)  I think most would concur that the storage capacity of discs over cartridges was the deciding factor in PS1 third party support.  If the N64 were disc based, Final Fantasy 7 would not have been a PS1 exclusive.  Metal Gear Solid, another of PS1 biggest exclusives, was originally being developed for Panasonic's 3DO (disc based system) and only switched development to PlayStation when the 3DO console bombed.  Tomb Raider II was originally also being developed for Sega Saturn (disc based system), but Sony got Eidos to sign an exclusivity deal in September 1997 which cut off both Sega and Nintendo from all Tomb Raider games (something which if done by Nintendo would probably merit would probably be deemed as greedy or tyrannical).

Street Fighter is not a good example, it was exclusive to Nintendo for 2 years.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Mandalore76 said:
DonFerrari said:

1.)     

Have you played the games you posted or just posted them?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/372chj/why_did_konami_and_capcom_make_snes_and_genesis/

http://nerdtrek.com/nintendos-restrictive-licensing-history/

As I said... Nintendo restriction on publishing of several games made even games you posted like Disney games have different levels, developers, etc.

2) Most would list storage as a reason, but considering Nintendo have had difficult to get 3rd party support until Switch shows you how much they have damaged their relationship to those companies mostly because of their tyrannic posture on earlier years.

zorg1000 said:
Mandalore76 said:

1.)     

Super Street Fighter II

Super NES, Sega Mega Drive/Genesis

• JP: June 25, 1994
  • NA: July 18, 1994
  • EU: August 1994

Mandalore76 said:
zorg1000 said:

Super Street Fighter II

Street Fighter II released in June 1992 for SNES, no version of it came to Genesis until Sept 1993.

zorg1000 said:
Mandalore76 said:

Super Street Fighter II

Street Fighter II released in June 1992 for SNES, no version of it came to Genesis until Sept 1993.

Regardless of the 15 months you are pointing to, Capcom still handled both ports, which is what was questioned.