By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Labo is a huge ripoff and a waste of a great concept (so far)

DonFerrari said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

The funny thing is Nintendo games are much cheaper in 2018 than they were in the 90s. Try $74.99 for DKC and Street Fighter II Turbo back in the day. With adjusted inflation thats over $100, those games were nothing content wise compared to Odyssey and BOTW (both of which HAVE been discounted this year at retail). Yet everyone is insatiable these days...

And Nintendo games are more expensive than their competitors, your point? This just go to the other thread where I said there is a lot of Nintendo fans that defends their bad practices of keeping 4y old titles at 60USD as something good to keep the value of the game instead of be like other customers that prefer pricecuts for the older product so more people can buy more games. Funny enough is possible that at the same time they will be complaining about a console from the competition releasing for 500.

I'm pretty sure it's been established that nobody likes a console at $500.  It's the reason why the Wii was dominant last gen, and the 360 was ahead of the PS3 up until the tail end thanks to its $499-$599 launch price.  It's also the reason why Kinect got axed from the Xbox One to get the price down to $399 from its $499 launch.  $399 is pretty much the ceiling for any console of any power level in order to achieve mass adoption. 

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

The funny thing is Nintendo games are much cheaper in 2018 than they were in the 90s. Try $74.99 for DKC and Street Fighter II Turbo back in the day. With adjusted inflation thats over $100, those games were nothing content wise compared to Odyssey and BOTW (both of which HAVE been discounted this year at retail). Yet everyone is insatiable these days...

And Nintendo games are more expensive than their competitors, your point? This just go to the other thread where I said there is a lot of Nintendo fans that defends their bad practices of keeping 4y old titles at 60USD as something good to keep the value of the game instead of be like other customers that prefer pricecuts for the older product so more people can buy more games. Funny enough is possible that at the same time they will be complaining about a console from the competition releasing for 500.

Technically Nintendo games aren't more expensive than their competitors, they just do not receive fervent discounts as often as their competitors. I know people like to push the narrative that Nintendo is greedy but there's more to it than that IMO. First, if the demand is high for their software, why would they cut into their own profits by offering discounts for a high demand product? Doesn't sound like smart business to me. Second, offering your product at discount prices cheapens perceived value. You never see Apple offering heavy discounts for their product, and their product remains in high demand with incredible resale value, it actually benefits the consumer as well. Third, a big chunk of Nintendo's profits come from their software. Microsoft and Sony make huge profits from their online services and more than likely offset discounts because of money that can be made through in game purchases etc;

Still at the end of the day, not sure why people who probably won't buy Nintendo products feel the need to complain about their business practices. 

Mandalore76 said:
DonFerrari said:

I'm pretty sure it's been established that nobody likes a console at $500.  It's the reason why the Wii was dominant last gen, and the 360 was ahead of the PS3 up until the tail end thanks to its $499-$599 launch price.  It's also the reason why Kinect got axed from the Xbox One to get the price down to $399 from its $499 launch.  $399 is pretty much the ceiling for any console of any power level in order to achieve mass adoption. 

You can bet some defended the price point, and others that criticized it would defend it if Nintendo had done, as some have defended X1X.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
DonFerrari said:

Technically Nintendo games aren't more expensive than their competitors, they just do not receive fervent discounts as often as their competitors. I know people like to push the narrative that Nintendo is greedy but there's more to it than that IMO. First, if the demand is high for their software, why would they cut into their own profits by offering discounts for a high demand product? Doesn't sound like smart business to me. Second, offering your product at discount prices cheapens perceived value. You never see Apple offering heavy discounts for their product, and their product remains in high demand with incredible resale value, it actually benefits the consumer as well. Third, a big chunk of Nintendo's profits come from their software. Microsoft and Sony make huge profits from their online services and more than likely offset discounts because of money that can be made through in game purchases etc;

Still at the end of the day, not sure why people who probably won't buy Nintendo products feel the need to complain about their business practices. 

There was no online profits on PS2, third parties doesn't make money from PS+ and XBL and still we had price cuts on the SW after like 6-12 months of release. And the point is when all competitors do discount earlier and we know that most of them have their SW costing more to make and selling lower, then Nintendo is getting the higher profit margins that aren't even reinvested, so myself as customer fell being ripped-off.

Not sure why they would. I complain because I purchase their products but usually way later because of their price practices.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Mandalore76 said:

You can bet some defended the price point, and others that criticized it would defend it if Nintendo had done, as some have defended X1X.

PortisheadBiscuit said:

There was no online profits on PS2, third parties doesn't make money from PS+ and XBL and still we had price cuts on the SW after like 6-12 months of release. And the point is when all competitors do discount earlier and we know that most of them have their SW costing more to make and selling lower, then Nintendo is getting the higher profit margins that aren't even reinvested, so myself as customer fell being ripped-off.

Not sure why they would. I complain because I purchase their products but usually way later because of their price practices.

Again, if the market value for Nintendo 1st party titles is higher, consumers dictate that not Nintendo. If people felt as a whole they were too expensive, they wouldn't buy it. Cant ask Nintendo to cut into their profit because of a relatively small percentage of disgruntled consumers. 

DonFerrari said:
Mandalore76 said:

PortisheadBiscuit said:

You went from saying "a lot of Nintendo fans" to just some.  So, now it sounds like you are talking about a "vocal minority".  Every fanbase has extremists.

Around the Network
PortisheadBiscuit said:
DonFerrari said:

Again, if the market value for Nintendo 1st party titles is higher, consumers dictate that not Nintendo. If people felt as a whole they were too expensive, they wouldn't buy it. Cant ask Nintendo to cut into their profit because of a relatively small percentage of disgruntled consumers. 

And you can't ask me to not call it greedy.

Mandalore76 said:
DonFerrari said:

You went from saying "a lot of Nintendo fans" to just some.  So, now it sounds like you are talking about a "vocal minority".  Every fanbase has extremists.

Wouldn't say it is a vocal minority, at least not when looking at VGC. I have had this discussion about it on a thread just this week, won't do it again.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

Mandalore76 said:

Wouldn't say it is a vocal minority, at least not when looking at VGC. I have had this discussion about it on a thread just this week, won't do it again.

I would say that the amount of people who take the time to frequent and post in video game forums are a vocal minority.  

Mandalore76 said:
DonFerrari said:

I would say that the amount of people who take the time to frequent and post in video game forums are a vocal minority.  

Then we should dismiss all said here as representation of the fanbase?

But considering how much the "evergreen" of Nintendo sell at full price for several years, I would say that at large the user base support the practice.

DonFerrari said:
Mandalore76 said:

Then we should dismiss all said here as representation of the fanbase?

But considering how much the "evergreen" of Nintendo sell at full price for several years, I would say that at large the user base support the practice.

I merely caution that video game forum posters are not representative of the video game buying public at large.  To think so is folly.

To your claim of Nintendo being "greedy", their sole business is to sell video games.  It's not a side venture where they also sell computers, movies, dvds, music cds, televisions, etc.  They don't do annual releases of titles like Call of Duty, Fifa, Madden, Assassin's Creed, etc where they would need to slash prices to get rid of old stock and make room the next title.  They do, however, have a Nintendo Selects line with reduced pricing for their best selling games same as Sony and Microsoft have with "Greatest Hits/Essentials" and "Platinum Hits/Xbox Classics". 

This doesn't mean that I agree with all of Nintendo's pricing decisions.  Their chosen price point for Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze would be a good example of that.  I bought the game on Wii U, but will not be buying it on Switch.

So let me try to rationalize this.

OP bought a thing, he didn't like said thing.

OP was feeling buyer's remorse, so he made a thread calling the thing a "rip-off".

OP allegedly says he was highly in favor for the thing after watching the initial reveal trailer, so it's safe to say he knew enough about the product beforehand.

Conclusion: Labo isn't the problem here, you just had unrealistic expectations for a product you thought you were on board with and realized too late that it just wasn't the thing for you.